Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12Z Guidance Discussion 12/21/10

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, the differences at h5 at 78 hours vs 6z NAM...looks much better i would think?

The 12z NAM looks to be in lock step with the 0z ECMWF with the ULL placement in TX at 0z 12/25, which is very impressive considering we are talking about the NAM at 84hrs. It does have a piece of energy in IL, while the 0z EC has it in IA, with the main phasing parcel coming down through ND. No big deal on that at this range, what is going on in TX is the main thing to take away from this run, and that looks great and has support from the Euro.

Will be looking at the 12z GFS and Euro to see if the slowing down of the system holds. I'm thinking the slower the system, the better chance for a coastal bomb than OTS.

This run also gives me a glimmer of hope that I may be able to beat the storm to DCA without a delayed or canceled flight.

Did you not read the Storm mode announcement?

Look at this post folks. Do you want to be limited to 5 posts per day or suspended? This will do it.

Keep it on topic, give some rudimentary analysis or just don't post in the model thread. This thread is for model analysis/discussion only.

Sorry, NAM seems to be folding towards the Euro with holding the energy back a bit more. Thank God, cause a crippling NESIS event Xmas eve into Xmas would be a nightmare.

Will be looking at the 12z GFS and Euro to see if the slowing down of the system holds. I'm thinking the slower the system, the better chance for a coastal bomb than OTS.

This run also gives me a glimmer of hope that I may be able to beat the storm to DCA without a delayed or canceled flight.

Even the 06 gfs slowed this system down. We're looking at the 2010 Boxing day storm now for most. I'd suspect guidance will be slower than the actual timing but only by a few hours as is typical.

Even the 06 gfs slowed this system down. We're looking at the 2010 Boxing day storm now for most. I'd suspect guidance will be slower than the actual timing but only by a few hours as is typical.

That nebulous place south of VA....TN/GA/SC/NC it's a Christmas Day storm

Did you not read the Storm mode announcement?

Look at this post folks. Do you want to be limited to 5 posts per day or suspended? This will do it.

Keep it on topic, give some rudimentary analysis or just don't post in the model thread. This thread is for model analysis/discussion only.

yep you beat me to it.

the 12z gfs is coming in soon you better post something good. we will have a record number of people on today, and we don't need the follwing type of posts

looks good

what are your thoughts met XXXX

gosh i hope i can make it to grandmas house

i'll take it

we're screwed

emoticons only

i got 24" last run and only 6" on this run winters over

this is your warning

Yes I was speaking for the big cities. Nice image of the playing field.

sat_wv_hem_loop-12.gif

Apologies for the diversion. Looks like the Pineapple Express is open for business. Let's waition the GFS--I think if the GFS and the EURO show this evolution and solution, I'll be fully onboard.

Off topic: Damn, that W Atlantic storm looks impressive on WV.

Just had a chance to look over the nam. I know this is at the 84 hour when NAM is a little iffy. But looking at the 500's wouldn't this argue for a very suppressed solution with it going out to sea. It has a very positive tilt and the heights on the east coast look nonexistent.

Also wanted to mention that the ridge out west looks a little to far east to my eyes. Not an expert so I could be totally off on this.

Just had a chance to look over the nam. I know this is at the 84 hour when NAM is a little iffy. But looking at the 500's wouldn't this argue for a very suppressed solution with it going out to sea. It has a very positive tilt and the heights on the east coast look nonexistent.

It's a good point. IMHO, the driving force behind rising heights on the EC will be the lifting away of the large H5 feature. As it pulls away, heights off the seaboard will begin to rise, providing a way for this storm to turn the corner. If you look at the loop of the GFS (even only through 18-24 hours, you can see the H5 low lifting north-northeast. This should force heights to rise.

IMHO - It appears the northern stream is about to invigorate that trof as the north atlantic low appears to be moving out.

EVERYone DID SEE THE 0z EURO ENSEMBLE MEAN... which as THEGREATDR point out which shwos a NESIS 4 -- 5 event right?

Huh?

Here are the 120hr and 144hr maps I saw:

00zecmwfens500mbHGHTNA120.gif

00zecmwfens500mbHGHTNA144.gif

How does that equate to this:

010718.png

010812.png

Or, rather, how does a 993mb mean low 200mi east of ACY get us to NESIS 5? NESIS 4? Yeah, i guess BDL to BOS could get clobbered with the ECE's forecast. I'm not sure NJ through NYC would do all that great, though.

The H5 setup is similar to the 0z Euro at the same time, which does not "scoot" off the coast.

The large low over the Atl. will be lifting out, while the energy across the upper Midwest is being to interact with the southern shortwave.

The atmosphere is a very complicated fluid, one that does not always lead to accurate visual qualitative extrapolations. That's why we leave it to very complicated mathematics when it comes to trying to solve the evolution....it's hard to imagine how all those moving parts are going to interact.

Wasn't talking about MBY. This looks like it would basically scoot off the coast without it turning up the coast to give coastal Del, Jersey and New York snow.

This can be taken two different ways. Either the NAM is considered good because of its agreement with the ECMWF, or since it tends to have a strong/slow bias at this time range, it could imply the ECMWF is too strong/slow. =)

DR

The 12z NAM looks to be in lock step with the 0z ECMWF with the ULL placement in TX at 0z 12/25, which is very impressive considering we are talking about the NAM at 84hrs. It does have a piece of energy in IL, while the 0z EC has it in IA, with the main phasing parcel coming down through ND. No big deal on that at this range, what is going on in TX is the main thing to take away from this run, and that looks great and has support from the Euro.

Archived