• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Tropical Season Thread

CT Valley Snowman

I gotcha. But weak waves and a borderline super Nino doesn't exacty sound like a busy MDR season on the way. That and the last few disasters.

I wouldn't be surprised to finaly see some decent waves come off and just as they are doing so bam the shear gun starts blasting.

Time will tell

This isn't a "super nino"  ...It's been over sold quite a bit.  

Not sure why, but this particular El Nino has been getting histrionic praise --  Fact of the matter is, the number currently range moderate to strong in strength, among the four key zones of the ENSO monitoring, and the recent model runs have less members wondering off into supreme oblivion.  In other words ... the mean is tamer; and it always has been for that matter.  It seems there has almost been a wanton interpretation that exceeds reality with the El Nino.   

Could it become a "super" nino?  Sure, but it isn't modeled to do so and isn't there at this time.  ...whatever super means... 

anyway, I still don't see an abundance of shear over-taking the Atl. Basin.  We still are not getting strong Waves to eject along the CV region.  

Amazing to see that product now going off the charts for the last 2 weeks of the month and into the first week of September though.  Whatever is out there in the formulation of that product, it's gotta be keying in some some pretty fantastic signals...

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we may get our threat come this weekend.  NAM is gung ho on a potent tropical storm coming up this way from 850mb vorticity over MO currently.  I don't know what the wind shear maps say for that time frame, but what I do know is that the SSTs to our south are warming up.  This is the start of the real hurricane season.

Coastal low yes. It does have an outside chance of being subtropical. This is the homegrown stuff I'm looking for this season. Bob was a local boy

Well that was in response to the post before mine. That is a baroclinic low developing from processes we see in east coast cyclogenesis. That in itself can produce gusty winds and rain....I guess I don't see the tropical threat even if it's subtropical.

I think we may get our threat come this weekend.  NAM is gung ho on a potent tropical storm coming up this way from 850mb vorticity over MO currently.  I don't know what the wind shear maps say for that time frame, but what I do know is that the SSTs to our south are warming up.  This is the start of the real hurricane season.

:bag:  :facepalm:

Welp ... we got our selves a promising Invest.  96L is at an extremely low latitude, ~ 9N by 28 W.  

This is actually favorable for development for a couple of reasons.  One, the SAL is safely N by several hundred KM.  Shear is also inherently low for the disturbance being on the equatorial side of the monsoonal trough. In fact, the disturbance should continue to trundle its way westward along the axis of divergence aloft for the next several days.  I realize that shear is supposedly in surplus during warm ENSO events (Paciifc). We haven't actually observed anomalous shear, and I believe that since this warm ENSO event's onset has primarily taken place during the nebular hemispheric gradient associated with the summer season, there has not yet been consequential exhaust invading the Atlantic Basic - this may change as autumn matures.  

TPC placed a 50/50 shot at designation by mid week, with 60 % soon there after.  This is the highest probability of development since May, ending an extended dearth in features of significance. During the interim there have been a few suspicious gyres that have spun west off the western African continent, as well, locally to the west Atlantic waterways .. but none showing 96L's promise.  

Note: this almost precisely the beginning of the erstwhile discussed Roundy Probabilities product showing huge anomalies in the 2nd half of August/first half of September.  Also, the SST's in the Atlantic have been running slightly cool anomalous S of the polarward aspect of an apparent tripole.  However, just over the last 10 days we've seen SST amid this negative node warm slightly.  It is interesting that those two, one predictive, and one observational, seem to be collocating in time. 

Welp ... we got our selves a promising Invest. 96L is at an extremely low latitude, ~ 9N by 28 W.

This is actually favorable for development for a couple of reasons. One, the SAL is safely N by several hundred KM. Shear is also inherently low for the disturbance being on the equatorial side of the monsoonal trough. In fact, the disturbance should continue to trundle its way westward along the axis of divergence aloft for the next several days. I realize that shear is supposedly in surplus during warm ENSO events (Paciifc). We haven't actually observed anomalous shear, and I believe that since this warm ENSO event's onset has primarily taken place during the nebular hemispheric gradient associated with the summer season, there has not yet been consequential exhaust invading the Atlantic Basic - this may change as autumn matures.

TPC placed a 50/50 shot at designation by mid week, with 60 % soon there after. This is the highest probability of development since May, ending an extended dearth in features of significance. During the interim there have been a few suspicious gyres that have spun west off the western African continent, as well, locally to the west Atlantic waterways .. but none showing 96L's promise.

Note: this almost precisely the beginning of the erstwhile discussed Roundy Probabilities product showing huge anomalies in the 2nd half of August/first half of September. Also, the SST's in the Atlantic have been running slightly cool anomalous S of the polarward aspect of an apparent tripole. However, just over the last 10 days we've seen SST amid this negative node warm slightly. It is interesting that those two, one predictive, and one observational, seem to be collocating in time.

Any chance that it could actually make landfall anywhere near the northeast?

Thanks.

/weenie

96L could simply miss the shear axis to its northwest as it slides westward at or around 10N and into the Caribbean Sea , it could be a hurricane before it reaches the islands.  Also a disturbance collocated with upper level low to its west is currently being sheared, but if it moves to the northwest some and not so close to the islands it could actually develop over the warm waters of the Bahamas.

96L looks like the one real threat on the horizon right now to become Tropical Storm Danny and then eventually Hurricane Danny.  I would give 96L 70% chance at developing within 2 days and 80% chance at developing within the next five days.  That is for the 2am hour TWO.  Also I saw the latest HWRF run and it develops 96L into a decent hurricane.  However the 18z GFDL does not develop 96L, right now based on current conditions and the condition of 96L's convective structure, I would have to say it develops within 48 hours and becomes Danny at around 3z on the 19th.  It already appears it is developing a good feeder band on the northwest side of the circulation.  This is the most promising system of the year to this point.  Shear is low, SSTs are decent and moist background gives credence to my expectations of 96L.  Convection will fluctuate.

96L looks like the one real threat on the horizon right now to become Tropical Storm Danny and then eventually Hurricane Danny. I would give 96L 70% chance at developing within 2 days and 80% chance at developing within the next five days. That is for the 2am hour TWO. Also I saw the latest HWRF run and it develops 96L into a decent hurricane. However the 18z GFDL does not develop 96L, right now based on current conditions and the condition of 96L's convective structure, I would have to say it develops within 48 hours and becomes Danny at around 3z on the 19th. It already appears it is developing a good feeder band on the northwest side of the circulation. This is the most promising system of the year to this point. Shear is low, SSTs are decent and moist background gives credence to my expectations of 96L. Convection will fluctuate.

James is that you?

I think a 1635 redux ought to do it.

1635 was legit. I doubt it was a cat 4 as that's nearly impossible this far north but a solid cat 3. There was an even stronger storm during the pre-colonial period some time between 1200 and 1400 that was even stronger them 1635. I would love to see the meteorology behind that

1635 was legit. I doubt it was a cat 4 as that's nearly impossible this far north but a solid cat 3. There was an even stronger storm during the pre-colonial period some time between 1200 and 1400 that was even stronger them 1635. I would love to see the meteorology behind that

We'll see in a 100 years when the 80 F SST isotherm gets N of the VA Capes, and the shelf waters S of Long Island get to 80 in the summer times...  

Archived