joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/5/2015 Ice/Snow Event

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still not a big deal yet. Keep the trends going tomorrow and they'll cave.

baby steps is the key, small changes are more believable than big ones especially in this range, it wouldnt take to many more south shifts to get back to what the models had for us over the weekend.....anything more than a dusting is bonus at this point anyways....

That has got to be one of the strongest fronts i've ever seen. I don't think i've ever seen such a sharp gradient in temps from 925mb to the surface. Literally in the span of a few miles there is a 10 degree drop in temps. When it goes through ga temps at 950mb go from around  14c in athens to -2c in atlanta. and look at the gradient in surface temps across the carolinas...it goes from low 80s to 40s in the the blink of an eye.

post-12-0-11878200-1425442178_thumb.gif

post-12-0-77441400-1425442191_thumb.gif

Well, sounds like the cold and precip have been moving further and further south every run on the models today. Local TV mets still saying RDU will only get rain as the cold will come too late after the precip is out.

Fishel just stated the ensembles are hinting at some frozen precip late Thursday, lingering into Friday.

I wouldn't surprised to see this trend a little colder at the sfc given the HP setup. The CAD front on this one means business. Not necessarily aloft, however, given the setup. 

Thats the main thing that will hurt us is the profile sucks for anything other than ZR/sleet, we need the cold to be faster and get deeper quicker to really cash in on anything at all....runs look better everytime though so we shall see.

Please Share! We know its hard to believe after temperatures well into the 70s today, but freezing rain and sleet is expected across E NC Thursday night and possibly through Friday as well! See attached.

11052442_816321918405788_556256889231264

I wouldnt mind sleet so much but the ZR will suck, the trees and vehicles will ice up nice but the ground and roads will stay wet unless we can mix quite a bit of sleet into it, and even then temps in teh mid 20's might not be enough to do it. Really hope we can keep the QPF around long enough to get a period of snow.....

I did read RAH's discussion and they were more focused on the freezing rain (~.1" or so). But they did add more sleet to my particular grid forecast.

• Thursday Rain or freezing rain before 4pm, then freezing rain between 4pm and 5pm, then freezing rain and sleet likely after 5pm. Temperature falling to around 29 by 5pm. North wind 9 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
  • Thursday Night Freezing rain and sleet likely before 9pm, then a slight chance of freezing rain between 9pm and 11pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 17. Northeast wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
  •  

Thanks. Not bad. I was hoping Brick would post the snow map he was looking at somewhere else, so we could compare the trends. Anyway, that looks like a decent little round of sleet.

The Feb 16th sleet fest was about 0.59" QPF of sleet, NAM is spitting out .36", GFS 0z spit out 0.4" and 6z spit out about .3" with freezing rain.  UK generally agrees with the amounts of NAM/GFS, just not sure whether it's sleet/frzn.  Euro is more freezing rain than sleet.  RGEM is 99% rain, hopefully that changes at 12z today.

The Feb 16th sleet fest was about 0.59" QPF of sleet, NAM is spitting out .36", GFS 0z spit out 0.4" and 6z spit out about .3" with freezing rain. UK generally agrees with the amounts of NAM/GFS, just not sure whether it's sleet/frzn. Euro is more freezing rain than sleet. RGEM is 99% rain, hopefully that changes at 12z today.

Thanks you sir. Looks like we have a pretty good handle on what we're looking at now.

Thanks you sir. Looks like we have a pretty good handle on what we're looking at now.

Yeah, best case, assuming we want a ice event...0.25" of IP with a 0.1" of freezing rain.  If by some miracle that last wave that develops and overperforms but doubt that.  Or I guess if the cold gets in a little quicker.  If I was a betting man I would bet 0.1-0.15" of IP with 0.1-0.15" of freezing rain.  Slick spots tomorrow night regardless.  I do hope school isn't cancelled!

It will be fun to watch the models come in.  And to watch the MA to NE model hug the snowiest model.  For as much snow as they get they sure do weenie out and justify the snowiest model all the time.  We atleast hug the least snowy model.

Yeah, best case, assuming we want a ice event...0.25" of IP with a 0.1" of freezing rain.  If by some miracle that last wave that develops and overperforms but doubt that.  Or I guess if the cold gets in a little quicker.  If I was a betting man I would bet 0.1-0.15" of IP with 0.1-0.15" of freezing rain.  Slick spots tomorrow night regardless.  I do hope school isn't cancelled!

It will be fun to watch the models come in.  And to watch the MA to NE model hug the snowiest model.  For as much snow as they get they sure do weenie out and justify the snowiest model all the time.  We atleast hug the least snowy model.

Haha that's true. I think your expectations are pretty good. I was going to say .2 frozen (IP/ZR) at the upper end. Unless we see something significantly different develop over the next 24 hrs, that's my call for Raleigh for the upper limit of what we'll see. Lower limit is, well, all rain. And I can almost guarantee you that school will at least be delayed.

Archived