• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

NNE photogs.... I'm in the market for a new camera body. I am curious what you shoot with. I'd like to stay with Canon and I'm looking for something that excels at sports/action and low lighting/higher ISO.

From what I've read online, I'm leaning towards the Canon 7D Mark II...up to 10 fps and on a lot of photography forums seems to be the go-to choice for high action and low lighting that is under $2000 for the body.

Anyone have any opinions? It's a big financial jump to go up to the 5D. I also looked at the 70D, which takes incredible high-def video but that's not as important to me.

I’ll pass along a strong plug for the Canon EOS 7D Mark II; if you’re a Canon shooter going with APS-C format, it’s a no brainer because it’s as if it was a machine designed for ski photography.  It’s got a focusing system on par, or even improved upon the top of the line $5,000+ Canon EOS 1D-X, it’s built like a tank, the weather sealing is simply ridiculous, and then there’s the 10 fps.  As someone who does a lot of ski photography, I’d been planning/waiting for the camera for years, so I got it near the holidays not too long after it came out.  It was essentially five generations ahead of my Canon EOS 30D, so a very impressive jump in performance.  As you mentioned, the 5D (presumably the Canon EOS 5D Mark III) is another great option, and the way to go if you need full-framed depth of field and light-gathering capability, but you give up the 10 fps, new focusing system, APS-C “reach”, GPS-tagging, and all the other sports/action/outdoor-specific features of the 7D II.  All I can say is that there’s nothing like having the 10 fps and lightning-fast continuous focusing to optimize your chance of getting that desired composition of exploding snow and hidden/visible skier during powder shots. 

07FEB15D.jpg

The 7D II may not have been purposely built for ski action photography, but that’s probably just because Canon was acknowledging that there are a few other random sports that people also do out there in the elements. ;)  Joking aside, this is actually the first soccer season I’ve been able to shoot with the 7D II; it’s often paired with a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM and it’s just an action-stopping beast:

12SEP15A.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of moose, I know you guys in Maine deal with this a lot more but a driver was killed on RT 2 in Bolton, VT when their car hit a moose.

We don't get a ton of that in this area because the moose tend to avoid the BTV-MPV corridor due to highest traffic rates in VT. I used to drive that road daily, and I know JSpin probably does as well.

http://www.wcax.com/story/30202842/fatal-accident-involving-moose-in-bolton

Moose collisions appear to have decreased by about 30% in Maine in recent years (443 last year with no human fatals), compared to some 2000-04 data from Maine DOT.  During those 5 years, vehicle collisions with deer averaged 3,660 per year, with moose 680, and other large animals (not ID'ed, but likely bear, cow, horse), 165.  One in 6,100 deer-vehicle collisions resulted in a human fatality.  For moose, it was one in 240, about 25 times higher than with deer.

I’ll pass along a strong plug for the Canon EOS 7D Mark II; if you’re a Canon shooter going with APS-C format, it’s a no brainer because it’s as if it was a machine designed for ski photography. It’s got a focusing system on par, or even improved upon the top of the line $5,000+ Canon EOS 1D-X, it’s built like a tank, the weather sealing is simply ridiculous, and then there’s the 10 fps. As someone who does a lot of ski photography, I’d been planning/waiting for the camera for years, so I got it near the holidays not too long after it came out. It was essentially five generations ahead of my Canon EOS 30D, so a very impressive jump in performance. As you mentioned, the 5D (presumably the Canon EOS 5D Mark III) is another great option, and the way to go if you need full-framed depth of field and light-gathering capability, but you give up the 10 fps, new focusing system, APS-C “reach”, GPS-tagging, and all the other sports/action/outdoor-specific features of the 7D II. All I can say is that there’s nothing like having the 10 fps and lightning-fast continuous focusing to optimize your chance of getting that desired composition of exploding snow and hidden/visible skier during powder shots.

07FEB15D.jpg

The 7D II may not have been purposely built for ski action photography, but that’s probably just because Canon was acknowledging that there are a few other random sports that people also do out there in the elements. ;) Joking aside, this is actually the first soccer season I’ve been able to shoot with the 7D II; it’s often paired with a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM and it’s just an action-stopping beast:

12SEP15A.jpg

JSpin, I was already heavily leaning in that direction but you just sold me. I've been reading professional reviews for days and days, and you pretty much echoed what those have said. It seems unanimously that the 7D Mark II is Canon's premiere camera for the "prosumer" (mix of professional and consumer) sports photographer. I put myself into that category as I have some ski publications under my belt, as well as probably a third of Stowe marketing photos in recent years, but it's still mostly a hobby too.

My only limiting factor will be the glass, as I'm not ready financially to step into the L-Series lenses (most of which are another $1500-3000). But after watching YouTube videos of the comparisons between various similar models in that price range, the 10 FPS sounds like a machine gun. Other models like from Nikon that only do 3-6 FPS aren't even close. My biggest pet peeve is seeing a sick powder shot in my head only to find the camera missed it by a fraction of a second because it's only doing 3 FPS. The shot is still great but you know in your head that just a fraction of a second earlier was when the skier was in full faceshot mode.

