joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/5/2015 Ice/Snow Event

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I said on page 3 that this will be mostly rain, maybe a bit of ZR/IP but nothing exciting? Guys why is this thread 8 pages now? I love the optomism though! This winter needs to die though...hope this is the last "meh" event we have.

Not sure if it means anything, but according to the Central US subgroup Dallas wasn't expecting to get much of anything frozen during earlier hi-res runs today and now they're getting heavy sleet and freezing rain.  Temp 29.  A huge slug of moisture is rolling through right now, which was expected to go mostly south of town.

it's amazing how the GFS keeps giving the triangle some good frozen but almost blanks the triad region. Nam doesn't agree however. Not that I expect much but a little surprise would be nice.

It's not amazing.  It's totally to be expected in this scenario of the backdoor cold front.  The further west that you are, closer to the lee of the Apps, the slower your temps will be to fall this evening.  Thus, Raleigh approaches freezing at the surface before the Triad and much before the Hickory area.  Thus, we get very little, if any, frozen precipitation types.

I know it's the GFS, but 6z , has a ton of wintry for the NC peeps! Basically in the favored damming areas, but heavy snow/ice from atleast midnight through 6 am!! Y'all may score decent with this!

I'm not seeing that on the model, Mack.  I think the heaviest wintry precip is still in the Raleigh area.

qdwW0KK.png

qjPAqgN.png

Sorry, I will wait on Bricks re analysis, but somebody in N NC, or NNE NC , is going to be in for a shocker ! And I don't mean the fun kind! :)

I think the confusion was that the damming areas are typically RDU and points west. NE NC definitely has the best chance for a more substantial event.

Here in SEVa they are playing down the threat yet folks here are taking about NE NC (essentially the same area) as possibly getting a surprise. Should be interesting afternoon.

If by surprise you mean sleet, then yes.

All the models I have looked at this morning, don't have the cold upstairs to support snow for more than an hour or 2 before the precip winds down.

I believe that we are going to have some issues with icing on the trees and power lines (already stressed from previous winter weather).  IMO, hazardous road conditions this evening and Friday morning from Asheboro to Apex and points north and east.  Models may be under performing this event...I guess we will see soon.

Archived