• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Cat 5 Major Hurricane Patricia

I'm not sure I buy this thing still having 165 mph top wind at landfall.  Andrew had 165 mph wind with about the same pressure at landfall, but Andrew was rapidly strengthening with a very healthy inner core while Patricia had already filled 40 mb and was steadily weakening at landfall.

It's been my experience that sustained surface winds very seldom verify when landfalling TC's are in a weakening stage as opposed to when they are in a strengthening phase, when they can not only verify but even be more violent than forecast.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just so glad that it went through an ERC right before landfall. Think of all the lives and property saved. I would have hated to see something so disastrous and unprecedented in its destruction.

I followed this thread all day and clicked refresh on the satellite floater page every 5 minutes hoping that it would go from a category 7 to a category 4 before anyone on the ground had to experience it or take a video of it. The emotional climax of knowing that the 25-30 people in the direct path of the eyewall are only experiencing category 4 hurricane conditions instead of global record-breaking winds was well worth the 8 hours of wasted production at work.

Human well-being fetish satiated.

Well said.

I'm just so glad that it went through an ERC right before landfall. Think of all the lives and property saved. I would have hated to see something so disastrous and unprecedented in its destruction.

I followed this thread all day and clicked refresh on the satellite floater page every 5 minutes hoping that it would go from a category 7 to a category 4 before anyone on the ground had to experience it or take a video of it. The emotional climax of knowing that the 25-30 people in the direct path of the eyewall are only experiencing category 4 hurricane conditions instead of global record-breaking winds was well worth the 8 hours of wasted production at work.

Human well-being fetish satiated.

Not sure about that. RMW is likely larger now due to the ERC.

To be honest, given that this system has weakened even faster than it intensified, plus the fact that I've never seen a 130+ kt cyclone without an intact inner core, I think that this is 115-120 kt tops at landfall with a central pressure in the low to mid 940s (based on extrapolation from the recon data and filling rate, plus satellite/radar trends). It's basically comparable to Kenna 2002, which attained Category 5 status but then rapidly weakened to a 120-kt hurricane before landfall. This system may even be a bit weaker than Kenna.

Apparently this weather ob went online this morning and is located at a research site. Let the speculation begin if it is legit.

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=CCXJ1&unit=0&timetype=LOCAL

90m elevation at a biological research station.

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/station_total.cgi?stn=CCXJ1&unit=0

No info on the type of instrument or siting.

It's almost physically impossible to see one for a TC moving north under the influence of a mid-latitude system.

True bonifide Cat 5 landfalls are only possible in the deep tropics with a westerly moving TC - Haiyan, Bopha, Dean, Gilbert, Labor Day 1935, Janet, etc.

Camille wasn't bona-fide?

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

From 11pm NHC disco

An unconfirmed sustained wind report of 185 mph and a gust to 211mph was received from a NOAA/NWS Hydrometeorological Automated DataSystem (HADS) elevated station (295 ft) at Chamela-Cuixmala, Mexiconear the time of landfall.  This observation should be consideredunofficial until it has been quality controlled.

Good news is from a met standpoint we saw arguably the strongest storm the world has ever seen which also likely won't cause a huge loss of life but some can chase a formidable storm and we received good one.

So Patty is worse than those western pacific Super Typhoon bitches? I feel like those are consistently just awful.....

Archived