SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine you won't sink too deep into that March snowpack no matter how hard you try.

If it's 7 feet of fresh snow, without snowshoes I don't think you'd make it far before realizing that fear.

Yeah you are fine unless you find a trap-door tree well. I have seen people go pretty far down, almost to the ground this time of year with the 6-9 foot snowpacks we build. The problem is the smaller evergreens (like 5 feet tall) get buried but trap lots of dead space around them. So you can be walking on the snowpack or even skiing, and if you find the wrong spot, it just gives way and you end up crashing feet first straight down through a small tree that you didn't even know existed. It can be a little unnerving at times when you are on skis and can feel the empty space under you with your ski pole.

But otherwise, the 7-foot snowpack is pretty solid and just walking around you'll only go down to your knees or so. Back at the beginning of the month though before any warm-up, when it was just 7-feet of mostly powder, I was falling in up to my armpits at times trying to do snow-water surveys. It can get almost like claustrophobic when you are in deep and you still can't feel firm ground under you. If not used to it, easy to see how some panic in deep snow.

I would say a yard avg of 16." Lowest 10".Highest 31" and that's not a pile shoveled. But I'd say an avg of 16 or so. Backyard is closer to 20. Neighbor is still 2' or so. Definitely becoming more variable in southern exposed areas vs wooded or north sides of yards.

Crazy... I've got 16" here though it's widely variable, some bare spots on steep south-facing slopes and under thick canopy. I bet the north-side lawn still has 24" but I'm not wading out there to find out. There's a yard just down the street which is heavily shaded by steep terrain right behind it, and their pack is easily 30" deep haha. But for the most part I think it's between 12-18" at this elevation. Depth at 1550ft plot is 31".

Crazy... I've got 16" here though it's widely variable, some bare spots on steep south-facing slopes and under thick canopy. I bet the north-side lawn still has 24" but I'm not wading out there to find out. There's a yard just down the street which is heavily shaded by steep terrain right behind it, and their pack is easily 30" deep haha. But for the most part I think it's between 12-18" at this elevation. Depth at 1550ft plot is 31".

Yeah it's pretty awesome. I mean I'm over on keeping snow like I would be in January, but this is nuts for you area on the 21st. They are ice fishing on cape cod still.

I would say a yard avg of 16." Lowest 10".Highest 31" and that's not a pile shoveled. But I'd say an avg of 16 or so. Backyard is closer to 20. Neighbor is still 2' or so. Definitely becoming more variable in southern exposed areas vs wooded or north sides of yards.

It'll be interesting to see how the melt down continues.  I have an average of 13" in my yard but in the woods it's still over 2' in shaded spots.  It was nice tapping today being able to walk on the snow.  Pretty solid stuff and I'm a big guy (let's just say north of 300lbs lol).  It made things a lot easier compared to last weekend on the snow shoes.

I would say an average of 12 weenies in your mouth.

Back at my home in Central NH.  Packed up 3 1/2 weeks ago and rented a condo on the Gulf coast.  The cold and snow was relenting this winter and I love winter weather but just had enough.  So we drove to the Florida Gulf and had a great 3 weeks of upper 60's to upper 70's.  The 1500 mile drive back north the past 3 days was really interesting as far as the weather changes and the foliage changes as we headed north.

Left the Gulf on Wednesday AM and headed north into Alabama.  Spring is in full force in Southern and Central Alabama.  Deciduous trees all had small to medium leaves and the fruit trees are in full blossom.  Temps were in the 70's to just west of Atlanta when they dropped 25F very quickly as we went into an east wind and rain with the developing storm that moved up the coast just ahead of us.  Fruit trees in Atlanta are all in bloom and the grass is green.  Deciduous trees are budding with some small leaves.  Spent the rainy night in Charlotte NC.  Yesterday we awoke to cloudy conditions and temps in the 40's.  As we moved north we caught up to the storm again and hit rain in VA.  Fruit trees and forsythia are in bloom in NC almost up to the Virginia line.  North of Virginia everything was mid winter bare.  Got to Baltimore at 3pm yesterday and watched the car thermometer go down hour by hour.  Hit the first snow traces on the ground around Washington DC.  Maybe a slushy inch.  Amazingly my brother who lives there said the kids had a snow day.  Can't believe that. Anyhow hit catpaws on the car windows at Wilmington Delaware.  As soon as we hit NJ it turned to a good moderate snow.  As we moved north on the NJ turnpike road conditions got worse and worse.  It was 33/34F but coming down hard enough to cover the road. People say warm ground temps and March sun make snow very hard to stick but it seemed to have no trouble.  By Mid Jersey we were going 25mph so stopped for the night.  This AM got up to 6" of extremely beautiful snow cover.  Every tree was caked in snow under mostly sunny skies.  Headed north towards NYC and again caught up to the storm in SW Connecticut.  We had to stop in Southern RI to pick up our cats and by midday the snow had stopped.  Southern RI had almost no winter snow left, just the 1" or so from early this AM.  Left Bristol RI at 2pm and drove north through Boston. Amazing to see the snowcover build up in the South suburbs of Boston.  Some grass in the southern slopes but deep pack in shade and huge piles that are going to take many weeks to melt.  Less snow on the ground as we got into NH with lots of grassy spots in Manchester area.  Driving up to Central NH the snowcover starts increasing and by the time we pulled into our driveway at 5:30pm it was snowing again with the arrival of the arctic front. 

Interesting trip back!  Not looking forward to the bitter cold the next couple of days but spring is only 500 miles south of New England!

Thanks for reading!   Gene

Gene, thanks...enjoyed that.

Hingham down to 8. Scituate and hull are about the same. In scituate the yard has some bare spots but half my moms driveway is still a 3 foot glacier (major drifting from storms and even wind after storms).

She got rid of the snow blower i had convinced her to buy 5 years ago for "space" in the garage. I know she was kicking herself over it everyday after jan 25.

Archived