joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/5/2015 Ice/Snow Event

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think this had the potential to cause a mess tomorrow if it starts in the afternoon here. You know as soon as it starts folks are going to leave work at the same time and the roads are going to be a wreck.

The roads will likely not be a mess during the evening commute.

I am talking about everyone panicking when it starts and leaving at the same time. Traffic is going to be awful for anyone who waits to leave when it starts no matter how bad it is or not.

I don't get you. The roads shouldn't be icy. If everybody leaves at the same time (big if), how will that be any different than any other rush hour on a rainy day?

I don't get you. The roads shouldn't be icy. If everybody leaves at the same time (big if), how will that be any different than any other rush hour on a rainy day?

Because people don't leave at the same time every day. Usually between 4 and 5. If this starts in the afternoon, more people will be jamming the roads at the same time than normal, no matter how bad the actual ice is. Better to be safe and keep up with when it is close by and leave before everyone else does.

Because people don't leave at the same time every day. Usually between 4 and 5. If this starts in the afternoon, more people will be jamming the roads at the same time than normal, no matter how bad the actual ice is. Better to be safe and keep up with when it is close by and leave before everyone else does.

Ok, I get what you're saying now. I still don't see it being a big deal. If we get heavy sleet that catches everyone off guard, then maybe.

Ok, I get what you're saying now. I still don't see it being a big deal. If we get heavy sleet that catches everyone off guard, then maybe.

My thing is it doesn't matter if the roads are icy or not. Most people don't follow these things like we do. They will panic as soon as it starts, and traffic is going to be awful no matter if the roads are icy or not.

I will be caught off guard , if y'all get sleet! I'm looking out for you! People never leave work at the same time, there is no rush hour, ever! :)

Brick thinks everyone is going to hit the road simultaneously, creating gridlock. I don't think that's likely, but we'll see. We're definitely going to get sleet, so don't you get caught off guard!

Brick thinks everyone is going to hit the road simultaneously, creating gridlock. I don't think that's likely, but we'll see. We're definitely going to get sleet, so don't you get caught off guard!

I do because that is what happens here. People panic as soon as it starts and jam the roads. People already drive like idiots when it rains. I wouldn't want to be around them when they are panicking to get home because there is sleet and freezing rain.

I do because that is what happens here. People panic as soon as it starts and jam the roads. People already drive like idiots when it rains. I wouldn't want to be around them when they are panicking to get home because there is sleet and freezing rain.

In RDU, it looks like this would either be rain or freezing rain during the evening commute depending on surface temperatures, with sleet mixing in a little bit later. Most regular folks don't get too alarmed with rain. They may not even know it's freezing rain until someone notices their car is iced up when they leave work.

If it starts sleeting, you may get more of this panic you're referencing.

I totally get what you're saying Brick, but the chances are extremely low for a road jamming panic event.

Archived