wxdude64

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

High water marks

DCA: +9.0

BWI: +7.8

IAD: +7.7

GFS shows the warm up for the weekend, but cools it back down again. Not really showing any big heat in the long run. 

Looks like we have had the 'big heat' all month with those temps, but what do I know, I'm one of those 'strange' people that think 50's and 60's in spring is normal and comfortable. BTW, still in CO and watching the snow fall on the peaks at the moment, it has snowed everyday since I got here, hope it continues haha!

I prefer the 87 and slightly humid weather of yesterday. I just wish the oak tree sperm would stop falling already.

yesterday was a bit warm, but overall, yea i would probably go with that if i had to choose between yesterday and today as a permanent.

monday was ideal for me, almost perfect.

Nothing wrong with expecting 50s and 60s in March and early April, but not in May. Avg temps in the metro area are above 70 now. Even in your by the avg temp has to be pushing 70 if it's not already there. And I think many of us have come to expect 80s this time of year. Yesterday was really the only scorcher, imo and that came with lowering dews. 

Looks like we have had the 'big heat' all month with those temps, but what do I know, I'm one of those 'strange' people that think 50's and 60's in spring is normal and comfortable. BTW, still in CO and watching the snow fall on the peaks at the moment, it has snowed everyday since I got here, hope it continues haha!

Nothing wrong with expecting 50s and 60s in March and early April, but not in May. Avg temps in the metro area are above 70 now. Even in your by the avg temp has to be pushing 70 if it's not already there. And I think many of us have come to expect 80s this time of year. Yesterday was really the only scorcher, imo and that came with lowering dews. 

So explain the +7.7 thru +9.0 temps. Lots of folks saying how 'nice' it is, it is for June/July. Not getting into a big argument here, as I said, I like it colder, just hard to justify the 'only scorcher' statement looking at those massive + numbers. I would be enjoying -7.7 thru -9.0 temps, but I don't think I could honestly say that it was 'normal'.

People are judging the first 12 days of May as if it was summer.  Mid and upper 80s is not bad for July and Aug around here, but this is not July or Aug; it's early May.  We had a string of +10 to +15 days, about 10 of them.  That is a scorching stretch for mid-spring.

Thankfully, we got a (long-overdue) break.  Today is simply magnificent, even a little cooler than forecast.  High of 66F here, and already down to 60F.  Getting ready to go workout in the garage and with the breeze blowing in (and 1/2 cloudy sky) I opted for sweat pants instead of shorts.  First time in 10 days I go outside and don't immediately start sweating and have my clothes and pollen sticking to me.  Going to be a fantastic evening.

People are judging the first 12 days of May as if it was summer.  Mid and upper 80s is not bad for July and Aug around here, but this is not July or Aug; it's early May.  We had a string of +10 to +15 days, about 10 of them.  That is a scorching stretch for mid-spring.

Thankfully, we got a (long-overdue) break.  Today is simply magnificent, even a little cooler than forecast.  High of 66F here, and already down to 60F.  Getting ready to go workout in the garage and with the breeze blowing in (and 1/2 cloudy sky) I opted for sweat pants instead of shorts.  First time in 10 days I go outside and don't immediately start sweating and have my clothes and pollen sticking to me.  Going to be a fantastic evening.

lol, though that's how i felt in the winter when the temps were what seemed to be chillier than average for 4 months...the last 2 winters actually.  you just don't like warm weather.  fair enough.  i don't like cold weather...which to me is anything below 50-55.  

i think what makes today more chilly though is the breeze.  this isn't like 65 degrees in the winter where you have a warm breeze and it feels like the upper 70s.  it's 65 out there now and feels like 55.  

good reset day, though.  i'll give you that.

So explain the +7.7 thru +9.0 temps. Lots of folks saying how 'nice' it is, it is for June/July. Not getting into a big argument here, as I said, I like it colder, just hard to justify the 'only scorcher' statement looking at those massive + numbers. I would be enjoying -7.7 thru -9.0 temps, but I don't think I could honestly say that it was 'normal'.

I don't think anyone is saying that we've been at normal. Just the same that expecting 50s and 60s wouldn't be normal this time of year. We had a long stretch of AN temps for May. Had our most recent run of temps come in April it would prob get a different reaction. 80s in May isn't that big of a deal for a lot of us.

Am interested to see how the Month ends on a whole compared to last year. Right now, folks will most remember the 10 day stretch of 80+ (at DCA). Current Avg Hi/Lo is 82.1/62.2. May '14 ended with an avg. of 78/58.9 and mid-late month had a stretch of 7/8 days with 80+ hi temps. 

lol, though that's how i felt in the winter when the temps were what seemed to be chillier than average for 4 months...the last 2 winters actually.  you just don't like warm weather.  fair enough.  i don't like cold weather...which to me is anything below 50-55.  

i think what makes today more chilly though is the breeze.  this isn't like 65 degrees in the winter where you have a warm breeze and it feels like the upper 70s.  it's 65 out there now and feels like 55.  

good reset day, though.  i'll give you that.

Indeed, it was a bit chilly this evening with the breeze and clouds.  

I don't think anyone is saying that we've been at normal. Just the same that expecting 50s and 60s wouldn't be normal this time of year. We had a long stretch of AN temps for May. Had our most recent run of temps come in April it would prob get a different reaction. 80s in May isn't that big of a deal for a lot of us.

Am interested to see how the Month ends on a whole compared to last year. Right now, folks will most remember the 10 day stretch of 80+ (at DCA). Current Avg Hi/Lo is 82.1/62.2. May '14 ended with an avg. of 78/58.9 and mid-late month had a stretch of 7/8 days with 80+ hi temps. 

Overnight hi yesterday at DCA of 72. Only the second negative dep of the month. Today will be the third. Looks like a Sat/Sun warm up into the 80s (maybe Monday can get there) and then back to the 70s w more comfortable low temps. 

May and June sometimes have lousy month to month consistency.  IIRC, it was 2004 when Richmond had a record or near record number of 90+ days in May (in the teens) and then followed it up with only 3 90+ days in June.  Not exactly what you would expect, and does not really portend if summer will be hot or not necessarily.

Not sure where BWI will end up in temp ranking but top 15 might still be in play. I'm starting to wonder more about driest May ever. So far BWI has only has 0.02" of rain- the record is 0.37" in 1986. If we can fail out through next week it might happen. Even having less than an inch exactly will put us in top 5.

There's nothing "comfortable" about 45 degree weather in May. At least in my opinion.

It may not be 'comfortable', but it is VERY normal, my normal low for today is 46 and record low is 30, I looked up Dulles' and their normal low is 51 and record low is 32. Please stop trying to rush summer heat into the area. it will be here soon enough. :axe:

Archived