joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/5/2015 Ice/Snow Event

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looking at the surface wind speeds and direction, the line stretches through south central NC. Even as far west as GSO and Winston-Salem the wind out of the north east now. The 1010 slp has formed in the southwest NC upstate SC region as shown by the models. It should now slowly drop further south southwest and eventually east.

I'm seeing a bit of redevelopment in Louisiana that might translate into enough moisture while cold air is in place for central NC tonight. Probably some sleet. But we will see if the backdoor front can make more progress and maybe the slp trend stronger. 

pmsl.gif?1425563865260

According to the 12Z NAM the surface freezing line will be at the VA border at 7pm tonight.

That would greatly reduce the amount of freezing precip. Usually the NAM is pretty good with cold air movements in these types of situations. (but) RAH thinks the freezing line will be entering the Triangle around 5 pm or so. That's two hours early and 50 miles farther south.  

That would greatly reduce the amount of freezing precip. Usually the NAM is pretty good with cold air movements in these types of situations. (but) RAH thinks the freezing line will be entering the Triangle around 5 pm or so. That's two hours early and 50 miles farther south.  

Going to be interesting to see how much progress the cold air makes......it is down into 30's just across NC/Va border, EMV down to 37

Just FYI the NAM was way too warm in the DC area, especially with the warm nose above 850mb.

I don't see much evidence of that unless the 0z run was noticeably warmer or something. . Comparing the actual observed 12z soundings vs the 06z nam 6 hour soundings an LWX, they look very very similar.

It is 67 here at the office, and 12 miles away at home it is 52.

It's been fun watching the progress of this front overnight/this morning. This front is a rare breed.  i've seen similar temp gradients with wedge fronts before  but even there i don't think i can ever recall seeing such a sharp drop off in temps from the surface to 925mb. In fact even with those wedge fronts, most of the time they had become essentially stationary or only moving very slowly..unlike this one where there is a fast advancement of the colder air. 

Even though that temp gradient  is extreme enough, over a degree or 1.5  per mile,  later today it will be even more extreme  with daytime heating..with a 30 degree temp difference over just a few miles. Maybe as high as 3 degrees per mile which is nuts. Nam has temps reaching the low 80s in southern sc...3 hours later it's in the mid to upper 40s. .Just do not see those types of temp drops with fronts very often.

Keep us updated when the front moves through. I've seen 5 degree temp drops in about 15  minutes earlier this morning in west ga but i think you will probably beat that.

The temp continues to drop in both places, but still staying about 20 degrees apart for now. Just crazy that it is only 12 miles away from each other.

Archived