Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Spring

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of note today - below are the current day 1 and day 3 excessive rainfall outlook maps.  Day 1 includes the southernmost portion of our group while day 3 includes most of us. 

94ewbg.gif?1435235227457

99ewbg.gif?1435235337246

8am Thursday to 8am Sunday QPF is just a little wet...

d13_fill.gif?1435236156708

If I pick up another 3" tomorrow that will give me a 1-week total from last Saturday through this Saturday of 6.65"! 

Bill delivered 2.28" here last Saturday afternoon and evening.  It was like a hurricane around here between 8:30 - 9:00pm with torrential rain and high winds.  That was from a severe T-storm. 

Then, as some mentioned, we really got nailed here with another severe storm Tuesday afternoon around 3:45pm.  Picked up 1.37" in about 1 hour.  Peak wind gust of 35mph...not bad.  It kept slowly building with progressively higher gusts.  Multiple episodes of pea size hail with a few marbles mixed in.  Super-dark during the event.  Worst of the damage was about one mile south of me in the center of Carlisle where numerous tree limbs and some trees were downed.  A whole block on Walnut Bottom Rd was flooded with at least 2 feet of water and an abandoned car (presumed water rescue?) sitting in the middle of the water.  This storm was quite exciting as severe storms go.  We've been under so many severe thunderstorm warnings this season I've lost count.  I think Cumberland county has been under a tornado warning twice now this season. 

At one point, one of the warnings out from CTP had a severe storm traveling at an incredible 75 mph.  I don't think I've ever seen a report of a storm traveling that fast.

Lastly, for the month of June I'm currently looking at 8.03".  Looks like it's a lock for 10" and maybe even 11" for this month, which would be the first 10"+ month I've recorded locally since either May/June/or July of 2010...so five years.  10+ doesn't happen too often around these parts, so you gotta love the extremes of this month.

CTP's disco mentions tomorrow's storm doing a Miller-B transfer to the Jersey coast.  This whole trough set-up is like November, not June.  Yay late fall weather!!! :snowing:

I just took a look at the radar for the area. It looks like it's going to be an all day soaker here...

:raining:

yea, not looking good, as I'm keeping track of things for the 6-county fireman's meeting/convention in my home town of Honey Pot today. the rain is definitely not helping there, but I am worried about the continued trends of potentially some heavier rain bands late this afternoon into this evening. not sure about the thunderstorm risk though that spc is putting out, with marginal risk all the way to US 6 (looks like to me wet microbursts if anything), and slight risk for severe from youngstown to philly more likely some potential for supercells closer to the warm front itself. definitely something to keep an eye on.

The disparity between my house in MD and Millersville is staggering right now.

Millersville at 6.08" MTD

My home in Carney, MD just north of Baltimore is at 15.21" :blink:

Even the disparity between what is be measured at the university (8.21" MTD) and you is more surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.25" for the event here in Tamaqua. The most notable aspect of yesterday's event, for me though, was the cold temperatures. It got down to 53 here late in the afternoon when we should have been hitting our daily high. That to me was pretty incredible for late June standards.

Archived