joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/5/2015 Ice/Snow Event

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a better map of what the GFS did at 6z. 

Heaviest precip comes in between 4-7pm and switch from sleet to snow also occurs during this same period. So cut these numbers in half to get a more realistic snowfall depiction. 

post-2122-0-38887400-1425481712_thumb.pn

Here's a better map of what the GFS did at 6z. 

Heaviest precip comes in between 4-7pm and switch from sleet to snow also occurs during this same period. So cut these numbers in half to get a more realistic snowfall depiction. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-03-04 at 9.56.54 AM.png

I would be surprised if we get more than 2''. Im waiting to see the next GFS run come up.  The thing that worries me is the local mets down playing the ice/snow threat..

It does seem to be at odds with the other models. Nam ticked up with frozen. I still think around .2 looks pretty good for a IP/ZR mix.

The RGEM did tick south but our temps didn't respond.  It's still 24+ hours out so maybe tonight it drops a few degrees.  

So here are the temps, RGEM is by far the warmest but is the most amped/wet.  Will see.

Thursday 18z:

RGEM - 42F

NAM - 37F

GFS -  35F

Euro - 35F

Thursday 21z:

RGEM - 37F

NAM - 33F

GFS - 29F

Euro - (not sure but at 0z Fri it's 30F)

This is a marginal event.  There are too many factors that need to come together to produce measurable winter precip.   The far more likely scenario is rain, with a tiny amount of ice.  With a low of 19 it will freeze, but I don't expect the event to at all significant otherwise.

This is a marginal event.  There are too many factors that need to come together to produce measurable winter precip.   The far more likely scenario is rain, with a tiny amount of ice.  With a low of 19 it will freeze, but I don't expect the event to at all significant otherwise.

Still may be some issues with road conditions on Friday morning.  Some schools may run on a delay in central NC.  Moving targets are hard to hit, would like to see some of the runs tonight.  

From Alan:

B_Q8q2kU8AA-q5h.jpg

I'm just outside the "F", but clearly in the "U"

I'm looking forward to spring and the time change this weekend will let me enjoy my yard work when I get home and have an extra hour or two , to do so! Glad this dumpster fire winter was over! My projection of 12" was way off! I ended up with 2 traces of snow, and about 2 inches of sleet! Since traces = 0, and if they don't count sleet as snow, then I had 0% of avg, if they count sleet, then I'm at 25% of climo! :( Truly a sad winter in general, but after the blockbuster forecasts, it hurts even more!

Archived