• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Nbarth
    Newest Member
    Nbarth
TropicalAnalystwx13

Cat 5 Major Hurricane Patricia

Reminds me of how Katrina fell apart right before landfall. I remember some newscasters on the cable networks talking about New Orleans "dodged a bullet", but as daylight broke it was clear something catastrophic was taking place. Obviously that was a unique circumstance, but it's important to remember that for some people this still has the potential to be extremely devastating even if it's significantly weaker than at it's peak.

Totally agree!

Josh said he might be in the eye. Uh oh!

He says the current pressure where he's located is 972 mb and rapidly falling.

He says the current pressure where he's located is 972 mb and rapidly falling.

Looking at the latest frames, it appears to be coming ashore very close to his location. Hard to know for certain based on satellite alone.

Beach Cam appears to have gone down. Looks to have just landfilled based on satellite.

Looks like possible landfall at 545 pm CDT. Also appears Josh is either getting the eye or just outside of it in the NE quadrant!

Got down to 930 MB, might have been the eye wall.

Think he said it bottomed out in the 930's and very little doubt he was in the eyewall. He described the turbulent nature of the wind gusts I anticipated and mentioned earlier.

Impressive obs!

HURRICANE PATRICIA TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

EP202015 625 PM CDT FRI OCT 23 2015 ...

CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE PATRICIA MAKES LANDFALL ALONG THE COAST OF MEXICO WITH 165-MPH WINDS...

Satellite images indicate that the center of the eye of Patricia made landfall at approximately 615 PM CDT...2315 UTC...along the coast of southwestern Mexico near Cuixmala.

This position is also about 55 miles...85 km...west-northwest of Manzanillo, Mexico. The maximum winds were estimated to be 165 mph...270 km/h.

SUMMARY OF 615 PM...2315 UTC...INFORMATION ---------------------------------------------------

LOCATION...19.4N 105.0W

ABOUT 55 MI...85 KM WNW OF MANZANILLO MEXICO

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...165 MPH...270 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 15 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...920 MB...27.17 INCHES

$$ Forecaster Blake/Stewart

From the 5pm Advisory:

3. The NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft reports that at this time, the

Category 5 winds are occurring over a very small area near the

center - about 15 miles across.

I'm not sure I buy this thing still having 165 mph top wind at landfall.  Andrew had 165 mph wind with about the same pressure at landfall, but Andrew was rapidly strengthening with a very healthy inner core while Patricia had already filled 40 mb and was steadily weakening at landfall.