I've been using a higher end model of the Canon Rebel line, and the images are good, but for the past year or so I've found I've gotten to the end of the spectrum in terms of what I can do with it. It's more than time to step up another level, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the 7D Mark II can do.

Moose collisions appear to have decreased by about 30% in Maine in recent years (443 last year with no human fatals), compared to some 2000-04 data from Maine DOT.  During those 5 years, vehicle collisions with deer averaged 3,660 per year, with moose 680, and other large animals (not ID'ed, but likely bear, cow, horse), 165.  One in 6,100 deer-vehicle collisions resulted in a human fatality.  For moose, it was one in 240, about 25 times higher than with deer.

wow, more than i thought.

MPV is raining in the upper 30s this morning, that's a sure sign of fall right there.

Moderate rain at 38F would usually be a sign of elevation snow, but alas it's 40F at 4,000ft.

I was wondering about that. Didn't think about the temp much as I was bringing the cat to the vet until I looked at the car thermo while in traffic. Noticed it was 39F with moderate rain and immediately started wondering if there was any frozen higher up.

My niece hit this 900lb bull moose in Rangeley monday, A few lacerations but otherwise escaped with minor injury's

12072704_10156207126995128_7589459499005

12118753_10153186501199157_4250884621871

The damage suggests she swerved left just before impact, and while that didn't avoid the collision it did keep the moose from crushing down the roof.  Very glad that no one (other than the moose) was seriously injured.

From BTV:

BLENDED OUTPUT SUGGESTS SEVERAL WEAK
SHORTWAVE/TROUGH PASSAGES WILL OCCUR AS THIS FEATURE EVOLVES WITH
NOMINAL 20-40% POPS CONTINUING ON AND OFF THROUGH THE WEDNESDAY-
FRIDAY PERIOD. HIGHEST COVERAGE MOST LIKELY ACROSS THE NORTHERN
MOUNTAINS WHERE THE SEASON`S FIRST LIGHT SNOWFALL MAY OCCUR BY
FRIDAY NIGHT AT THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

:)

Been sitting at 4,000ft for a couple hours now, on duty to make sure the Columbus Day weekend crowds don't get in trouble up here.

No one is prepared for the conditions...a twisted ankle would be bad in this cold. 27F and wind chill of 11F. Freezing fog and ice on everything. People in windbreakers or even just long sleeve shirts are quite cold...not lingering long up here. No one has hats or gloves, haha.

I've been using a higher end model of the Canon Rebel line, and the images are good, but for the past year or so I've found I've gotten to the end of the spectrum in terms of what I can do with it. It's more than time to step up another level, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the 7D Mark II can do.

Yeah, the Rebels are great cameras, but if equipment limitations start to become apparent in your photography, it’s a great time to invest in something that will bring possibilities to that next level.  And boy will the Canon EOS 7D Mark II do that when it comes to action photography.  In terms of sophistication and adaptability, there’s a 50-page manual for the autofocus system alone.  I’m still just scratching the surface of what the camera can do.  Folks will tell you that it’s all about the photographer, not the equipment, but when it comes to certain types of photography (action, astro, etc.), equipment plays a much bigger role.  You’re going to have a much harder time capturing that fraction of a second where a combination of skier and powder explosion is perfect, if your camera can’t shoot or focus fast enough, or image sufficiently with the potentially low amount of ambient light you’ve got to work with during dark days in what is already the darkest time of year.

My only limiting factor will be the glass, as I'm not ready financially to step into the L-Series lenses (most of which are another $1500-3000).

People will often give the advice of upgrading your glass before your body, but again, that’s where things differ somewhat in action photography – the capabilities in the body are so critical that getting great glass often isn’t the limiting factor in advancing your gear.  Based on the Exif information in your photos and what I recall, you generally shoot with a Canon EOS Rebel XS and presumably a version of the kit Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens?  You may have other lenses you use as well, but the beauty is that everything that works on your current Canon would work on the Canon EOS 7D Mark II.  Just hit the photography forums and see the possibilities, recommendations, and settings that people report with respect to using your available lenses for action photography.  Canon’s L-Series lenses are pricy, but they’re weather sealed to match up with the pro bodies, and that’s a perfect match for aggressive use out in the elements.  I’d say just plan on saving up for a lens like you’ve presumably done for a camera, and use what you’ve got (and borrow lenses from friends and colleagues who are cool with it) until the time is right.  If for some reason you don’t currently have a lens that’s fast enough in terms of focusing to make full use of the speed of the 7D II, see what the forums tell you and you can probably find a speedy prime lens that will do the trick for a very reasonable price.  As you think about lenses, take a look at your portfolio and find out what apertures you typically use – you’ll obviously want to start with something that suits you most typical compositions.

Archived