Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015-16 Winter Pattern Discussion

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! Considering how warm we're gonna be for December, January and February must be cold. That'd be awesome if it verifies, especially if we get an active STJ. How well has the JAMSTEC verified in the past?

Good question - the answer is above my pay grade. I just had that in my bag and when I saw a related post, threw it out there FWIW.

I'll bet if we can wake him, Jon might know the relative verification rate.

Nice! Considering how warm we're gonna be for December, January and February must be cold. That'd be awesome if it verifies, especially if we get an active STJ. How well has the JAMSTEC verified in the past?

In my opinion, it's the one seasonal model I never fail to check; however, I can't buy this update. Too cold! Jan/Feb would have to be epic to verify & while they may be cooler than normal no way that much...or at least I don't think.

Good question - the answer is above my pay grade. I just had that in my bag and when I saw a related post, threw it out there FWIW.

I'll bet if we can wake him, Jon might know the relative verification rate.

Not sure about the particular verification score...but here's the eye-ball test. It checks out pretty well, I'd say. I have heard people complain about the JAMSTEC more recently getting November wrong I believe... It may be good this year however since it's an pacific and other(s) ocean circulation model or something of that sort (that's the best I got)...the model itself is called SINTEX-F1 if anyone wants to hunt down some scores.

Temps vs Actual

0U7Nvnz.gif

yntzZXc.png

Precip vs Actual

HhbZkMy.gif

vLmvPMA.png

It is time for your daily Euro teleconnections. AO is moving down, but still a + 2 on December 29. The NAO move to Neutral on the 29th. PNA starts moving up, but still -2, EPO crashes negative on Christmas day and hangs around -1. That is an impressive drop on the EPO. 

The GFS has the PNA moving to Neutral on the 27th, so let's go with that model. 

It is time for your daily Euro teleconnections. AO is moving down, but still a + 2 on December 29. The NAO move to Neutral on the 29th. PNA starts moving up, but still -2, EPO crashes negative on Christmas day and hangs around -1. That is an impressive drop on the EPO. 

The GFS has the PNA moving to Neutral on the 27th, so let's go with that model. 

I think we might be seeing some good hints in the LR in regards to teleconnections.   

Nice stable 3 wave pattern there, Pack. All of the + height anoms are in the wrong places.

Pretty soon the day 15 on the GFS will be mid March, and we will still be looking for cold and snow, but then we can atleast admit defeat and say " thanks" to the anal logs! :(

Well the good news is....hmmmm....there really isn't any good news unless you like warmth/rain for the next several weeks. Maybe one good thing is, well I can't think of anything positive to say. The JAMSTEC is just sad...is that uplifting. #superninowarmth

Archived