Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
3/5/2015 Ice/Snow Event

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 15Z SREF RDU still shows a changeover to a mix around rush hour....

If you take out the outliers with the higher temps, then it would be even sooner than that..  Gonna have to watch it for sure...  Yeah it is warmer, but it was really cold before that.  One day of warm temps won't do a whole lot..

The 15Z SREF RDU still shows a changeover to a mix around rush hour....

If you take out the outliers with the higher temps, then it would be even sooner than that..  Gonna have to watch it for sure...  Yeah it is warmer, but it was really cold before that.  One day of warm temps won't do a whole lot..

I agree, I don't think the ground temps are going to jump too much.  Looks like a mess for travel Thursday evening into Friday.

Edit:  Soil temperatures.  Soil temp. map most recent update reported central NC 40 to 50 deg.  I predict that's not with our warm up this afternoon.

RAH afternoon discussion keeps me interested:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT/...
AS OF 305 PM WEDNESDAY...

MODELS ARE IN RELATIVELY GOOD AGREEMENT IN THE TIMING OF SFC COLD
FRONT WITH AN INITIAL WEAK WAVE OF LOW PRESSURE INTO THE AREA
BETWEEN 06Z-12Z. SOUTHWESTERLY LOW TO MID LEVEL FLOW..BEHIND THE
COLD FRONT BISECTING THE AREA AT 12Z WILL SUPPORT ANA-FRONTAL PRECIP
BAND ON THE COOL SIDE OF THE BOUNDARY...ALONG A LINE FROM ALBEMARLE
TO SANFORD TO WILSON...MAKING FOR A MESSY MORNING COMMUTE FOR THE
TRIAD AND TRIANGLE. EXPECT QUITE A SHARP NORTH-SOUTH CONTRAST IN
TEMPERATURES...RANGING FROM LOWER 40S TO LOWER 60S.

THURSDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHT:

THE GFS AND NAM HAVE COME INTO BETTER WITH THE TIMING OF THE COLD
AIR SURGING SOUTH INTO THE AREA...WITH THE GFS TRENDING TOWARDS THE
SLOWER/LESS AGGRESSIVE NAM.

P-TYPE: LOW-LEVEL COLD AIR SURGING SOUTHWARD OUT OF VIRGINIA WILL
INITIALLY SUPPORT A CHANGEOVER FROM RAIN TO A FREEZING RAIN/SLEET
MIX AS MID-LEVEL COOLING(STRONG WARM NOSE)LAGS BEHIND. THEN AS THE
MID-LEVEL COOLS AND A SUBSTANTIAL/DEEP LOW-LEVEL COLD NOSE DEVELOPS
(-6C)...PRECIP COULD END AS MOSTLY SLEET WITH MODELS INDICATING A
.10 TO .20 INCHES OF LIQUID EQUIVALENT CENTERED OVER THE CENTRAL
PIEDMONT-NORTHERN AND CENTRAL COASTAL PLAIN BETWEEN 05/00Z AND
05/06Z. ICE AMOUNTS ARE ALWAYS DIFFICULT TO ASCERTAIN ANYTIME THERE
IS A LONG DURATION IN THE MIXED SLEET/FREEZING RAIN REGIONS OF THE
NOMOGRAM. ULTIMATELY THE PREDOMINATE P-TYPE IN THIS EVENT COULD
LARGELY BE DETERMINED BY PRECIP RATES...WITH MORE SLEET IN THE
HEAVIER PRECIP BANDS PROMOTING ENHANCED COOLING ALOFT. COULD SEE AS
MUCH AS 0.10 TO 0.15 OF AN INCH OF FREEZING RAIN ALONG AND NORTH OF
HIGHWAY 64 IS POSSIBLE...WITH SLEET AMOUNTS OF AROUND 0.50"
POSSIBLE. ANY ICE ACCRUAL WILL BE CONFINED MAINLY TO ELEVATED
SURFACES OWING TO WARM PAVEMENT TEMPERATURES FROM TODAYS +70 DEGREE
READINGS.

TIMING: USING A BLEND OF THE GFS AND NAM...THE CHANGE-OVER FROM RAIN
TO FREEZING RAIN/SLEET LOOKS TO OCCUR BETWEEN 21Z NEAR THE VIRGINIA
BORDER TO 00Z ACROSS THE CENTRAL PIEDMONT/COASTAL PLAIN(ROUGHLY
ALONG AND NORTH OF HIGHWAY 64). WHILE THE CHANGE-OVER SHOULD
CONTINUE TO SURGE SOUTHWARD INTO THE SANDHILLS/SOUTHERN
PIEDMONT/SOUTHERN COASTAL PLAIN BETWEEN 00 TO 06Z...SUFFICIENT
COOLING TO SUPPORT FROZEN PRECIP APPEARS TO SHORT TO ALLOW ANY
APPRECIABLE ACCRUAL BEFORE PRECIP ENDS.

SINCE ANY P-TYPE CONCERNS WILL BE DURING LATE 2ND/EARLY 3RD
PERIOD...PREFERENCE IS TO HOLD OFF ON ISSUING ANY ADVISORIES AT THIS
TIME SO THAT FURTHER MODEL TRENDS CAN BE EVALUATED WITH THE 00Z/05
MODEL PACKAGE.

