• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
12Z Guidance Discussion 12/21/10

I think this may be a PHL to ME storm. It seems more and more like a classic Miller B. With regards to GFS, one has to expect variability. We almost never seen run to run consensus leading up to a major event. All in all, like I noted last evening, I think this is a repeat of the Dec. 2000 MECS.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

120 looks to have light precipitation for most of the mid atlantic but 144 shows a bomb in the NE. We can't see the precip for 120-132, but I'd bet it's not that impressive for the mid-atlantic. Bombing is probably north of Philly.

Post 134 of this thread, previous page, shows precip for 12 hrs ending H132.

So the concensus we are getting from many in this thread is that the threat for DC/PHL is lessening slightly as the phase is trending to happening later??

NYC-BOS special??

on the GGEM it looks better for places north of Philly. The 12z GFS op gives basically gives nothing to anyone. still a long way to go. See what the ensembles and Euro has to say now, considering it was pretty close to the GGEM at 0z when it looked like a major hit for the MA to NE.

one factor I think people are overlooking is the strength of the pacific jet and the asian vortex

gfs_300_090s.gif

the placement o the asian vortex is allowing a 130 KT jet to undercut our west coast ridge and shear the crap out the southern branch shortwave. we need a more meridional allignment of the jet in the WPAC for this thing to have a chance. if the asian vortex is displaced south or west then we end up with a smoother ridge in the WPAC and a more neutrually tilted GOA trough. I can see how HM's short wavelengths are playing in our favor but with the negatively tilted GOA trough, all bets are off IMO. The evolution of the Asian vortex over the next 48 hours to me is going to be very key.

I think this may be a PHL to ME storm. It seems more and more like a classic Miller B. With regards to GFS, one has to expect variability. We almost never seen run to run consensus leading up to a major event. All in all, like I noted last evening, I think this is a repeat of the Dec. 2000 MECS.

i mentioned that yesterday... the Dec 31 2000 storm? coastal DE got a few inches but outside of that it was a miss for the MA. it was a Philly N and E storm with a very sharp cutoff.

Guest someguy

a miller B that features a s/w in the STJ and a surfac e and 850 Low over SC?

ya know that track is good for central and eastern va

looks like 2 camps maybe...suppressed which would be a decent hit for NE NC, eastern VA, and maybe the eastern shore. or a late phaser which gives a light or moderate snow to coastal MA and a major hit for SNE. the extremes on either end of that are a total miss OTS and the bomb from last nights 0z runs....interesting to see how this plays out.

Yeah, I don't get the argument that this is a Miller B...

It might be a late phaser, which is different.

it redevelops off the carolina coast tho.. it seems like a miller b with perhaps everything displaced a bit south

It jumps I guess, but there is a low on most models skirting around down south, right?

originally there is an eastward moving overruning event that seems to want to transfer to the SE. the euro maybe has implied more miller a look here and there but i think the storm will end up being a jumper mor likely.

Ah, finally a voice of reason among mets. GFS is not as bad as ppl make it out to be, but it merely has its biases. Its a computer modeling system, therefore is prone to variability. This is simple statistics and computer science stuff. I personally think this is closer to Feb 2010 or a Jan 1996 type of event, but I am certainly not talking about snowfall amounts, I mean track and evolution.

I personally think it's a hybrid.

Was waiting for this Nick. It is in my book as well. Hybrid Miller A/B. Strong southern stream s/w that gets captured by the northern stream riding up and over the western ridge. My intuition is telling me the 12z GFS is overplaying the northern stream and underplaying the southern stream.

Was waiting for this Nick. It is in my book as well. Hybrid Miller A/B. Strong southern stream s/w that gets captured by the northern stream riding up and over the western ridge. My intuition is telling me the 12z GFS is overplaying the northern stream and underplaying the southern stream.

Unless things have changed drastically, that's a known bias.

[/weenie]

Archived