joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out severe heat building in Alaska over last few model runs. Encourahung[/]

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/mchen/CFSv2FCST/monthly/images/summaryCFSv2.NaT2m.201601.gif

My old college nickname.

But anyhoo, it'll be a false start just like everything else this window. Phineas has it right. Our winter will be 2 weeks in February. Mark my words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My old college nickname.

But anyhoo, it'll be a false start just like everything else this window. Phineas has it right. Our winter will be 2 weeks in February. Mark my words.

Sent from my iPhone

Although that's possible and it worked out in 1/00 and arguably 2/83, I think our winter lasts longer....not that anyone should change their plans based on my opinion. Lol

My old college nickname.

Sent from my iPhone

Sounds like a typical MD winter lol.

Beautiful April morning. Oh wait.. are those Christmas lights? Damn mosquitos are biting. Mostly cloudy and 55. Come on sun.. let's torch this sh#t.

Euro ens seems to be slowly opening the door by end of month. Not amazing of course but the progression appears to be continuing of shifting the height anomaly east/northeast. Maybe we can get some cold rainers. :P

Euro ens seems to be slowly opening the door by end of month. Not amazing of course but the progression appears to be continuing of shifting the height anomaly east/northeast. Maybe we can get some cold rainers. :P

It must look better than the 6z GEFS then, which looks horrid in the long range. 

It must look better than the 6z GEFS then, which looks horrid in the long range. 

Hadn't looked at GEFS but yes for sure. Euro has the height anomaly center over/east of Newfoundland at the end of the run vs near where it's been in the lakes region. Of course we've seen this before to some degree and it didn't happen. So... who knows. It's still not a fantastic pattern either but it at least might give us some chances.

Doesn't look that much better. I do agree with Ian about the Uber stubborn height anomaly above us may be moving a little.

Imo- there isn't much to optimistic about for a while but it will likely look better in the range in the next 10 days or so.

The west is going to have a prolific storm cycle. Which they desperately need. But it won't last forever. My guess is the west ridges out sometime during the first week or 2 in Jan. What that means for us is hard to say. But until that happens nothing is happening here winter wx wise barring a mega millions odds type of fluke.

As God is my witness, my tulip poplar has buds. I am sick to my stomach - disastrous - that tree is apparently gorgeous in the spring and I am afraid that ain't happening this year (just moved here in July - have yet to see a spring here)

Sent from my iPhone

LOL, a yellow poplar isn't going to leaf out in December

A majority of trees are largely governed by light. Some like the autumn flowering cherry not as much.

That's true, from what I understand, for deciduous trees.  They "respond" to the amount of daylight, regardless of how warm or cold it is.  So you won't see an oak or maple suddenly put out leaves during a period of very warm weather after they drop them in the fall (guess that protects them from getting killed when it does freeze hard eventually).  But yeah, there are some that will flower if it gets warm for a period...I've seen those cherry trees blossoming in December before.  Other flowers in the ground, those I believe can "re-bloom" in the cold season in conditions like what we've got now.

Archived