joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Obs.

mackerel_sky

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I got 2.35, and last week 2.6, so I'm a little behind you, but not so much.  I'd say your rain hole has moved on for sure, and mine too.  I have to think this bodes well for later, if this rain wealth keeps accumulating.  I can see a super later Jan and Feb, as long as the faucet stays open.  2 or 3 inch gulf lows coupled with some well placed highs....sure fire 32.4 heavy rains, lol.  So much a part of a proper winter in Ga...like in my youth :)  With a chance to fit in a heavy sleet with 29.6!  Tony

I think that's a fair statement...for now at least lol. I'm sure the screwzone monster will come back to haunt me soon enough though.

For now it's certainly in hiding.

I hope we can manage to scrape something together once or twice this year but it's hard to be optimistic with so much warmth everywhere you look

Another .30" in 45 minutes. The yard is a swamp.

Same here. Even the Lakes are over flowing..and that takes a hell of a lot of rain.  Have picked up around 1.5 inches so far with this second round and expect to pick up at least that much more this afternoon as the majority of the rain is still west of here. The 1.3 inches makes for a 4.3 inch 2 day total and 7.3 inches  since thursday. Very well could manage another 2.5 inches by tomorrow if any convective elements/storms can take shape and make it an even 10 inches in a week. Regardless, pretty incredible.

Incoming ---- didn't want to clutter the severe thread..

447 PM EST WED DEC 23 2015 ...A LINE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WILL AFFECT PORTIONS OFEASTERN GUILFORD... EASTERN RANDOLPH... PERSON... DURHAM...ORANGE... LEE... HOKE... ALAMANCE... CHATHAM... MOORE... AND PERSONCOUNTIES UNTIL 545 PM EST...AT 443 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED ALINE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WITH VERY HEAVY RAIN EXTENDINGFROM NEAR BURLINGTON TO ROCKINGHAM... MOVING NORTHEAST AT 55 MPH.THE LINE WILL PRODUCE VERY HEAVY RAIN FOR 30 MINUTES... WIND GUSTSUP TO 40 MPH... AND OCCASIONAL LIGHTNING. LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...DURHAM...CHAPEL HILL...BURLINGTON...SANFORD...GRAHAM...SOUTHERNPINES...HILLSBOROUGH...PITTSBORO...CARTHAGE AND SILER CITY.

These showers passing through right now are strange.... like we're on a tropical island or something. They're dumping a ton of rain, then it fades, the cloud reloads and dumps again. This is like 6 times in the last 15 minutes... now it's dead calm. This is out ahead of the main broken band of showers/storms.

Did that die from the pine beetle?

Haven't looked it over closely yet ... This area used to be a tree farm before it was developed. Sometime back in the 70's or 80's, I think, a blight came through and all the pines developed some sort of 'gout' type growth about 8' off the ground, making the timber unusable to harvest. Many of the trees developed a dual or triple main trunk.

We have lost a couple over the years to the beetle borers, but not sure with this tree. They die, remain standing until they get waterlogged, or a good gust blows. Fortunately, all the ones close to the house appear healthy.  We had a dozen or so weak or damaged ones taken out several years ago. When We got married in 2005, they were all about 45'-50'. Now the big ones are over 90'.

Archived