joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Obs.

mackerel_sky

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've warmed from 54 last night to 70 this morning.

Yes :o   I am still so surprised to have experienced this and the overall past few weeks (and months to some extent), the differences from familiar dynamics are subtle yet at times very startling in showing the variability in atmospheric processes.

What would a 3d or tiered weather map possibly including upper layers of the atmosphere look like these days?

Frontal passage seems for now, for the past few months along the southeast coast, to occur separately from moisture and low pressure passage. 

It makes sense as the lows seem to form from atmospheric tidal forces from the previously formed lows to their east; in essence, they appear to me as an amateur to be forming more frequently than would cause them to align directly to temperature gradients and traditional frontal passage.  We will get strong lows with squall lines that look like ones that would come with cold air directly behind them, that, as we are seeing right now, absolutely do not. 

The idea is discussed every so often (true fropa/ true frontal passage) but rather infrequently for a weather phenomenon. 

"True fropa" via google (9 results)

"True frontal passage" via google (8 results)

Another 1.8 yesterday which puts me a tenth below 14 inches for the last half of Dec. with more on tap tonight thru the end of the year.  Whatever little micro adjustments that were made to put me in the rain zone, instead of the less rain zone I've been in for 15 years are much appreciated.  T

lol..i had to read this twice with your name to believe it :lol: Looks like you are getting hammered again this morning. One has to be concerned for flooding, especially the western half per radar this morning with yet more training and localized heavy amounts.

Picked up 1.45 with that last event here..which brings my total up to 9.2 inches over that few day span and 12.2 inches since dec 16/17. That is a lot of wawa.

check out the totals for the year...not often you see 70 plus totals for areas outside the southern appalachians. What's even more shocking to me though is the totals in the plains. That is really some unbelievable numbers covering a huge area.

decreased size of image so that it wouldn't be so huge but for better ones just go to http://water.weather.gov/precip/

post-12-0-41017300-1451476983_thumb.jpg

.02" yesterday.

We've had a few light sprinkles/drizzle this morning. I wonder why the KJNX ASOS station has been reporting "Thunderstorm in vicinity" for fog/drizzle/sprinkles?

Oh, my new weather station recorded it's very first .01" a little while ago!!!

It will be interesting to see how it does with precipitation compared to the 4" CoCoRaHS gauge.

Getting pummeled in ATL this morning...Lots of lightning and booming thunder.

Same here now.  The ground is so saturated that  It only took about 15 minutes for the pasture to start flooding which is really remarkable. Already have picked up close to an inch in just 30 or 40 minutes. It's going to be interesting over the next hour or two here as very heavy rain/storms are lined up pretty well to train over my location. Looks like a real potential for at least another quick 2 inches and if it's already flooding now in about an hour or two it's really going to be something.

Btw, the lexington ga weather station east of athens that's been in operation since 1952 has now broken it's all time yearly rainfall record. The old record was 66.43 inches in 1964..and they were only 0.08 shy before the rain started today. Now they are at 67.25 inches with quite a bit more to go. 

wow...just wow. Extremely heavy rain and a lot of flooding right now. FFC really should be issuing flash flood warnings around the athens area. They did so very quickly for atlanta up to hall county but as usual they are slow being on top of things out this way. GSP though has already issued one for elbert county. Already got 2.10 inches..1.10 just since my last post.

lol..i had to read this twice with your name to believe it :lol: Looks like you are getting hammered again this morning. One has to be concerned for flooding, especially the western half per radar this morning with yet more training and localized heavy amounts.

Picked up 1.45 with that last event here..which brings my total up to 9.2 inches over that few day span and 12.2 inches since dec 16/17. That is a lot of wawa.

check out the totals for the year...not often you see 70 plus totals for areas outside the southern appalachians. What's even more shocking to me though is the totals in the plains. That is really some unbelievable numbers covering a huge area.

decreased size of image so that it wouldn't be so huge but for better ones just go to http://water.weather.gov/precip/

Chris, beyond the copious rain amounts, I've been amazed at the thunder and lightening for this time of year.  I'm getting huge strikes close by...spring time strikes...that knock out power, and rattle the windows, making it hard to sleep, and scaring the ship out of the pup :)  And the thunder rolls...not just a clap and done...it rumbles on for a good while.

I can't remember a pattern change like this one.  To go for so long with less rain than everyone else to being king of the hill.  I sure hope this bleeds over into a middle Ga smasher once the cold comes in :)  I might get me sleet in feet, lol.  You and I have suffered for years, so we deserve this...and sure the ground is so wet now I sink in when I cross what used to be the hard pack, and my croquet court is now a lake, but I'm on high ground so let it come.  I'll take all I can get, and then some :)  I'm begining to think 18 to 20 inches for the month is doable, lol.  Tony

Sure is a fun toy. Someday I'll get it connected to the computer -- someday :D I think the instructions say something about giving the unit time to adjust to the altitude? I do think the only thing I'm going to need to tweak it the pressure reading. It's reading .13" lower than the airport 2 miles away.

.02" since 7:00 on this side of Raleigh.

Guess more rain is coming.

1154 am EST Wed Dec 30 2015

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
Franklin County in central North Carolina...
Vance County in central North Carolina...
Granville County in central North Carolina...
northeastern Wake County in central North Carolina...
Durham County in central North Carolina...

* until 600 PM EST Wednesday

* at 1152 am EST...Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms that were
continuously redeveloping across the warned area. Up to one inch
of rain has already fallen. As storms continue to move over the
area...another one to two inches of rain will be possible. Flash
flooding is expected to begin shortly.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Raleigh...Durham...Henderson...Oxford...Creedmoor...Louisburg...
Wake Forest...Butner...Franklinton and Kittrell.

Archived