joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna be an interesting first test for my new location. I definitely realize I will lose some snow due to my move south but I'm pretty intrigued by the rural aspect of ny location...longitude is same as my Leesburg location...altitude is similar...latitude obviously south...UHI non existent. I'm gonna need a different way to troll Phineas now...going to be easy to troll Ji

hopefully we are not getting ahead of ourselves.  we have been closer than this for sure and seen things turn for the worse.  going from 20 inches to 15 or 10 is like who cares.  But going from 20 to 2 or less is gut wrenching.  I know we have great model consistency but nothing is ever sure around here until its actually snowing.   

Seems like the probability of the WAA part of the storm is pretty high even at 4 days out. Every single model from the all stars to the jv second string shows it. What happens after that is where the wheels can come off in a hurry. 

Unless we start losing the front side I'm fairly confident in a warning level event happening. 12z tomorrow is probably the earliest we can start feeling high confidence. 

Gonna be an interesting first test for my new location. I definitely realize I will lose some snow due to my move south but I'm pretty intrigued by the rural aspect of ny location...longitude is same as my Leesburg location...altitude is similar...latitude obviously south...UHI non existent. I'm gonna need a different way to troll Phineas now...going to be easy to troll Ji

the R/S line usually sets up along 28. 

Seems like the probability of the WAA part of the storm is pretty high even at 4 days out. Every single model from the all stars to the jv second string shows it. What happens after that is where the wheels can come off in a hurry. 

Unless we start losing the front side I'm fairly confident in a warning level event happening. 12z tomorrow is probably the earliest we can start feeling high confidence. 

I know.  I was saying it more for my benefit so I am not looking for a ledge if things go south...or north...or west.  who am I kidding I am sitting on a ledge right now.

can someone make a list of all the models available (free) for people? Maybe a pinned thread with ONLY the links so everyone knows where to go? I don't have a clue where Para and stuff are... and hate having to ask people to tell me what it looks like. 

can someone make a list of all the models available (free) for people? Maybe a pinned thread with ONLY the links so everyone knows where to go? I don't have a clue where Para and stuff are... and hate having to ask people to tell me what it looks like. 

Something like the old days of SACRUS (sp) storm tracking threads but with model links would definitely be useful. 

I've seen people mention instant weather maps, which I've used upon occasion of late.  The NCEP site for the GFS/NAM is pretty slow and comes out later compared to where most people look.

As for the GFS para, I don't have it bookmarked.  But what I do is just go to the regular NCEP MAG page...and in the address change "mag" to "mageval" and you're there.  The para page looks identical to the ops one in terms of how it's set up.

Here's the para gfs MG. Just click which part you want.

http://mageval.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model%20Guidance&model=gfs&area=namer&cycle=20160112%2012%20UTC&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fourpan=no&imageSize=M&ps=model

Hello you princes of Maryland, you kings of the Mid-Atlantic!

Just stopping through -- taking a break from my incredibly busy schedule in the New England subforum -- to wish the Mid-Atlantic snow fiends the best of luck with the Friday-Saturday business.

I know it's been a while since you got properly clocked; hoping it pans out for you.

Hello you princes of Maryland, you kings of the Mid-Atlantic!

Just stopping through -- taking a break from my incredibly busy schedule in the New England subforum -- to wish the Mid-Atlantic snow fiends the best of luck with the Friday-Saturday business.

I know it's been a while since you got properly clocked; hoping it pans out for you.

you are doing gods work up there so we appreciate any chance you grace us with your presence.  Feel free to stop in anytime as we welcome old friends.

Seriously, thanks for saying hello.  :)

Archived