• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/5/2015 Ice/Snow Event

Coach McGuirk

Ticked further south again, we go below freezing just after 18z, QPF was a little lighter but definitely a better run.  Solid freezing rain to IP event.

Slightly better does not deserve a double holy crap or even a holy crap. That would be like Burger going Boom for some flurries. That's false advertising man. :D

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly better does not deserve a double holy crap or even a holy crap. That would be like Burger going Boom for some flurries. That's false advertising man. :D

LOL...I was just looking at the SLP track and temps which was definitely colder and a tick further south.

Yeah, it's weird. That cool cat Rain_Cold was wondering why the GFS snow map has the cutoff NW to SE through NC but the Euro has it SW to NE. It's weird.

And what's with the dry slot through central GA into SC? What's causing that?

The GFS is causing that, LOL...I fully expect to get NAM'd/RGEM'd/GFS'd/UK'd/Euro'd tonight.  If not we toss until the 12z runs tomorrow.

Yeah, it's weird. That cool cat Rain_Cold was wondering why the GFS snow map has the cutoff NW to SE through NC but the Euro has it SW to NE. It's weird.

I could see NE NC outperforming all of us due to timing, but it does seem strange for RDU to dramatically outperform GSO in one of these situations, so I might lean more towards the Euro.

Also, GSO/PGV always beat RDU in snowfall (Packbacker's Rule), so there's that. :yikes:

I think Packbacker might be on anti-depressants or something.  I've never seen him so positive. :lol:

I still have my doubts on this one, which is why I haven't posted much (also, it's been the week from hell), but today's trends have piqued my interest.

---

As a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if the NW Piedmont and foothills don't get out of the 50s tomorrow.  It seems like we often get some wedging that holds down temperatures in these situations, though I am probably weenieing out and will be wrong.

I could see NE NC outperforming all of us due to timing, but it does seem strange for RDU to dramatically outperform GSO in one of these situations, so I might lean more towards the Euro.

Also, GSO/PGV always beat RDU in snowfall (Packbacker's Rule), so there's that. :yikes:

I think Packbacker might be on anti-depressants or something.  I've never seen him so positive. :lol:

I still have my doubts on this one, which is why I haven't posted much (also, it's been the week from hell), but today's trends have piqued my interest.

Good to have you back on board!  What's the EPS mean like for GSO?

I think Packbacker might be on anti-depressants or something. I've never seen him so positive. :lol:

If we continue to see trends in this direction, I really think you will get at least the inch that you want.

Good to have you back on board!  What's the EPS mean like for GSO?

The mean on the WB meteograms have ~2.25" of wintry precip with every single member onboard for at least something wintry.

If we continue to see trends in this direction, I really think you will get at least the inch that you want.

Yeah, we'll see.  It could definitely happen, though I think it's <25% at this point.

This wedge means business at the moment.  Charleston, WV is at 63 degrees at this time while it's 37 here (and Charleston is under a WSW for 4-8" of snow on Wednesday night).  I really do wonder if we actually shoot up into the upper 60s tomorrow or if the wedge holds stronger than anticipated.

---

As a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if the NW Piedmont and foothills don't get out of the 50s tomorrow.  It seems like we often get some wedging that holds down temperatures in these situations, though I am probably weenieing out and will be wrong.

LOL...I think it's a fun event, mid 70's tomorrow with ice the next day. I didn't even bring up what the UK does on Friday....

I have been taken from rain to snow to just rain you would think the weather channel not talk so confidently with there cast they have only been wrong 3 or 4 times now you would think they would at least talk about the other possibilities.

Kind of a backwards storm for us.  Usually we have this 50/50 that always scoots out faster as we get inside 48 hours and we have a HP sliding out to sea with the SLP trying to catch it.  Now we have the SE ridge with a HP pressing down on a wave.  Only fair the SE ridge weakens a little quicker and the HP slides in a little quicker, that's been the trend all winter... :whistle:

Kind of a backwards storm for us.  Usually we have this 50/50 that always scoots out faster as we get inside 48 hours and we have a HP sliding out to sea with the SLP trying to catch it.  Now we have the SE ridge with a HP pressing down on a wave.  Only fair the SE ridge weakens a little quicker and the HP slides in a little quicker, that's been the trend all winter... :whistle:

This is going to come down to the orientation of the front and how far south it gets. If it's more east-west, then we could have a stronger push into the piedmont and foothills. If it's SW to NE then we will escape the frozen / freezing precip in the foothills. Right now it looks to be a northern / northeastern NC special. Will be interesting to see if tonight's runs trend any farther south.

18z GFS "snow map"

Edit:  Don't know why it's showing that frozen QPF hole in the triad, it had a lot of QPF. 

That's an easy one, fellas.  I'm in the absolute worst spot for this one, if you're looking for wintry precipitation.  The mountains will block the immediate lee of the Apps from getting the cold air until long after the RDU area has received it.  The backdoor cold front will sink you to freezing, while I'm languishing in the mid 40s.  It sucks, but what can you do?  Downsloping, FTW!!

See for yourself:

54gavqq.png

Archived