joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come there are no heat advisories in CAE? This is undoubtedly the hottest I have ever been.

Heat advisory criteria for the KCAE region is 110. While hot, heat index values aren't being forecast and met for the required 2 hours. (There have been some brief 110 HI readings reported in that region but only at brief intervals).

Heat advisory criteria for the KCAE region is 110. While hot, heat index values aren't being forecast and met for the required 2 hours. (There have been some brief 110 HI readings reported in that region but only at brief intervals).

What he is saying is it has to be hotter than lava to get a Heat advisory in KCAE.

Speaking of heat, alaska and northeastern siberia have been having their share of it too. Highs well into the 80s in many places and forecasts have temps in the mid to upper 80s for huge portions of the state the next few days. In fact, depending on the run, the gfs has been showing temps reaching 90 plus in large areas over the interior in the coming days. Even areas of the far north are really warm. Areas along the coast are naturally still cool but even barrow is expected to get into the 50s. But not far away from the coast, temps well into the 70s and even lower 80s look to be possible in the coming days. Some records have already been broken but i imagine many more will in the coming days.

I can't imagine what 80s feels like to people up there, much less 90s.

gfsAK_sfc_temp_024.gif

gfsAK_sfc_temp_096.gif

Extremely impressive Alaskan and Siberian Heat wave. Obviously, the humidity will be much lower than what we experience in the Southeast but it's all relative. Siberia and Alaska are prone to heat waves but likely they are just as miserable feeling to them as this heat wave ongoing here is as miserable to us.

Edit: quite possibly a lot of those areas lack aie conditioning so factor that would even worse to bear.

Extremely impressive Alaskan and Siberian Heat wave. Obviously, the humidity will be much lower than what we experience in the Southeast but it's all relative. Siberia and Alaska are prone to heat waves but likely they are just as miserable feeling to them as this heat wave ongoing here is as miserable to us.

Edit: quite possibly a lot of those areas lack aie conditioning so factor that would even worse to bear.

I was about to say the same thing. I imagine they don't get much in the way of high humidity like we do. Also someone mentioned the sun angle is much lower.

I was about to say the same thing. I imagine they don't get much in the way of high humidity like we do. Also someone mentioned the sun angle is much lower.

Well.  The lower sun angle is offset by the fact it is up there 20 hours a day.

As for humidity.  You might be surprised there as well.  Here's an informative link.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Alaska/humidity-june.php

So, I caught the wife looking at the local forecast on The Weather Channel. She asked about the 60% chance we have for tomorrow. I checked NWS RAH.... 20%. No wonder the general public gets confused, then angry/upset, with so many disconnected forecasts out there.

So, I caught the wife looking at the local forecast on The Weather Channel. She asked about the 60% chance we have for tomorrow. I checked NWS RAH.... 20%. No wonder the general public gets confused, then angry/upset, with so many disconnected forecasts out there.

Just always go the the NWS GSP forecast , they are never wrong!? :)

Archived