joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Tropical Season Thread

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite time of year to bring back the Noel chase... it was the first gathering (for myself) of meeting the wieners.

Bob with his garbage bag still makes me laugh aloud. Still have my zoot suit!

Will and Kevin even then, back and forth. Things never change I guess

8 years ago. WOW   

Well ... anyway, should Danny survive the immediate lapping fest of the coolant out there ... he's got two options in the models.

As others are undoubtedly aware, those are 1) damping out as an open wave either due to interactions with the Caribbean archipelago/unfavorable atmosphere at that time; or, 2) comes further N to within 50 or 100 naut mi of PR as an intense, odds-dodging success story.

Both options are disappointing to Hurricane-experience enthusiasts, however, but may be interesting meteorology to those who care to reflect on matters scientifically.

The 2nd option is particularly annoying, tho, wrt to the enthusiasm. Because ... the "would-be" hurricane moves almost dead perfectly through the needle threaded climo track for the majority of EC impactors; yet, it's tough to move a 'cane up into the EC with an OV heat wave maturing.  Nope... bumpered to England in the GFS scenarios. 

Option 1 may actually be the best hope for any experience at all, *IF* the GFS' idea of a late season subtropical/continental ridge balloon is correct. Obviously ... lots of moving parts to this (to put it lightly...).  So, notwithstanding the bewildering myriad of possibilities ... the reason why is because a weaker system sneaks west through the lower troposphere, and then ends up in the western Caribbean over the some of the highest octane oceanic energy on the planet.  If the system is stronger than beta-drift would erode the system more polaward out in time, and then it would have to either recurve or stall before doing that anyway. 

There is yet a more abstract 3rd option to consider... the other foreign models are correct about the troughing in the OV, while the GFS wins the intensity and northerly track position(s).  That gets interesting... The only trouble is, there are no models that concurrently show those two scenario... Well, I suppose one could argue the NAVGEM (frankenmodel) does a little, but I have yet to see that particular tool turn a screw with much success just yet. 

I'm telling you while the CMC is the most bullish with it in its 12z run, it is completely possible that our disturbance off the east coast of the US gets going north of Bermuda and is slingshot northwestward towards CC and Islands.  850mb vorticity is almost as strong with it north of Bermuda as Danny's 850mb vorticity.

I'm telling you while the CMC is the most bullish with it in its 12z run, it is completely possible that our disturbance off the east coast of the US gets going north of Bermuda and is slingshot northwestward towards CC and Islands.  850mb vorticity is almost as strong with it north of Bermuda as Danny's 850mb vorticity.

The GGEM is notorious for this. It's an ULL and it would take a lot to get significant surface development. I think the most likely scenario is the energy interacting with the stalled front. Not exciting but plenty wet, and that's good enough for me.

Don't grouse if Danny succumbs ...and I'm not saying that it will - if.  Because, we're likely see another there emerging off Africa fairly soon.  The Basin is about as primed as it's going to be for this year, and this years particular inhibitors...and robust looking waves with impressive cyclonic sigs are poised to move off.   The period of time between Aug 15 and Sept 7 was modeled by experimental products to be quite active - if perhaps antithetical to predictions as that may be.  

The GGEM is notorious for this. It's an ULL and it would take a lot to get significant surface development. I think the most likely scenario is the energy interacting with the stalled front. Not exciting but plenty wet, and that's good enough for me.

Yeah, I don't see much evidence that the storm phase is transitioning there.  

It would need to pass through sub-tropical thermodynamics ...then wend it's way to creating the quasi- ocean/atmospheric coupling that is required for purer warm cores... That's a long trek.  Sometimes that can happen fairly fast, so we'll see.  

-- when given any excuse at all the CMC drills for oil. 

Dry air, somewhat disorganized, entering an area of slightly cooler than normal ocean temps. Looks like riging may build north of the cyclone and keep the path further south where it could encounter greater wind shear and land. Danny honestly doesn't have a lot going for him in my mind. At least the pattern looks intriguing going forward with more waves

emerging from the African coast.

Archived