joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 00z NAM looks about the same as the 18z run to me.

It's definitely not the same. WNC gets 1/3 the amount of snow it showed on the 18Z and gives many mountain locations 0.25-0.40" of ice. That's a huge change. I can't quite figure it out yet, but seems the warm nose is much more robust and precip coverage (QPF) is a lot less too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's definitely not the same. WNC gets 1/3 the amount of snow it showed on the 18Z and gives many mountain locations 0.25-0.40" of ice. That's a huge change. I can't quite figure it out yet, but seems the warm nose is much more robust and precip coverage (QPF) is a lot less too.

Looks the same Qpf and snow output wise for the foothills and NW Piedmont CAD areas.

The NAM could likely be on to something. We should not discount it at this range

I hate short range models, they always find a way to screw us, right at game time...............

Right? I'm getting January 2014 vibes with this storm. I was forecasted by the mid-long range models to get a changeover to snow from sleet/ice, then the short range models started showing I would never change over, but like many here I held onto to hope that it was overestimating the temps. VERY disappointing day for me meanwhile 25 miles northeast got snow while I got stuck with ice and sleet.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be a debbie downer....just saying...B E P R E P A R E D so you won't get disappointed like me on that faithful day.

Archived