joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Tropical Season Thread

CT Valley Snowman

Invest 97l could be interesting this weekend

"indeed" ... , "snow" 

j/k..   

yeah, this is overall all is a striking success for longer lead prediction of frequency...  Details aside, it was noted in here many, many a-moon post ago that this period from Aug 15 through ..circa September 10 or even 15 was going to get active.  The probabilities product sited was even quite a bit anomalously high at that.   Here we are with Danny, albeit in danger of damping, but two new invests: one home grown, and the train off Africa appears to be in effect.  

Whether any of this directly impacts any particular area of interest aside, this tropical season may still have a chapter or two coming before we can label it a failure. 

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ineedsnow, that is what I have been saying all along here, now that we have an invest 97L I can put a name to it now.  I think 97L can hit SNE as a 60mph TS.  Especially if that ridge stays strong over SE Canada and North Atlantic Ocean near the Canadian Maritimes. 

No, to be fair and honest... You were referencing the U/A "TUTT" disturbance, and what they are labeling is not that feature. 

It was a short life

Matt Lanza ‏@mattlanza  16m

Danny probably doesn't have a prayer vs. the shredder this weekend. Euro says waves behind Danny marginally more interesting perhaps.

I don't know who that person is... but I agree that subsequent disturbances may also develop.  

But what does he mean by "more promising..."   ?  

For what exactly... ??  Danny developed.  That's successful -

I shared this same sentiment through last night, but the system seems to be doing well for itself after all.

20150820.1245.GOES13.vis.04L.DANNY.ATL.p

I shared this same sentiment through last night, but the system seems to be doing well for itself after all.

Danny could LF in RI, then Ct  CC wouldn't feel its effects. 10 mile wide H winds less than 60 mile wide TS

"...Conventional and

microwave satellite images indicate that Danny is an unusually small
tropical cyclone...."

That is really cool!   And, may actually be an interesting puzzle for the models. In fact, I wonder if the initialization grid size could be challenged for the GFS camp - interpolations for the loss if Danny is a micro-cane. 

For all you mayhem marvins ... this is great if this southerly/sou' easterly flow persists from the MA on up like this, because it piles and piles warm water into the shelf area S of LI, which would be a positive feed-back for any TC that "winds" the gamble of corner turning chances...

"...Conventional and

microwave satellite images indicate that Danny is an unusually small

tropical cyclone...."

That is really cool!   And, may actually be an interesting puzzle for the models. In fact, I wonder if the initialization grid size could be challenged for the GFS camp - interpolations for the loss if Danny is a micro-cane. 

Too bad conditions were not remaining favorable because this could go boom very, very rapidly.

It will probably derail rather quickly once the shear makes itself known....

These tiny critters are acutely malleable to external influences..

lol I missed that, I was referring to the forecast

These midgets are notoriously tough on forecasters.....huge intensity fluctuations with little warning.

Charlie was a great example...forecast for about 100mph, roared ashore at 145mph...

Catch 22 because it is even more critical that landfall is appropriately timed relative to the life cycle.

They fall as fast as they rise lol

These midgets are notoriously tough on forecasters.....huge intensity fluctuations with little warning.

Charlie was a great example...forecast for about 100mph, roared ashore at 145mph...

Catch 22 because it is even more critical that landfall is appropriately timed relative to the life cycle.

Andrew was really tiny too, wasn't it?

For the first few vis frames this morning, when Danny had a relatively clear eye, it kind of reminded me of Charely.

20040813.1445.goes-12.vis2.x.03LCHARLEY.

These tiny critters are acutely malleable to external influences..

Indeed ... 

but, Danny plays the role - plausibly - as the 'sacrificial lamb'    He's scouring out a lot of SAL contamination and in general, leaving a moister atmosphere in place. The upside is that he has not been strong enough, or large enough combined to significantly perturb the SST/oceanic heat content  ... all this now in wait for later Pac-men to gobble west from off of Africa.  

I've seen this in the past .. and have thought it worthy of formal research.  The first significant TW of an erstwhile quiescent season is often blown up (or over blown anyway ...) in guidance, but it is in fact that 2nd, 3rd system that performs better. 

Indeed ... 

but, Danny plays the role - plausibly - as the 'sacrificial lamb'    He's scouring out a lot of SAL contamination and in general, leaving a moister atmosphere in place. The upside is that he has not been strong enough, or large enough combined to significantly perturb the SST/oceanic heat content  ... all this now in wait for later Pac-men to gobble west from off of Africa.  

I've seen this in the past .. and have thought it worthy of formal research.  The first significant TW of an erstwhile quiescent season is often blown up (or over blown anyway ...) in guidance, but it is in fact that 2nd, 3rd system that performs better. 

Had never thought of this, but it makes perfect sense.

Archived