• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

I was wondering about this today. How hard is it to get sustained high latitude blocking without help from the stratosphere? We've got a vortex just ripping up there in the strat with no signs of slowing. Any blocking is coming from more transient tropospheric influences.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering about this today. How hard is it to get sustained high latitude blocking without help from the stratosphere? We've got a vortex just ripping up there in the strat with no signs of slowing. Any blocking is coming from more transient tropospheric influences.

2015 did ok, transient is fine. Sustained blocking is somewhat overated

It's all fun for most.

Dawned on me overnight that 20 ECMWF and 40 GFS to go. I predict the event will go poof and then re-appear inside D5. Watching OES, WV imagery is not the same. Discussion of squalls windex style, lapse-rates,temperature freefall, moisture transport and wind trajectory to keep the entertainment and dialog going.   

So currently the PV split is lower than the strat so the vortex persists at the pole in the strat? Dont we get blocking without an SSW?

need a little more analytic/critical thinking folks -  ... seeing a lot of missed information. 

For one, the 0z and 06 z bombs are not even the same system.  Completely keyed in on different packets of atmospheric dynamics for each.  Just look at the time stamps.  The 0z, 216 hour mid level quasi-cut-off/surface bombogenesis is D9/9.5, where as the 06z is not only well after D10, it's a different deep later evolution altogether. 

If that were not enough, the Euro's version of a more moderate size/amplitude coastal is also neither of the GFS dynamics, keying in on something else altogether (very quick hitting 192 to 204 hour, single stream open wave). 

What I have seen over the last 24 hours is what Scott and I were discussing three days ago ... and still plagues.  Wave interference!  there is a lot of potential here, but there are too many objects in the atmosphere for even the mighty Euro and GFS operational models to figure out which is truth and fiction ...particularly at that time range.  Every run, new one.  There really hasn't been "system 1" then "system 2" ... you've been looking at different entities altogether - ...although there is some better continuity emerging (finally) with the 144 hour deal, granted.

That's not to say nothing will take place in the next middle to extended range; just that it will likely be something not "hone-able" until comparative shorter time leads. 

So currently the PV split is lower than the strat so the vortex persists at the pole in the strat? Dont we get blocking without an SSW?

Correct. Vortex powerful in stratosphere but there has been a split lower in the atmosphere.

And yes you can get blocking in the troposphere without a SSW. It's actually going to occur over next couple weeks.

Correct. Vortex powerful in stratosphere but there has been a split lower in the atmosphere.

And yes you can get blocking in the troposphere without a SSW. It's actually going to occur over next couple weeks.

But your point is sustained blocking right? I would think it would be easier to get a south Greenland block than an overall -ao without an SSW

WOTY-contender post right there.   :)

Line, sinker, bait, hook. It's hard to express sarcasm....Brick holds a strangle-hold on that infamous award. Damage tries with one-line zingers, but I give the Rev credit he knows and expresses a center of attention look at me overture. Passive aggressive posting is an art.  

I'm bitter and jealous that I no longer has a bias involvement.

Won't be the first time I've had a post deleted so with that said.....

NCEP is extremely slow is response.

What no obs thread for the arctic attack? Hours upon hours of <32F.

Line, sinker, bait, hook. It's hard to express sarcasm....Brick holds a strangle-hold on that infamous award. Damage tries with one-line zingers, but I give the Rev credit he knows and expresses a center of attention look at me overture. Passive aggressive posting is an art.  

I'm bitter and jealous that I no longer has a bias involvement.

Won't be the first time I've had a post deleted so with that said.....

NCEP is extremely slow is response.

What no obs thread for the arctic attack? Hours upon hours of <32F.

I think the ncep site crashed.  Per Tropical Tidbits, it looks like the GFS has the second system go wide right toward the early low.

Looks like the pattern we had in 2013-2014 suppression for the winter storms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll pretend last week never happened nor the system that's progged for Saturday.

The gfs is just where we want it at this range. And I'll save you all the trouble...

:weenie:

LOL

I had hoped I'd stay below freezing today.  Oh, well.

33.9/17

Archived