joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 17-18th Cape Scrape and Inverted Trough

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if winds go to NE..maybe east slopes of ORH hills can get a little boost.

That will often happen when you have a coastal system offshore like that. Get that extra little boost of the easterly component, so there could be an area of enhanced convergence for a time. I wouldn't be shocked if there was a weenie band for a bit.

Yeah we'll see. It wasn't totally inv trough like either which makes it more widespread. I think even ORH county and into CT may get a good 1-2 perhaps if the RAP is right.

Yeah looked like more general light snows for most of eastern half of SNE...with IVT more closer to BOS and coast line.

I like this event because its going to snow here, and down there, lol.  Probably a stripe of 2-4" of 15:1 ratio snow from BTV to BOS.

That will often happen when you have a coastal system offshore like that. Get that extra little boost of the easterly component, so there could be an area of enhanced convergence for a time. I wouldn't be shocked if there was a weenie band for a bit.

It almost looks like that happens late tonight, right where the trough sort of stalls before heading east.

Good Euro run there...might have to watch for sneaky late advisory for SE MA and perhaps even BOS to cape Ann.

This is a pretty classic looking NORLUN band on the oper. GFS synopsis for 12z Monday - 00z Tuesday..

post-904-0-16418900-1453055323_thumb.jpg

Don't quote me on this ... but it just seems from my experience that there is a tendency for modeling to miss when these things over-produce.  They may do well enough in sniffing out the 'construct' of them, but less so in the QPF department.  The last 4 cycles of the oper. GFS has been getting ever more coherent looking with this band, and taking that trend further...one could easily wind up with that sort of scenario like you say...

Not to fluff this little critter any more than it already has ... but, keep in mind that will tend to snow better by street light and backyard, relative to radar presentations.  It depends what level the best snow growth is taking place in ...where the rad beam may miss the bottom region of that sigma level, thus category lower on frames than is actually occurring beneath cloud base.   

Not to fluff this little critter any more than it already has ... but, keep in mind that will tend to snow better by street light and backyard, relative to radar presentations.  It depends what level the best snow growth is taking place in ...where the rad beam may miss the bottom region of that sigma level, thus category lower on frames than is actually occurring beneath cloud base.   

Just use the weymouth radar. Tonight is perfect for it

A little warm at the surface the further south and east you are. I wonder if the jackpot is between BOS and the Cape somewhere just off the coast on rt 3? 

I would put up advisories for barnstable, plymouth, norfolk, suffolk, essex counties. Wait on middlesex because I'm not sure yet but it will definitely snow there too.

My heart on these types of things is usually cape ann/cod, or maine.... Have trouble believing BOS is going to be one of the jacks 

A little warm at the surface the further south and east you are. I wonder if the jackpot is between BOS and the Cape somewhere just off the coast on rt 3? 

I would put up advisories for barnstable, plymouth, norfolk, suffolk, essex counties. Wait on middlesex because I'm not sure yet but it will definitely snow there too.

My heart on these types of things is usually cape ann/cod, or maine.... Have trouble believing BOS is going to be one of the jacks

We snow... modestly.  These often only kiss the SNE coastline but this one is tracking further west than originally progged.  I am feeling pretty solid about an advisory event  here with more locally to the coast and on the cape.

At any rate, this system sets the stage for what's to come.

Archived