• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Obs.

mackerel_sky

Sitting at 1.75" for today, plus 6.25" prior, so we're exactly 8.00" right now for the month, with a lot more down around Charlotte to Columbia headed this way.

Not too shabby!  A lot of us are making like bandits with this newly energized gulf!   I get a kick looking at Goofy and the Canadian at all the rain running under Albany, or Valdosta,  in the next week or so, like none of that  is going to come up.  Yeah, sure :)  I think a lot more rain is on tap for the deep south.  It won't stay that suppressed, unless some true cold starts to make it in, and even then....I doubt it stays down there...too much energy running in the gulf, and it will want to spread out.

I'm in another heavy band now, and radar says it has some staying power, so maybe I can eke out another inch or so, as it's coming down pretty good.  Tony

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess FFC listened to you :)  I was out earlier and it was like the hydroplaning olympics. The side of the roads are so underwater, it makes stalling out very likely for the uninitiated.  I agree some warming about road conditions at the very least.  I'm pretty sure I could have done some body surfing down some of the steeper hills :)

You are still ahead.  I picked up an additional .6 this afternoon...2.9 since midnight... thru 6pm which brings me up to 17 total since the .1 on the 11th.  There looks to be another batch coming, but I'm not so sure I'll make 18 for the month now.  Though the northern fork of the snake tongue on radar looks to be staying solid, and north enough to go thru here.  We'll see.  Might have another half inch in it.

I would worry about private dams now.  This is a lot of rain real quick for old dams to hold off.  Might get hairy of the next few days, and weeks.   I know a lot of spillways are probably throwing rooster tails.

I love good sleet predictions.  Hope I get that here :)  Stay safe Chris!  Looks like you'll make 18 inches for sure, and maybe more.  Tony

I'm still miffed about them being so slow to issue a warning.  There are numerous roads across the area that are under water, some are washed out (including a couple of  state highways too..not just minor local roads, there are several earth damns that have been breached,  quite a few people i know are even stranded because the water is blocking their driveway or road..and hell the  local mailman barely escaped with his life after he got washed off the road trying to make his deliveries...and yet most of this was going on well before they finally issued a warning. i

I've heard them give the excuse before that one of the reasons it takes longer is less population and thus less ground reports..and to that i say Bullsh*t. You didn't need that at all when radar had indicated 4 to 6 inches of rain had already fallen with more on the way. Common damn sense says it's flooding with that much rain in just 2 or 3 hours time. Not to mention that south and east of athens has had some of the highest totals since the 16th. 

FFC is better than they used to be but The continued  lack of  attention during critical situations/severe weather out this way by FFC is simply inexcusable and has been a problem as long as i've been alive. And i'm not just the only one who notices, even your average run of the mill non weather freaks have known it for a long time. Hell I had 3 people today ask me about it...two wondered why they hadn't issued a warning at all before they had issued one and everything was under water and a third asked why it took so long. To quote him, "if you are going to wait until every road is under water, dams bursting, and people getting stranded..what's the point?"  My honest answer? Because they frankly don't seem to give a damn about areas outside of the local metro. In the day and age of the internet, phones, all these surface reports, and technology..it's insane that it's still a problem.

And the biggest damnation to me is the fact that GSP has never, that i can recall, fallen asleep at the wheel for their extreme western/southern counties who are also mostly rural. If they have, it must be rare since i can't remember any. Hell I've lost count on how many times i've watched GSP issue warnings for severe thunderstorms as they moved into their cwa from here..where there was no warnings at all. They have always been on top of things.

But if they can be on top of it there is no excuse for FFC. Their mission is to help protect life and property in their entire cwa...not just around freaking atlanta.

I'm still miffed about them being so slow to issue a warning.  There are numerous roads across the area that are under water, some are washed out (including a couple of  state highways too..not just minor local roads, there are several earth damns that have been breached,  quite a few people i know are even stranded because the water is blocking their driveway or road..and hell the  local mailman barely escaped with his life after he got washed off the road trying to make his deliveries...and yet most of this was going on well before they finally issued a warning. i

I've heard them give the excuse before that one of the reasons it takes longer is less population and thus less ground reports..and to that i say Bullsh*t. You didn't need that at all when radar had indicated 4 to 6 inches of rain had already fallen with more on the way. Common damn sense says it's flooding with that much rain in just 2 or 3 hours time. Not to mention that south and east of athens has had some of the highest totals since the 16th. 

