• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
12Z Guidance Discussion 12/21/10

I like the ridge being so strong upstream which argues for amplification but the timing of any phasing is critical. The Gem would not be that great for dc but would be great to the north though it's low does seem a little east of where I'd expect it from the 500h pattern. I haven;t seen the ukmet.

Here' s the UKMET

f144.gif

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The UKMET, GGEM, and EURO, all show a major storm moving up the coast. With some differences in position of the low, I think todays 12z runs were very conclusive for a storm still 5 days away to significantly impact much of the mid atlantic and northeast. As for the GFS, well, whats there to say, wait till tonites run..

wes

, it seems to me the euor at 12z is kind of close to the 0z euro ensemble mean at 120 and 144 ...

JMHO

I noticed that but still ma interested in the 12Z ensemble mean. Look at the ukmet, it phases but looks too far east to do us dc guys much good at least based on the 500h low position. I guess I'm more conservative than many here. If you change the relative speed of the two streams you change the result of any phasing.

Guest someguy

try 12:1

this is not an arctic airmass

850 temps over RIC are -4c drop to -8c

and -8c are common all up and down the I-95 corridor

you sure about that?

I have seen plenty of posts for the eastern half of PA...but what exactly are QPF further back west in western PA, eastern OH, western NY? I'm assuming in the .50-.75 range? I'm also assuming there is a very sharp cut off.

0.5 inch line right around pittsubrgh, about 30-40 miles east if the 0.75 line

all of NYS up north into canada is over 0.50 inches at minimum, majority over 0.75 inches.

looks like just buffalo/jamestown/niagra region in the 0.5 range.

Experts? Anybody?

I keep reading about the "slowing down", especially the Euro, and was wondering how this affects the track of the storm, it it occurs. If the low in the Atlantic is given more time to get out of the way? And how does this potential bombing out affect the eventual track of the low? Mainly the slowing down though. Net result on storm track?

Why is the 12Z GFS wrong? Folks are real quick to just toss it's solution even though it has some support.

why? because its saying something that most people here dont want to believe. Just dont disagree with it because you want snow, the same stuff was being said with last weeks storm when the GFS caught on to it being ots

Experts? Anybody?

I keep reading about the "slowing down", especially the Euro, and was wondering how this affects the track of the storm, it it occurs. If the low in the Atlantic is given more time to get out of the way? And how does this potential bombing out affect the eventual track of the low? Mainly the slowing down though. Net result on storm track?

If the storm slows down, it has more time to phase with the northern jet and become a blizzard.

If it moves faster, it does not phase, and we get much less snow, and may even go out to sea.

When it came to storms last year (or any previous years really) was the Euro ever this consistent in showing a massive bomb this many runs in this time frame? And was it usually correct?

Basically, I don't remember the Euro ever showing such a massive bomb like this over and over. And I hope that is an indication that this could really happen.

Guest Patrick

You're all going to laugh at me, but I am going to say this anyway.

In a Nina, the only model to follow is the ETA within about 6-12 hours of the storm's arrival. Reference mid 1990's

When it came to storms last year (or any previous years really) was the Euro ever this consistent in showing a massive bomb this many runs in this time frame? And was it usually correct?

Basically, I don't remember the Euro ever showing such a massive bomb like this over and over. And I hope that is an indication that this could really happen.

If the storm slows down, it has more time to phase with the northern jet and become a blizzard.

If it moves faster, it does not phase, and we get much less snow, and may even go out to sea.

But is there such a thing as too slow? Like - so slow nothing happens? Just saw an 18 hour difference in start times between last night's models and today's model runs. That's a huge difference and what is slowing the development?

So you're basically saying you're not taking into any account any model whatsoever except the ETA 6-12 hrs before the storm? :huh:

And wouldn't most models have picked up on things 6-12 hours before a storm? I'd like to think that some of the model programming has changed for the better in the last fifteen years?

you guys may laugh but I am not liking the JMA not being in the same camp as the EURO. Uusally the JMA goes nuts with this stuff. The fact that the JMA never showed a storm last week at all while the others did at one point is alarming. The JMA is showing an improved solution but its nowhere near the EURO

Archived