joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Obs.

mackerel_sky

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100" already this season in Jackson Hole WY. Very harsh winter for the 4 legged critters out there this year.

Back here in the southern comfort zone, 28 degrees and the lowest temp we may see for the rest of the month. Back up to the 70's we go! Ugh.

Crazy. I do think this is mother nature balancing things out. The last couple of years the ski season has not been that go is and we all know about California. I am glad that they are seeing so much snowfall and rain out there.

Flood Advisory issued.

UNTIL 1015 AM EST* AT 718 AM EST...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED HEAVY RAIN THAT WILL CAUSE  URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOODING IN THE ADVISORY AREA. UP TO TWO  INCHES OF RAIN HAVE ALREADY FALLEN OVER THE SOUTHERN AND WESTERN  PIEDMONT...AND THIS RAIN WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE NORTHEAST AND  AFFECT THE TRIANGLE THROUGH 8 AM. AREAS TO THE WEST...WHERE THE  HEAVIEST RAIN HAS ALREADY FALLEN...MAY RECEIVE ANOTHER QUARTER TO  HALF INCH OF RAIN. A FLASH FLOOD WARNING MAY BE REQUIRED FOR  PORTIONS OF THE TRIANGLE LATER THIS MORNING...PROVIDED SIMILAR  RAINFALL RATES AND AMOUNTS AS UPSTREAM INDEED MATERIALIZE OVER  URBAN AREAS.* SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...  RALEIGH...DURHAM...FAYETTEVILLE...CARY...HIGH POINT...CHAPEL  HILL...BURLINGTON...SANFORD...ASHEBORO AND LAURINBURG.

absolutely poured last night...picked up right at 3 inches. I wasn't here last thursday but picked up 3.05 inches then so more than 6 inches in about 5 days...with of course quite a bit more to come this week. This year truly has been astonishing in the rain department. There is a weather station that's been operating since 1952 south of here that very well could set an all time record yearly rainfall amount. Old record was 66.43 inches set back in 1964. After picking up nearly another 2.5 last night  they are up 62.03 inches. Not sure what my yearly total is since i don't normally keep up with it but i am fairly confident i've picked up more since i know i picked up quite a lot more in storms during the summer months. Regardless,  i can honestly say i don't think i've ever seen so many multi inch rain events. Picking up 3 inches of rain used to be quite an accomplishment, this year it seems almost routine.

absolutely poured last night...picked up right at 3 inches. I wasn't here last thursday but picked up 3.05 inches then so more than 6 inches in about 5 days...with of course quite a bit more to come this week. This year truly has been astonishing in the rain department. There is a weather station that's been operating since 1952 south of here that very well could set an all time record yearly rainfall amount. Old record was 66.43 inches set back in 1964. After picking up nearly another 2.5 last night  they are up 62.03 inches. Not sure what my yearly total is since i don't normally keep up with it but i am fairly confident i've picked up more since i know i picked up quite a lot more in storms during the summer months. Regardless,  i can honestly say i don't think i've ever seen so many multi inch rain events. Picking up 3 inches of rain used to be quite an accomplishment, this year it seems almost routine.

Last night I got 2.35, and last week 2.6, so I'm a little behind you, but not so much.  I'd say your rain hole has moved on for sure, and mine too.  I have to think this bodes well for later, if this rain wealth keeps accumulating.  I can see a super later Jan and Feb, as long as the faucet stays open.  2 or 3 inch gulf lows coupled with some well placed highs....sure fire 32.4 heavy rains, lol.  So much a part of a proper winter in Ga...like in my youth :)  With a chance to fit in a heavy sleet with 29.6!  Tony

Simply an amazing pattern right now. The West is getting pounded over and over with snow with heavy amounts forecast all the way down to Roswell NM and some snow all the way to El Paso and Northern Mexico. Meanwhile, the mid-West has tornado watches and parts of the East are preparing for flooding and the warmest Christmas week in memory. Per NOAA, GSP not forecast to get below 60 at anytime from tomorrow till sometime on Monday morning, and not below 50 for several more days. Average Christmas day high- 52. Even Boone is not forecast to get below 50 again until sometime Monday night/Tuesday morning. GSP will not reach freezing again this year, meaning the airport will have reached 32 or below a grand total of days this October - December! Unbelievable! 

If a tree falls in the woods... and you're there to hear it...

It goes SNAP, CRACKLE (as the branches break off against the other trees on the way down), and a RESOUNDING THUD!!!

Heard that last night while I was out unplugging the Christmas lights.  

Need the rain to let up so I can get back there and see if it took out any of the understory Dogwoods or anything else.

Archived