• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

Ugh - and more that I can even share on here to be honest. 

Anyway - back to January. Let's try an lock in 1/10 or so because I don't know if I can take another month of boredom.

And people in authority were giving you a hard time for giving an honest scientific argument for the storm going out to sea. It was really disgraceful.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a while we had basically 2 clusters... one OTS and one into SC/NC. Few, if any, members had the storm hitting Long Island. However when you split the difference and take the mean of those 2 clusters you get a track down in the middle.

In that case the mean is the least likely scenario.

Right, thats what I meant. A couple members skewed the mean into LI but no members actually placed it in LI.

Interesting scenario to say the least.

There is however a huge difference between a tropical center mean at day 8 and a winter MSLP mean. Clusters are the way to go but I have seen Mets here quote Euro mean centers in.winter many many times. It has use.

Well winter time synoptics tend to be better modeled in the first place. Not lead pipe locks, but better than warm season or tropical.

Your posts are just a bad as your WOTY posts.  You are constantly looking to point out anything that might be bad.  You have become Forky.  You are not really expressing real ideas half the time btw.  Your posts are even less mature actually.  You are like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, hopping from one end of the continuum to the other like a drunken rabbit alternating between ecstasy and prozac.

Wow, I think you've just about summed that up...completely!!

No I would never want to do that. He's a great contributor and I'm sure a nice guy.

So even great posters need to be brought down, he is all over the place back and forth, you would do the same to me if I was too optimistic about something.  I mean I even get it from where it doesn't need to come from.  So you tell me if he deserves it or not.

gfs_namer_090_500_vort_ht.gif

This is the 18z GFS at hour 90, see the energy near Manitoba, more so over northern Ontario, Canada province, it is more strung out over the region than solidified like the 00z NAM at hour 84 below:

nam_namer_084_500_vort_ht.gif

00z NAM at hour 84, see the energy closer to Manitoba province of Canada, this energy is more consolidated over space that leads to a better energetic burst as it reaches the East Coast of New England, if the energy digs further south, than the clipper could turn into a redeveloper that develops much closer to ACK than 300+ miles east of CHH.  We shall see, but even the EURO is more lopsided with the energy.  these runs should get better in determining how consolidated the energy can be and if the NAM is onto something or just plain bs.

The one thing that worries me is the potential for more IO forcing to return later in the month, which when you combine the general PAC Jet activity, means that the ridging in the west coast could take a beating.

Of course, that doesn't take away from the potential great pattern starting around Jan 10th, but it would put into question its duration. Just some food for thought.

I have contemplated that possibility as well, but I think if we do see a resurgence of -VP, it'll likely be fairly transient [in the upcoming 2 month period]. Interestingly enough, upon examining the IO forcing progression of a few of my top analog years, there was a propensity for enhanced IO forcing during the month of December. This generally transitioned into a more suppressive regime for Jan/Feb.

December 1965/1957:

December 1986 had fairly active IO convection as well.

15eutc7.png

VP anomalies so far this month:

16jrk49.gif

Much different regime for January 1966/1958:

2u5q0d3.png

February maintained the overall suppressive IO (as did with 1987):

5f3in9.png

2qcqmfm.png

The CFS forecasts for chi 200hpa haven't been too great so far this year, though it's possible we have a 7-10 day pulse of IO forcing. I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see a reload period. But I strongly doubt a return to the December pattern or even a pattern that favors above / much above temperatures. The current empirical wave propagation suggests a transient IO pulse the last 10 days of the month before a return to conducive forcing again.

ewp.gif

Interesting passage by Cohen:

typical during El Niño winters, the models predict a strong Jet Stream along the Southern United States.  Therefore because the northern or polar Jet Stream does not completely dominate eastern North America, temperatures remain near seasonable over southeastern Canada and the Eastern United States (Figure 6)However with both jet streams active over the United States, the storm track will likely remain active and potential phasing of the two streams may help to fuel storms crisscrossing the United States and could potentially be a snowy pattern for parts of the United States.

#stopobsessingoverindividualopruns

Interesting passage by Cohen:

typical during El Niño winters, the models predict a strong Jet Stream along the Southern United States.  Therefore because the northern or polar Jet Stream does not completely dominate eastern North America, temperatures remain near seasonable over southeastern Canada and the Eastern United States (Figure 6)However with both jet streams active over the United States, the storm track will likely remain active and potential phasing of the two streams may help to fuel storms crisscrossing the United States and could potentially be a snowy pattern for parts of the United States.

#stopobsessingoverindividualopruns

Considering the pattern flip is over 240 hours away, I'd like it if we stop discussing OP model runs at all.

Because the signal is strong for a potential storm and plus aren't we supposed to talk about storm threats any ways.  Perhaps we don't have to wait another 10 days to get snow we have disturbance in the flow on the 2/4 of January, this system is becoming more and more enhanced and perhaps amplified by the EURO and NAM, GFS yet to catch up

Archived