FFC is better than they used to be but The continued  lack of  attention during critical situations/severe weather out this way by FFC is simply inexcusable and has been a problem as long as i've been alive. And i'm not just the only one who notices, even your average run of the mill non weather freaks have known it for a long time. Hell I had 3 people today ask me about it...two wondered why they hadn't issued a warning at all before they had issued one and everything was under water and a third asked why it took so long. To quote him, "if you are going to wait until every road is under water, dams bursting, and people getting stranded..what's the point?"  My honest answer? Because they frankly don't seem to give a damn about areas outside of the local metro. In the day and age of the internet, phones, all these surface reports, and technology..it's insane that it's still a problem.

And the biggest damnation to me is the fact that GSP has never, that i can recall, fallen asleep at the wheel for their extreme western/southern counties who are also mostly rural. If they have, it must be rare since i can't remember any. Hell I've lost count on how many times i've watched GSP issue warnings for severe thunderstorms as they moved into their cwa from here..where there was no warnings at all. They have always been on top of things.

But if they can be on top of it there is no excuse for FFC. Their mission is to help protect life and property in their entire cwa...not just around freaking atlanta.

Well, I figure there is more of this coming.  Have a constant stream of impulses moving under us in the stream and some of it will come north and maybe with only a few days, or even hours, notice.  All the water isn't going anywhere  else very soon, and if you keep piling on inch after inch things come apart in a hurry.  Time to be proactive for the next round.  Hope they read your thoughts :) T

Edit:  I only picked up another .1 probably with the last line, won't know 'til morning.  It was coming apart as it got closer.  Probably end with a tenth or two over 17 for Dec.  The last time I saw this much rain, this fast, was TD Alberto in the early 70's and it did about that in 3 days, lol.  So this seems like a day at the water park in comparison.  But it takes a real freak of nature to top this :)

Well, I figure there is more of this coming.  Have a constant stream of impulses moving under us in the stream and some of it will come north and maybe with only a few days, or even hours, notice.  All the water isn't going anywhere  else very soon, and if you keep piling on inch after inch things come apart in a hurry.  Time to be proactive for the next round.  Hope they read your thoughts :) T

Edit:  I only picked up another .1 probably with the last line, won't know 'til morning.  It was coming apart as it got closer.  Probably end with a tenth or two over 17 for Dec.  The last time I saw this much rain, this fast, was TD Alberto in the early 70's and it did about that in 3 days, lol.  So this seems like a day at the water park in comparison.  But it takes a real freak of nature to top this :)

First pic is water going over the top of the dam on lake and one on the creek before they ever issued a warning. This is as high as I've ever seen it. The banks are 7 to 8 feet tall so it takes monster rain indeed for this to happen

post-12-0-88829600-1451540253_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-49221600-1451540506_thumb.jpg

First pic is water going over the top of the dam on lake and one on the creek before they ever issued a warning. This is as high as I've ever seen it. The banks are 7 to 8 feet tall so it takes monster rain indeed for this to happen

Would you mind posting them to my FB page so I can share them, if you want....  

Another round of moderate to heavy rain passing through.

We were 1.4 " from our all time wettest year here as of midnight last night, and the hourly obs shows we had .50" between 12-6am and its raining good again, its gonna be real close.....be crazy if this year ends up wettest of all time for Greenville.

Looks like I'll have to calibrate the rain collector on the new weather station. Both yesterday during the heavy rain event, and during this morning's additional rain, it registered about 16% more than what the CoCoRaHS gauge collected. 2.00" vs 1.68" and .27" vs .23".

Wow, Chris, that looks so much like what Alberto did around here.  Hard to believe amounts of rain.  Speaking of which, those last trains last night did more than I thought and I got an addition al 1.3.  Gives me 4.2 for the storm, and 18.3 for the last 2/3's of Dec.  Scary amounts of rain around here.  Tony

After a 364 day long deficit,I am finally on the + side but only by .02

45.16'' for the year,barely made it.

Wow big difference between there and here, we are now less than .50" from setting the record for all time wettest year here which is 70.25".....currently sitting at 69.84" so need .41" by midnight to set the new record...

Archived