Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

Completely tossing it is silly.

It was useful in determining track and evolution.....anyone who has a clue did not buy its thermals.

I used the GFS, and my forecast came out fine.

GFS was too cold and too wet. There were plenty of other models that handled the features better inside 36 hrs. It had to be tossed, and I'm one of the first who come in and defend not tossing models. It was clearly the outlier and jumpy which is a big red flag. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Precisely why expecting a great snowy mid and late Jan is iffy at best

Precisely why expect,ing a great snowy mid and late Jan is iffy at best

I'm sure you'll be the first to tell us, once the possibility of this happening increases to say 10%.  Truthfully its a win win for you.  If you find the nut then you can claim to be a seer and guru.  If you don't, then you're just a happy weenie.

I'm sure you'll be the first to tell us, once the possibility of this happening increases to say 10%. Truthfully its a win win for you. If you find the nut then you can claim to be a seer and guru. If you don't, then you're just a happy weenie.

All I'm saying is there seems to be an uber amount of confidence on a great second half. That very well may happen. Hopefully it does. I just think the reasons discussed are enough to not feel overly confident

Regime change. Early December.

post-33-0-83855000-1451498694_thumb.gif

Vs now. Note how the Indian ocean is void of anomalous convection as noted in blue. Right now your "blues" are at the dateline. It's a completely different regime change. Your Kara Sea ridge is being built by a massive Icelandic low. This gets cut off and helps the AO go negative. This indeed is at least temporary, but IMHO..I am not sold on this flipping the AO for good...nor am I sold on the Pacific maintaining itself. The 50mb and 10mb looks continue a big Pacific warming, but not SSW yet. 

Are you Jewish too?

Always enjoy your posts, and your threads.  I like your writing even if I can't always understand the technical part.  It is cool when you start sniffing out possible scenarios - always big picture and with caveats, and I like that.  Do you share Scott's concerns that the PNA ridge is getting a bit muted on some runs?

Yeeeah, it's not ideal - no. 

But, the weight of the GEFs in total and the resounding signal from that, "intuitively" that probability should favor us.   It seems what is going on is that we have a lot of wave-interference (negative), with the models assessing a lot of smaller-scaled S/Ws that contend and cancel/damp each-other out (pretty much the definition of negative interference).    

What's interesting about that is that it erodes the possibility at larger scale when all these little critters are vying for proxy. The ridge in the west is riddled with holes and is struggling to find a integrity in the N-S axis (probably what Scott's noting and I've seen it all too). 

I don't think it has to last that way, as well ... we can still pop events despite that.   One thing to circle back ... if the WPO gets more involved --> AA NP that would help.  We'd really see a -EPO and pulsing +PNA help stuff holes in that and we'd get more conservation for bigger systems.  

So in all, it's uneasy a little, but there's more room for some optimism (if you want storms and cold). 

GFS was too cold and too wet. There were plenty of other models that handled the features better inside 36 hrs. It had to be tossed, and I'm one of the first who come in and defend not tossing models. It was clearly the outlier and jumpy which is a big red flag. 

Depending on one's location.  It was pretty much dead on for qpf and temp up here.

Yeeeah, it's not ideal - no. 

But, the weight of the GEFs in total and the resounding signal from that, "intuitively" that probability should favor us.   It seems what is going on is that we have a lot of wave-interference (negative), with the models assessing a lot of smaller-scaled S/Ws that contend and cancel/damp each-other out (pretty much the definition of negative interference).    

What's interesting about that is that it erodes the possibility at larger scale when all these little critters are vying for proxy. The ridge in the west is riddled with holes and is struggling to find a integrity in the N-S axis (probably what Scott's noting and I've seen it all too). 

I don't think it has to last that way, as well ... we can still pop events despite that.   One thing to circle back ... if the WPO gets more involved --> AA NP that would help.  We'd really see a -EPO and pulsing +PNA help stuff holes in that and we'd get more conservation for bigger systems.  

So in all, it's uneasy a little, but there's more room for some optimism (if you want storms and cold). 

I would agree as well. 

You guys were deep into the cold air, but from PWM-LCI and points south, it did not do well with the thermal profiles at all.

Pretty sure he said he averaged a 6.6:1 ratio, all snow, after the first 1.5" too. So the warm tongue got up there too although it was still cold enough for all snow. I haven't compared GFS forecast soundings with reality up there though.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense Tip. When you have an El Nino and a potentially active period of time there is going to be differences in the timing and amplitude of different SW energy which can effect whether a teleconnections like the PNA is a strong positive or more muted but seeing such a change in the mass state of the Teleconnections as a whole, the combination of the WPO, EPO,PNA, NAO,AO, and the MJO heading towards phases 8 and 1 which is a colder signal across the eastern US should be enough to get us interested if not downright excited given the abyss that we have been in.

Archived