• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Eek and Dendrite: some big time erosion at the lake along the beaches. I haven't seen canyons in the sand like this since Irene. Must have been a hell of a rainstorm.

They really were pretty much at Irene rainfall levels, or comparable to my region for Irene-like totals in a 24 hour period or less.  This area had generally 5-7" of rainfall during Irene, most in a 12-18 hour period.  Dendrite/Eek/Dryslot had a very impressive rain event.  You've gotta respect when that amount of rain falls in under a day. 

For Eek and Dendrite: some big time erosion at the lake along the beaches. I haven't seen canyons in the sand like this since Irene. Must have been a hell of a rainstorm.

Been quite a while since we had that much rain fall that fast.  It's probably my stations greatest 24 hour total but I'm too lazy to look through the data.

Been quite a while since we had that much rain fall that fast.  It's probably my stations greatest 24 hour total but I'm too lazy to look through the data.

PWM just missed the top 5 24 hour rainfall total in town (6th all time), right behind the big flash flood from August 2013. Again of note because the top 4 totals are all tropical systems.

Been sitting at 4,000ft for a couple hours now, on duty to make sure the Columbus Day weekend crowds don't get in trouble up here.

No one is prepared for the conditions...a twisted ankle would be bad in this cold. 27F and wind chill of 11F. Freezing fog and ice on everything. People in windbreakers or even just long sleeve shirts are quite cold...not lingering long up here. No one has hats or gloves, haha.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's too bad. BTV does some real nice stuff with forecasts for the individual peaks too.

That's too bad. BTV does some real nice stuff with forecasts for the individual peaks too.

This is not the crowd to check the NOAA forecast before venturing out. Those are the locals that do that, haha. Most people said, "It was near 50F degrees in the valley so we didn't think about it." "Well unlucky for you, thermodynamics works without fail up here. You are almost 3,500ft higher than town and it's now 32F and windy."

This is not the crowd to check the NOAA forecast before venturing out. Those are the locals that do that, haha. Most people said, "It was near 50F degrees in the valley so we didn't think about it." "Well unlucky for you, thermodynamics works without fail up here. You are almost 3,500ft higher than town and it's now 32F and windy."

This isn't Tolland, CT.

I'd like to be there--enough of this balmy SNE crap.

This isn't Tolland, CT.

LOL

Beautiful day yesterday3cc620416c53dcb15a91330366e11646.jpg

Frontenac?  Great place to stay.

Small piles of graupel on LT on Mt. Abe north side by the plane crash yesterday around 3pm- was below freezing all day up there I'd guess. Probably happened as the rain pulled out/winds clocked around Friday night as the cold air above brought some convection. Count that as the first flakes of the season.

Anything to report on Mansfield/elsewhere up high?   

Otherwise, foliage looked to be at peak- with some really nice pockets throughout the MRV. It really seem to have popped from yesterday to today.  Some places are muted, others are quite good quality- Lincoln Gap to App Gap 800-1500ft seems best, especially around the MRG base (as always- something about the MRG base area always produces good color).

Small piles of graupel on LT on Mt. Abe north side by the plane crash yesterday around 3pm- was below freezing all day up there I'd guess. Probably happened as the rain pulled out/winds clocked around Friday night as the cold air above brought some convection. Count that as the first flakes of the season.

Otherwise, foliage looked to be at peak- with some really nice pockets throughout the MRV. It really seem to have popped from yesterday to today.  Some places are muted, others are quite good quality- Lincoln Gap to App Gap 800-1500ft seems best, especially around the MRG base (as always- something about the MRG base area always produces good color).

Thank you for the report from Lincoln Gap! That seems a lot better than when I was there. I would say the Waterbury Reservoir is great right now also:

12113319_10102917657692509_8310701200119

12140876_10102916476389849_2312258561416

Otherwise, foliage looked to be at peak- with some really nice pockets throughout the MRV. It really seem to have popped from yesterday to today. Some places are muted, others are quite good quality- Lincoln Gap to App Gap 800-1500ft seems best, especially around the MRG base (as always- something about the MRG base area always produces good color).

No snow on Mansfield and no evidence of a graupel shower though I guess it's not out of the realm of possibilities. Just a rime event.

Over here the best foliage by far is in that 1000-2000ft elevation band, and Stowe's base area at 1,500ft is probably the best color around. Just like you said at MRG, that mid-elevation of 1500ft must have the best mix of species and environmental factors that lead to vibrant color.

I’m starting to get this feeling that some of the BTV NWS crew are excited about the upcoming prospects for snow.

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

AS OF 330 AM EDT TUESDAY...WELL ADVERTISED PATTERN CHANGE WILL OCCUR BY THE END OF THE WEEK WITH THE COLDEST AIRMASS OF THE SEASON OCCURRING THIS WEEKEND. GFS ENSEMBLE DATA SHOWS 2 TO 3 STD BELOW NORMAL HEIGHTS ASSOCIATED WITH MID/UPPER TROF ACROSS THE NE CONUS...ALONG WITH PROGGED 850MB TEMPS AROUND 3 STD BELOW NORMAL BY SATURDAY. SOME OF US HERE AT THE OFFICE ARE PRETTY EXCITED ABOUT THE UPCOMING PATTERN CHANGE AND THE POTENTIAL FOR MOUNTAIN SNOW SHOWERS.

We made homegrown apple sauce last night with apples from our old apple tree out back.  I am always amazed how many apples are never used in this area.  There are so many trees in the area that seem untended and the apples just fall, never to be touched.  On any back road there seems to be an apple tree overhanging the road dropping fruit.There are so many around here that the deer don't even seem to bother with them. Apple sauce is so easy to make and so tasty I am shocked the apples go unused.  Oh well

From BTV this afternoon:

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL VARY GREATLY DEPENDING UPON
ELEVATION...BUT THINKING BY SUNDAY MORNING SUMMITS OF THE GREENS
FROM SUGARBUSH TO MANSFIELD TO JAY PEAK WILL SEE AROUND 6 INCHES
ALONG WITH THE UPSLOPE AREAS OF THE NORTHERN DACKS ABOVE 3500
FEET. MEANWHILE...2 TO 4 INCHES IS LIKELY IN THE MIDSLOPE AREAS
AND A DUSTING TO 2 INCHES ABOVE 1000 FEET BY SUNDAY MORNING IN THE
FAVORABLE UPSLOPE REGIONS. LITTLE ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED IN THE
VALLEYS AT THIS TIME.

Archived