Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015-16 Winter Pattern Discussion

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the models flipping around some especially in the 10-15 day range is a good sign and usually points to a pattern change, or at least that's the way it has been in the past....I still think by Jan 1 we are more in a "normal" winter pattern and that in of itself means chances for snow etc go up....if we can actually get some periods of blockiness then mid Jan into Feb could be good for us.

Some -20's in the Dakotas by the end of the latest GFS run.....

12z Euro clown map had a dusting in WNC around the 29th but it is the clown map.  That really isn't what grabbed my attention though.  In comparison with the 0z Euro, this run was much less certain with an Ohio Valley tracking LP.  The 12z run splits the Apps and give WNC a good NWFS.  Statistically speaking, the Ohio Valley track is most probable and is the default track unless something can push it south.  Looks like the 12z Euro phases the energy later and therefore the storm blows up over Tennessee instead of TX/OK.  Still a long way to go with this one, but I would say it is something to watch over the next few model runs, especially in WNC.

Even if it,s not cold enough during the storm, it looks like it has the potential to pull down a good amount of cold air for NWFS. Maybe there's a chance this far out? Who knows , but nice to see potential.Granted even if it's not cold enough, could be a LOT of rain. Now I'm just waiting for one of those outlier runs where it pushes the low into georgia instead of the ohio valley and watch everyone lose it lol. 

FWIW snowfall based on ENSO state for RDU....via @webberweather on Twitter.

XNIrtve.png

The one on the left is strong La Niña? The sample size is too small to draw too many conclusions, but that's still surprising.

There also could be a huge year in a strong La Niña which is skewing the mean higher (as in a right-skewed distribution). It would be interesting to see median snowfall for each ENSO state.

Of course, in the SE our snowfall distributions are almost always right-skewed with the mean in some cases significantly higher than the median.

Here's to a strong Nina next winter...

The one on the left is strong La Niña? The sample size is too small to draw too many conclusions, but that's still surprising.

Maybe not you but I'm having crazy dejavu I think I talked about this with someone last year...La Ninas aren't *usually* good for snow. 99-00 we had 25"ish from the carolina crusher and 1892-93 we had 32", skews the data. 

Maybe not you but I'm having crazy dejavu I think I talked about this with someone last year...La Ninas aren't *usually* good for snow. 99-00 we had 25"ish from the carolina crusher and 1892-93 we had 32", skews the data.

Yeah, that'll do it, then. That's always my issue with analogs. The sample sizes are so tiny that it really hampers their predictive value, IMO (not that analogs aren't useful because I believe they are).

Right-skewness is almost always an issue for us. A "typical" winter for us has below average snowfall because our median snowfall is lower than our mean snowfall.

Yeah, that'll do it, then. That's always my issue with analogs. The sample sizes are so tiny that it really hampers their predictive value, IMO (not that analogs aren't useful because I believe they are).

Right-skewness is almost always an issue for us. A "typical" winter for us has below average snowfall because our median snowfall is lower than our mean snowfall.

I hated statistics in undergrad and in grad school (bio statistics and drug literature) you're bringing back nightmares. But I agree. 

Via @webberweather on twitter: 1886-2015 median=5.9", standard seviation=6.84", avg=7.5" 

That SD, though.

I hated statistics in undergrad and in grad school (bio statistics and drug literature) you're bringing back nightmares. But I agree. 

Via @webberweather on twitter: 1886-2015 median=5.9", standard seviation=6.84", avg=7.5" 

That SD, though.

Heh, the standard deviation is off the charts.  No wonder predicting seasonal snowfall in our areas is a crapshoot!

Wonder if the warm gulf/east-Atlantic will be taken advantage of Jan-March.29c6da290911300d36acb75711e5eded.jpg

It's really hard to see our way out of this and into a good winter pattern. I just don't see how it can be done without -NAO even with an improved PAC...we shall see...if by XMas there is no improvement in the long range we are going to be in trouble

It's really hard to see our way out of this and into a good winter pattern. I just don't see how it can be done without -NAO even with an improved PAC...we shall see...if by XMas there is no improvement in the long range we are going to be in trouble

Warm waters off the NC coast can often favor baroclinic forcing which in turn can help form strong coastal storms off our coast. The negative is it also can allow those strong storms to drag warmer air further inland as well. I think that was what NCrain was alluding to.

Also, long range modeling is certainly making small improvements. CFS beginning January 3-8th is cooler, EPS finally shows weak PNA ridging and a weak trough over the central US. These are good trends in the right direction, I like what I see for the early January pattern change.

Archived