• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015-16 Winter Pattern Discussion

It's really hard to see our way out of this and into a good winter pattern. I just don't see how it can be done without -NAO even with an improved PAC...we shall see...if by XMas there is no improvement in the long range we are going to be in trouble

Looks daunting that's for sure but there isn't a lot of nino's that warm from Nov-March. Many variables pointing towards blocking late Jan through Feb. If models look like crap on Jan 15th then it might be panic time.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warm waters off the NC coast can often favor baroclinic forcing which in turn can help form strong coastal storms off our coast. The negative is it also can allow those strong storms to drag warmer air further inland as well. I think that was what NCrain was alluding to.

Also, long range modeling is certainly making small improvements. CFS beginning January 3-8th is cooler, EPS finally shows weak PNA ridging and a weak trough over the central US. These are good trends in the right direction, I like what I see for the early January pattern change.

Agreed, like watching a turtle run though....

You really don't need negative nao or ao to get winter storms in the se. It's over hyped in a sense. Sure I'd love to see them both lock in neg, but weve scored just as many times without them as we have with them both negative.

Timing is the key. You can have a cold pattern with favorable indices but no moisture to work with, we've seen that many times. Then you can have a pattern like now with plenty of moisture but no cold to be found. Getting the timing of a disturbance moving in with favorable HP or cold air in place along with the right track are the biggest factors. We definitely need to be in at least an average pattern though because the blowtorch pattern like now keeps the cold way up in Canada. Good snowpack to our north helps significant as well. Here in the south we just need so many things to come together to get a good snow. Hopefully this January-February lines up just right!

Btw the changes in the GFS from 18z to 00z are almost laughable. The 18z had the 500mb low in the Great Lakes and the 00z for the same time has it in southern Texas/Mexico. Euro has been consistently showing the southern Texas path and the GFS was stubbornly taking it up through the Midwest. Now it's shifted towards the Euro solution. I've been watching the Euro vs GFS closely for the past several weeks for when we get a real winter storm to track. The Euro has consistently been the leader with the GFS giving in to it as the event gets closer. The high res Euro has done decent with precip so far.

Btw the changes in the GFS from 18z to 00z are almost laughable. The 18z had the 500mb low in the Great Lakes and the 00z for the same time has it in southern Texas/Mexico. Euro has been consistently showing the southern Texas path and the GFS was stubbornly taking it up through the Midwest. Now it's shifted towards the Euro solution. I've been watching the Euro vs GFS closely for the past several weeks for when we get a real winter storm to track. The Euro has consistently been the leader with the GFS giving in to it as the event gets closer. The high res Euro has done decent with precip so far.

In what timeframe are you referring to?

that looks like a classic El Nino pattern across the southern portion of the state's.

It's curious that so many nino's start showing what we consider canonical Nino look starting mid-Jan (aletuian low, southern trough). Well let's hope that what develops, looks like what ensembles are moving towards.

indices look better today for the LR:

PNA - Most members going positive

NAO - Widespread of member solutions, but it would average near neutral

AO - Widespread of member solutions; which would still average slightly positive, but would have many members negative

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

Not a bad look, Pack! We need that low to move out of the EPO region and the Aleutian low to retrograde slightly, but that's still a far better map than we've seen in a good while.

GFS throwing out some fantasy garbage too...09 part deux.  This should really go in the banter thread  :bag:

GFS starting to poke at it a little more, think this would get better as we approach new years...wonder if we get a little something first week of Jan and something bigger/better end of Jan, total wag though. And by something I mean SSWE, not snow.

Edit: Still PV right over the pole throughout run.

Fishel with an interesting tweet....go big or go home for Xmas Eve.

Since 1887 in the Raleigh area, we have never experienced 80 degree warmth after December 10. We have a shot on Christmas Eve day.

Brad p. mentioned this morning that a hybrid wedge of sorts could keep temps cooler (60's) in Charlotte. but if the possible hybrid wedge doesn't form, upper 70's are a decent probability. So sad to hear honestly lol. In other news, the past 2 runs of the GFS dropped some snow in northern NC (It's the GFS of course). But the fact that The GFS and Euro are showing signs of life might mean we have something coming that's worth watching for in the not too distant future. 

I've seen that! It's a Christmas miracle!

Good posts! Models finally kind of , sort of , agreeing on a pattern change!?

Pattern will change, I am thinking this is a head fake though...first week of Jan we get a glimpse and then we revert to some crap pattern until atleast the 20th and then we see some changes into Feb.  Going to be a long 4 weeks.  Think someone in the east sees something first week of Jan, probably mtns up through MA to NE.

Archived