• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Drought busting rains PRE event

dailylurker

Guys and gals, I think we need to alert people to the "PRE" (predecessor rainfall event) that may be about to transpire for a large geographical area. I have seen some outputs from reliable models that are painting 6-10" of rain for my specific area. We cannot even take an inch of rain at this point over here in Roanoke, let alone that amount. This would be catastrophic to the area. There are so many other variables then just the Hurricane itself, which by no means am I taking away the severity of a hurricane. If people are not familiar with a PRE look it up on google etc quite ominous sounding.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys and gals, I think we need to alert people to the "PRE" (predecessor rainfall event) that may be about to transpire for a large geographical area. I have seen some outputs from reliable models that are painting 6-10" of rain for my specific area. We cannot even take an inch of rain at this point over here in Roanoke, let alone that amount. This would be catastrophic to the area. There are so many other variables then just the Hurricane itself, which by no means am I taking away the severity of a hurricane. If people are not familiar with a PRE look it up on google etc quite ominous sounding.

Agreed.  Wouldn't mind moving the Joaquin talk to a new thread

Between ILM and OBX it would appear... but that is the mean.  Wonder what the individ ensembles show

And even then I'm not sure I'd put a ton of stock into the SREF at range. General idea of coming back to the coast vs the Euro solution though - good to see support for the majority camp. Have to believe Euro must cave at some point...either that or a full meltdown of the other models. 

yes,  the SREF has no direct tropical relocation code.   But the 7 members initialized off of the GFS should be ok since the GFS has that code.   The 7 members initialized off of the RAP may be ok, since the GFS feeds synoptics into the RAP every 12 hours.   The members initialized off of the NAM (which does not have the tropical relocation) are probably screwed.

And even then I'm not sure I'd put a ton of stock into the SREF at range. General idea of coming back to the coast vs the Euro solution though - good to see support for the majority camp. Have to believe Euro must cave at some point...either that or a full meltdown of the other models. 

yes,  the SREF has no direct tropical relocation code.   But the 7 members initialized off of the GFS should be ok since the GFS has that code.   The 7 members initialized off of the RAP may be ok, since the GFS feeds synoptics into the RAP every 12 hours.   The members initialized off of the NAM (which does not have the tropical relocation) are probably screwed.

Yeah I have to imagine it's those factors combined with the SREF being at longer range. 

6z gfs shows prolonged gale conditions on the beaches and bay Fri-sun. And then storm conditions all the way to the cities Sunday. Sustained 50mph along 95 with 60+ over water. Hurricane force gusts for sure over water.

Further south track would definitely cause more surge issues on the bay because the S-SE flow would roar on approach.

Having prolonged easterly gale conditions leading in would weaken the Atlantic Coast's defenses prior to the big stuff.

Pretty nasty run again. 12z will be SRO around here.

That will shut down the Bay and Key bridge.

BULLETIN

HURRICANE JOAQUIN ADVISORY NUMBER 11

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL112015

1100 AM EDT WED SEP 30 2015

...JOAQUIN STRENGTHENS SOME MORE AS IT MOVES SOUTHWESTWARD TOWARD

THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS...

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...INFORMATION

-----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...24.7N 72.6W

ABOUT 215 MI...345 KM ENE OF THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...80 MPH...130 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...SW OR 230 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...971 MB...28.68 INCHES

yes, thank you.  and it isn't even the late hours.    I'll say it again:  the NAM does not have the tropical relocation code that the GFS has, so it has no hope of getting a system like that correct.

but it may be accurate with its 5-8" PRE rain event for Friday into Saturday.

ok, guys.  late hour NAM isn't best for tropical stuff.  C'mon.  does this have to be said?

Archived