• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Obs.

mackerel_sky

Chris, beyond the copious rain amounts, I've been amazed at the thunder and lightening for this time of year. I'm getting huge strikes close by...spring time strikes...that knock out power, and rattle the windows, making it hard to sleep, and scaring the ship out of the pup :) And the thunder rolls...not just a clap and done...it rumbles on for a good while.

I can't remember a pattern change like this one. To go for so long with less rain than everyone else to being king of the hill. I sure hope this bleeds over into a middle Ga smasher once the cold comes in :) I might get me sleet in feet, lol. You and I have suffered for years, so we deserve this...and sure the ground is so wet now I sink in when I cross what used to be the hard pack, and my croquet court is now a lake, but I'm on high ground so let it come. I'll take all I can get, and then some :) I'm begining to think 18 to 20 inches for the month is doable, lol. Tony

lol you and your sleet. I saw recently where maine was forecasted to get 3 to 5 inches of sleet with temps in the low to mid 20s and i instantly thought of you :lol:

I'm starting to think 18 to 20 inches is doable too at this point. I've picked up close to 4 inches already today....which brings the total up to 16 inches since the 16/17th..and it sure isn't close to being over...after a brief break it's now raining as hard as it has all morning. Absolutely coming down in buckets...with radar indicating more training and heavy cells moving in this direction. Just a conservative estimate, if these cells keep lining up this way another 2 or 3 inches is possible. It goes without saying, All the lakes and creeks here are flooding and out of their banks.

I have to mention again that FFC has YET to issue a flash flood warning. I just don't get it. They will issue one at the drop of a hat for the atlanta area but i guess it will take a noah's type flood here to get their attention. The funny thing is we are damn near there lol. Some of the heaviest totals all day have been just east of athens, where if going by how much the radar is under estimating totals here, it's probably rained about 5 to 6 inches from just south of athens to eastern oglethorpe county to the east of athens. Most of that falling in just a couple of hours. Lexington sits right on the edge of the heavier totals and they have picked up over 4 inches. (also they are up to 70 plus inches for the year...they have obliterated their old record) Just boggles the mind that Despite the incredibly saturated conditions, a half a foot of rain is still not enough for them to act when earlier it rained an inch north of atlanta to gainesville and they issued one. That is absolutely absurd and they are possibly putting lives at risk. And the storms are lined up to train over that same area too for the next few hours.

Once again though, I have to praise GSP. GSP, as they usually always are, have been right on top of things in issuing one for elbert county (right next door)hours ago..as well as counties in south carolina that have not even gotten as much as we have nor have they gotten as much over the last 10 days. FFC has gotten better than years past but days like today show they still have their major faults while GSP continues to be the gold standard around these parts.

edit..they just now got around to issuing a warning..finally.. I guess someone finally woke up from their nap or remembered their cwa extends beyond just atlanta and surrounding areas.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now it's just getting ridiculous....up  to 5.40 just this morning..One week total, 14.65...and now 17.65 since the 17th. .and it's still raining like cats and dogs. edit..band has weakened a bit since originally posting this but over 6 inches still seems likely.   Areas south/southeast of here already have gotten that much and more and could  end up with around 10 inches..if they have not already.

Roads are a mess.  In fact, it's flooded in places i've never really seen flood before that i can recall. Got word from someone that a couple of roads are actually impassible, at least right now.

As other GA posters have opined. Flooding continues here in Douglas/Cobb county. It has been an epic couple of weeks. Ungodly amounts of rain.

This El Niño is behaving like an El Niño here in GA.

I'm sorry but a foot + of rain in Dec is not how an El Nino typically behaves in GA. Oh and temps 12+ above normal for the month is not typical of El Nino either.

335 PM EST Wed Dec 30 2015

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
Johnston County in central North Carolina...
Wake County in central North Carolina...

* until 630 PM EST

* at 334 PM EST...Doppler radar indicated heavy rain across the
warned area. Up to two inches of rain have already fallen. Flash
flooding is expected especially in urban areas. 

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Raleigh...Cary...Smithfield...Wake Forest...Garner...
Fuquay-Varina...Clayton...Zebulon...Benson and rdu international.

Well that sure filled in and escalated quickly. We're now overperforming rather than collecting hundredths.... sitting at 1.42" now, with a lot more downstream. Even got the token lightning and thunder. Yard's a swamp again.

Yeah same here, heavy rain started up here in the last hr downstream looks like it might last a while.....

Now it's just getting ridiculous....up  to 5.40 just this morning..One week total, 14.65...and now 17.65 since the 17th. .and it's still raining like cats and dogs. edit..band has weakened a bit since originally posting this but over 6 inches still seems likely.   Areas south/southeast of here already have gotten that much and more and could  end up with around 10 inches..if they have not already.

Roads are a mess.  In fact, it's flooded in places i've never really seen flood before that i can recall. Got word from someone that a couple of roads are actually impassible, at least right now.

I guess FFC listened to you :)  I was out earlier and it was like the hydroplaning olympics. The side of the roads are so underwater, it makes stalling out very likely for the uninitiated.  I agree some warming about road conditions at the very least.  I'm pretty sure I could have done some body surfing down some of the steeper hills :) 

You are still ahead.  I picked up an additional .6 this afternoon...2.9 since midnight... thru 6pm which brings me up to 17 total since the .1 on the 11th.  There looks to be another batch coming, but I'm not so sure I'll make 18 for the month now.  Though the northern fork of the snake tongue on radar looks to be staying solid, and north enough to go thru here.  We'll see.  Might have another half inch in it.

I would worry about private dams now.  This is a lot of rain real quick for old dams to hold off.  Might get hairy of the next few days, and weeks.   I know a lot of spillways are probably throwing rooster tails.

I love good sleet predictions.  Hope I get that here :)  Stay safe Chris!  Looks like you'll make 18 inches for sure, and maybe more.  Tony

Well that sure filled in and escalated quickly. We're now overperforming rather than collecting hundredths.... sitting at 1.42" now, with a lot more downstream. Even got the token lightning and thunder. Yard's a swamp again.

Solak, What is your total so far for the month?  I know we are getting the bulk of it down here, but you seem to be raking it in too!  T

Solak, What is your total so far for the month?  I know we are getting the bulk of it down here, but you seem to be raking it in too!  T

Sitting at 1.75" for today, plus 6.25" prior, so we're exactly 8.00" right now for the month, with a lot more down around Charlotte to Columbia headed this way.

Archived