joxey
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Ryan's blog yesterday.

So where do we stand going forward?

A disturbance in the force (sorry for the lame Star Wars reference) will at least temporarily shake up the pattern. See yesterday’s blog post here. I’m worried, however, any change in the pattern is temporary as the stratospheric polar vortex will remain in place and the background El Nino forcing will stay the same.

Either way at least for now the torch is gone and we have a really sweet looking pattern for snow developing around 1/10. Let’s hope we cash in before the Heat Miser comes knocking on our door.

From Ryan's blog yesterday.

So where do we stand going forward?

A disturbance in the force (sorry for the lame Star Wars reference) will at least temporarily shake up the pattern. See yesterday’s blog post here. I’m worried, however, any change in the pattern is temporary as the stratospheric polar vortex will remain in place and the background El Nino forcing will stay the same.

Either way at least for now the torch is gone and we have a really sweet looking pattern for snow developing around 1/10. Let’s hope we cash in before the Heat Miser comes knocking on our door.

Background el nino forcing remains the same??

It jumped to out near the dateline.

I happen to like el nino background for February.

Events that give C-1" are a dime dozen usually. We're just kind of obsessing over it because there's been very little so far. Usually we start almost ignore them after the 5th or 6th one every winter.

Wouldn't surprise me if we got a coating or some form of measurable from that disturbance. Could be aided by inverted trough or just almost windexy type deal though I haven't looked closely yet to see if we actually have windex parameters in place. Usually I like to see the sfc winds more southerly for LL moisture advection but we can worry about that stuff a lot closer in if models are still spitting out some QPF.

Will it? I don't see anything that shows the PV getting disrupted in the stratosphere... Sure we get a nice AO flip I'm worried it's temporary.

Let's enjoy it though.

Everyone dry humped Cohen for the Kara Sea ridge. That goes bye-bye next week and was the reason why the AO goes negative. It goes near neutral at end of EPS.

I'm also confused by "before the heat Miser comes knocking on our door." Sounds like that's a torch may be coming back but most are saying if the pattern doesn't sustain itself, it may relax but nothing way AN.

I doubt we are anywhere near as warm but I could see an above normal pattern redeveloping. The Nino/-PNA/anti blocking combo is brutal for us.

I thought Nino climo loved Feb and we are following the Nino climo pretty well if you ignore the extremes in departures with a warm Dec, less warm Jan, which leads to an even colder Feb.

If we lose ridging in NW Canada and a raging +NAO, it's curtains in a good A good Feb. just one of several possibilities right now. That's all it is. No one can be confident on anything this winter

I doubt we are anywhere near as warm but I could see an above normal pattern redeveloping. The Nino/-PNA/anti blocking combo is brutal for us.

Oxymoron.

I'll take my chances with a -PNA not remaining prevalent throughout one of the strongest el nino seasons on record.

This was the first pulse of energy, and we no where near finished.

I understand Scott hates Cohen, but try to remain objective.

Everyone dry humped Cohen for the Kara Sea ridge. That goes bye-bye next week and was the reason why the AO goes negative. It goes near neutral at end of EPS.

It's not only the Kara Sea ridge, IMO. There's also significant perturbing of the stratospheric vortex / warmth on the Pacific side that will aid in pumping heights poleward, which allows the kara heights to bridge. Without the wave driving from the Pacific side, I doubt the AO would be progged at such a negative magnitude. Ozone is significantly increased on the Pacific side right now, which is suggestive of those changes.

It's not only the Kara Sea ridge, IMO. There's also significant perturbing of the stratospheric vortex / warmth on the Pacific side that will aid in pumping heights poleward, which allows the kara heights to bridge. Without the wave driving from the Pacific side, I doubt the AO would be progged at such a negative magnitude. Ozone is significantly increased on the Pacific side right now, which is suggestive of those changes.

This is what I just tried to say, but you have a clue RE the stratosphere.

This is only the beginning of the assault on the vortex.

I love how the same people who knew December would blow because of el nino, think that Feb will blow because of el nino.

Sorry, not how it works.

If you would like to abide by the el nino seasonal framework, then a favorable month of February is the base state.

Period.

The vortex grows ever more prone to disruption climatologically speaking as we progress nearer to February.

I love how the same people who knew December would blow because of el nino, think that Feb will blow because of el nino.

Sorry, not how it works.

If you would like to abide by the el nino seasonal framework, then a favorable month of February is the base state.

Period.

How many Super Nino February's are there to compare to come up with a base state? Feb 1998 and Feb 1983?

Archived