Newest Member
    CHSVol
June Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brick,

Why the heck didn't you tell us that you have your own special holiday on 10/15? That's National Brick Day:

http://www.answers.com/Q/When_is_national_brick_day

Pretty impressive. I'd be lying if I were to tell you that I'm not at all jealous. Regardless, I'm happy for you, man! I think I speak for most of the readers here regarding your fame. Please don't let this go to your head. We don't want you to go bye bye seeking greener pastures. You're a big part of this forum. Without you, it wouldn't be the same.

Brick,

Why the heck didn't you tell us that you have your own special holiday on 10/15? That's National Brick Day:

http://www.answers.com/Q/When_is_national_brick_day

Pretty impressive. I'd be lying if I were to tell you that I'm not at all jealous. Regardless, I'm happy for you, man! I think I speak for most of the readers here regarding your fame. Please don't let this go to your head. We don't want you to go bye bye seeking greener pastures. You're a big part of this forum. Without you, it would. be the same.

FYP ! :)

Hard to believe after 9.5 years and nearly 3 billion miles the new horizons probe is almost within "shouting distance" of pluto.  Pics have improved to the point that real features can now be resolved. Over the last few weeks pics hinted at  a rather diverse landscape but resolution was so low that it was hard to know for sure how much. Quality of pics will greatly improve over the coming days but  Latest pics continue to hint at a pretty diverse landscape...as well as a large dark spot on charon. Likewise pluto appears orange-ish as hubble indicated a while back. (last image)

It's closest approach will be on july 14th where it will be a little under 8000 miles from the surface.

close-up-pluto.jpg

charon-dark-pole.jpg

New-Horizons-Pluto.jpg

20150623_pluto_mvic_animation_barycenter

pluto-hubble-01.jpg

hmmmm...sounds like a Star trek movie I saw once. Didn't they track whale songs all the way back to earth?

Indeed!  Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

On another note, with a Star Trek connection, composer James Horner died in a plane crash yesterday (I think it was yesterday).  He composed the score for Star Trek II and III, which were the best.  He also did Titanic and Braveheart.

Hard to believe after 9.5 years and nearly 3 billion miles the new horizons probe is almost within "shouting distance" of pluto.  Pics have improved to the point that real features can now be resolved. Over the last few weeks pics hinted at  a rather diverse landscape but resolution was so low that it was hard to know for sure how much. Quality of pics will greatly improve over the coming days but  Latest pics continue to hint at a pretty diverse landscape...as well as a large dark spot on charon. Likewise pluto appears orange-ish as hubble indicated a while back. (last image)

It's closest approach will be on july 14th where it will be a little under 8000 miles from the surface.

close-up-pluto.jpg

charon-dark-pole.jpg

New-Horizons-Pluto.jpg

20150623_pluto_mvic_animation_barycenter

pluto-hubble-01.jpg

This is really cool, especially how Pluto wobbles as Charon orbits it.

Indeed!  Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

On another note, with a Star Trek connection, composer James Horner died in a plane crash yesterday (I think it was yesterday).  He composed the score for Star Trek II and III, which were the best.  He also did Titanic and Braveheart.

I didn't know he did Braveheart. One of my top ten. His music will be missed.

Lookout -- I'm also very excited about this mission. I've been waiting for this moment since New Horizons launched back in the torch of January 2006. Hard to believe it's almost game time, and I don't think Pluto nor Charon will disappoint. 

If you haven't seen this video already, I can't recommend it enough -- a beautiful tribute to New Horizons and the other first reconnaissance missions before it.

This is really cool, especially how Pluto wobbles as Charon orbits it.

I believe at one time Pluto-Charon was up for consideration ad a double or binary planet system. I do know they are tidally locked to each other. Pluto looks like it will be a very fascinating study.

I believe at one time Pluto-Charon was up for consideration ad a double or binary planet system. I do know they are tidally locked to each other. Pluto looks like it will be a very fascinating study.

I am very excited when they reach Pluto-Charon. I have always wondered what its surface really looked like.

In need of some laptop advice. I am looking to get a new laptop as my old HP bit the dust. My budget is 400 to 600 dollars. Thank you in advance!

Fwiw, I recently bought at Best Buy an HP Pavilion 15-P214DX Notebook for $579.99. If you're a games player or do other things that are heavy on the graphics, this probably won't work as RAM is only 6 GB (though you can always add) and the graphics/video memory isn't dedicated. HD is 750 GB. It has a 5th generation i7 processor. They give you 15 days to try it to be able to get a full refund.

Nice call by WxSouth (Robert) yesterday!

"WxSouth

17 hrs ·

A broken line of thunderstorms will continue pushing south through southern, middle Virginia and probably break up once entering central NC. The other , more developing line is in Tennessee, east to west and into southeast Kentucky---that line may hold together a few more hours and approach northern GA, AL and MS.
By tomorrow, leftover boundaries and other features will enhance thunderstorm chances in Miss, Alabama and Georgia to Florida Panhandle.
Then by Thursday, a strong MCC line will form in the Ohio Valley and that one has the potential to be very organized and downright dangerous. More on that as it becomes clearer."

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=ffc&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

Archived