CLEARING FROM NW TO SE AND INTRUSION OF ARCTIC AIR INTO THE AREA
WILL SUPPORT COLD OVERNIGHT LOWS IN THE 20S WHICH WILL LIKELY LEAD
TO BLACK ICE DEVELOPMENT ACROSS THE AREA THURSDAY NIGHT/FRIDAY
MORNING. A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MAY BE NEEDED FOR BLACK ICE

Ok I'll ask a question not that anything that I've asked here has ever been answered. How has the storm performed as of now. As forecasted or above or below

This is not a normal setup for winter storms (at least for us). There will be a back door cold front that pushes in from the NE tomorrow that will interact with waves of moisture. The amount of precip that is available in our area and the speed that the cold air pushes in will dictate if this will be a real threat or not. So basically we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how the above features are behaving.    

To bad we cant get this to be snow, looks like a lot of sleet maybe 1" worth in some places but other than elevated surfaces it shouldn't be to much of a issue.....we need a "surprise" the pop up in the flow and get in here after the column is cold enough to snow.

Is that even possible? I've looked at the H5 maps from about every model, and I can't find any energy that would be strong enough or oriented well enough to create such a surprise.

Why can't the precip. color grid and the maps ever match up???

0.25 inch of ice is dangerous levels when it comes to power outages and trees coming down. This is not looking good for the Crystal Coast. Stay tuned!

11018996_816529488385031_125812883150122

Here is an update on the freezing rain potential across Eastern North Carolina Thursday night into Friday.

Is that even possible? I've looked at the H5 maps from about every model, and I can't find any energy that would be strong enough or oriented well enough to create such a surprise.

Not really unless they have it poorly modeled....hence the "surprise" part, of course the other possible "surprise" would be for the cold to be deeper quicker and allow it to snow more that way....of course both of these at this time appear to be not happening. I bet we get .10-15" ice on elevated surfaces and then maybe sleet and if we are lucky a hr or two of light snow that wont amount to anything....at least the roofs and vehicles might get white one more time.

Not really unless they have it poorly modeled....hence the "surprise" part, of course the other possible "surprise" would be for the cold to be deeper quicker and allow it to snow more that way....of course both of these at this time appear to be not happening. I bet we get .10-15" ice on elevated surfaces and then maybe sleet and if we are lucky a hr or two of light snow that wont amount to anything....at least the roofs and vehicles might get white one more time.

Yeah, looks like a long shot at this point. I'm still thinking .2 frozen here. That's my final call.

Guys this is one of those that is awfully hard to watch from the outside! Check out this NOAA map from today

(oops, won't let me post it)

The WW advisories stretch from Southern Texas all the way through the MA, but completely miss the Carolinas and Georgia (outside of elevation). Here in SC we really don't even get in on the cold. We have one day of below normal temps (Friday forecast is 41 for GSP) and only 2 mornings barely below freezing. Other than that it is all 50s and 60s for highs and 40s for lows. Contrast that with as much as 3-7 inches of snow forecast for NW Mississippi and highs in upper 20s and 30s for a couple days with lows in teens and 20s. And much colder still just North in Tennessee and Virginias. It is just amazing to me that we used to always get more winter weather than places like Dallas, LA, MS, AL, but over the past 10 years or so, they have waaaay surpassed us SC folks, and it's not even close. Don't know if it's a lack of blocking or SE ridge or what. I can understand NC and North, or Apps getting way more than us, but it is very hard to swallow all these South Central places getting so much more, especially when it wasn't always like that. Sometimes it feels like I'm living in Florida (no offense Phil :hug: ).

Guys this is one of those that is awfully hard to watch from the outside! Check out this NOAA map from today

(oops, won't let me post it)

The WW advisories stretch from Southern Texas all the way through the MA, but completely miss the Carolinas and Georgia (outside of elevation). Here in SC we really don't even get in on the cold. We have one day of below normal temps (Friday forecast is 41 for GSP) and only 2 mornings barely below freezing. Other than that it is all 50s and 60s for highs and 40s for lows. Contrast that with as much as 3-7 inches of snow forecast for NW Mississippi and highs in upper 20s and 30s for a couple days with lows in teens and 20s. And much colder still just North in Tennessee and Virginias. It is just amazing to me that we used to always get more winter weather than places like Dallas, LA, MS, AL, but over the past 10 years or so, they have waaaay surpassed us SC folks, and it's not even close. Don't know if it's a lack of blocking or SE ridge or what. I can understand NC and North, or Apps getting way more than us, but it is very hard to swallow all these South Central places getting so much more, especially when it wasn't always like that. Sometimes it feels like I'm living in Florida (no offense Phil :hug: ).

It's the Oconee snow hole!

Why can't the precip. color grid and the maps ever match up???

0.25 inch of ice is dangerous levels when it comes to power outages and trees coming down. This is not looking good for the Crystal Coast. Stay tuned!

11018996_816529488385031_125812883150122

Here is an update on the freezing rain potential across Eastern North Carolina Thursday night into Friday.

Interesting, no one is saying anything about any ice threat down here as of yet. Just a chance with only slight accumulation possible. Judging by those maps, we could be in for a bad ice storm.

Archived