CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 12-13th Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's getting massive orographic lift from all directions.  The valley is far too narrow for that to make a difference.  He's acting on the terrain all around him.

Looking at the topo map... you see just behind him is a hillside that rises from 400ft to over 3,000ft (immediately to his NNW).  To his SSW is Camels Hump which is over 4,000ft.  The valley he is in is so narrow it doesn't act like a valley...any air moving through there is getting forced up in almost all directions.  NW flow snow blows up over the ridgeline and the hillside is steep enough it just blows down into his neighborhood.  Think 40kts NW wind and snow over the Spine, its ending up in his yard, lol.

attachicon.gifWaterbury.jpg

It is a narrow slot through the spine, relatively speaking and each side of the valley rises rather steeply.

I saw these posts from earlier with respect to observations from this event.  For those unfamiliar with the area, PF and mreaves have described it well; you’re pretty much talking about a narrow notch in a massive wall, and moisture trying to pass through apparently gets wrung out.  I think a good perspective on the location comes from a diagram I created for a discussion in the forum last year – it’s a Google Earth map looking at the wall of the Greens from west, showing how the Winooski Valley cuts through it.  The vertical dimension is enhanced for visualization, but it’s a good look at what’s going on.  My location is around where the "y" is in Winooski Valley, and you can see the center of Waterbury roughly 2 to 3 miles behind that point.

01JAN15B.jpg

I saw these posts from earlier with respect to observations from this event.  For those unfamiliar with the area, PF and mreaves have described it well; you’re pretty much talking about a narrow notch in a massive wall, and moisture trying to pass through apparently gets wrung out.  I think a good perspective on the location comes from a diagram I created for a discussion in the forum last year – it’s a Google Earth map looking at the wall of the Greens from west, showing how the Winooski Valley cuts through it.  The vertical dimension is enhanced for visualization, but it’s a good look at what’s going on.  My location is around where the "y" is in Winooski Valley, and you can see the center of Waterbury roughly 2 to 3 miles behind that point.

01JAN15B.jpg

Wow. That is pretty amazing stuff.  Just a whole other world up there.

Got a good scalping here near the Falmouth line in Portland. Probably 2.5 to 3 inches before the change over.

Mesonet obs show cold is coming back in from the west quickly, so we might have a bang of an ending. More flakes starting to mix back in now. But overall pretty close to expected. Maybe inland from here did slightly better than expected yesterday.

Archived