joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/5/2015 Ice/Snow Event

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

33s and a few 32s showing up just north of the boarder now.  CC shows the main transition line just along the VA side of the boarder as well.  It should progress southward into the area just as the main precip moves out.  Perfect timing as usual.

Our only chance it would seem is that thin band of returns in Mississippi and Alabama that might make it south of the mountains and come through here in a few hours. That should be frozen I would think. Probably just a bit of sleet.

I don't think he was that conservative. Their approach lately seems to be to make it up as things unfold. 

No, he went non-conservative this time.  He was saying sleet and ZR would get in here earlier than the models were showing.  That was not conservative.

Our only chance it would seem is that thin band of returns in Mississippi and Alabama that might make it south of the mountains and come through here in a few hours. That should be frozen I would think. Probably just a bit of sleet.

Yeah, hopefully, it will hold together.  It would suck to be blanked completely.

Okay. The last time I saw I thought WRAL was saying it would get here around the rush hour.

They may have changed it this morning.  I didn't look at it.  I was watching Greg yesterday.  That's when I heard him say it.

Anyway, WWAs issued area wide for.......Black Ice!

They may have changed it this morning. I didn't look at it. I was watching Greg yesterday. That's when I heard him say it.

Anyway, WWAs issued area wide for.......Black Ice!

I'm going to leave work early! My roads are soaked , and if everybody leaves at 5, my commute would be gridlocked! I'm gonna out smart them and leave early! Don't want to be a lemming! :)

Yeah, hopefully, it will hold together.  It would suck to be blanked completely.

We get black ice to look forward to atleast,  :axe: .  We should see a few sleet pellets between 7-8pm. 

It's nice to see the MA again get another 150% climo season with another over-achieving snow storm.  Regression to the mean is going to be tough for them, eventually, always got to pay the piper... :devilsmiley:

I think back to that stretch we had from 2000-2004 where we had like 60+" of snow, which was an insane streak.  We have been paying for that streak for 11 years now, where we have only totaled 43".   I think the MA/NE are going to be ruing the regression to the mean sooner or later...#regressionFTL....

We get black ice to look forward to atleast,  :axe: .  We should see a few sleet pellets between 7-8pm. 

It's nice to see the MA again get another 150% climo season with another over-achieving snow storm.  Regression to the mean is going to be tough for them, eventually, always got to pay the piper... :devilsmiley:

I think back to that stretch we had from 2000-2004 where we had like 60+" of snow, which was an insane streak.  We have been paying for that streak for 11 years now, where we have only totaled 43".   I think the MA/NE are going to be ruing the regression to the mean sooner or later...#regressionFTL....

Haha...it's just so astounding that it's so hard to get snow here.  Central Alabama has no problem getting snow.  Dallas has no problem getting snow.  But the SE is just in a slump when it comes to good snowstorms.  We have to nickel and dime our way to climo.  We had two legitimate winter events this year.  There was an inch of sleet in one and 6" of snow in the other.  So sad.

Haha...it's just so astounding that it's so hard to get snow here.  Central Alabama has no problem getting snow.  Dallas has no problem getting snow.  But the SE is just in a slump when it comes to good snowstorms.  We have to nickel and dime our way to climo.  We had two legitimate winter events this year.  There was an inch of sleet in one and 6" of snow in the other.  So sad.

We will come out of the funk, eventually.  Richmond broke out of there slump this winter, so did BNA.  I think next year we will have another nino, let's just hope whatever we need to get some blocking comes together.

We should see this band back in the mtns rolls through in a few hours for some light sleet....

post-2311-0-47173200-1425590998_thumb.pn

Also, I think we are going to get a big winter, possibly a couple back to back, 12-15" type winters.  We are super overdue for a 10"+ winter.  Going on 12 years now, longest streak before was 7 and that only happened twice in 130 years.  We typically average about 3 10"+ seasons every 10 years.

Also, I think we are going to get a big winter, possibly a couple back to back, 12-15" type winters.  We are super overdue for a 10"+ winter.  Going on 12 years now, longest streak before was 7 and that only happened twice in 130 years.  We typically average about 3 10"+ seasons every 10 years.

Does it have anything to do with the base AMO or PDO states?

Don't feel so bad bro. It just now dropped below 50 here...haha....49.3... epic cold!!! Don't think i'll see any frozen out of this one.

Yeah, they are doing great up there today!!  IAD should be around 85" for the past 2 season total now. More like an average couple of years for Boston.

Does it have anything to do with the base AMO or PDO states?

From a couple papers I read the NAO tends to lag the AMO, for argument sakes lets just say that lag is 15 years.  The warm AMO started roughly about 1999-2000, so we should see a predominately -NAO for the next 25-30 years.  That's if you believe in weather running in 25-30 year cycles.

For example a warm AMO started in the 1930's and the -NAO cycle started just before 1950, roughly 15 year lag.  That -NAO cycle lasted to roughly mid/late 70's.  As you can see below the cool AMO cycle started in the 60's and the NAO flipped positive 15 years later.  The latest warm AMO cycle started in 99/00 so do we see a long -NAO cycle start in the next year or two???  Some people think we see the warm AMO coming to an end "soon", but if that does then it blows this theory out of the water.   But, just because next we see the AMO cool in the short term doesn't mean the warm AMO cycle is dead, there are blips in the 30 year cycle.

We will see.  I wish Webber was on as he would educate all of us on this.

2000px-Amo_timeseries_1856-present.svg.p

season.JFM.nao.gif

From a couple papers I read the NAO tends to lag the AMO, for argument sakes lets just say that lag is 15 years.  The warm AMO started roughly about 1999-2000, so we should see a predominately -NAO for the next 25-30 years.  That's if you believe in weather running in 25-30 year cycles.

For example a warm AMO started in the 1930's and the -NAO cycle started just before 1950, roughly 15 year lag.  That -NAO cycle lasted to roughly mid/late 70's.  As you can see below the cool AMO cycle started in the 60's and the NAO flipped positive 15 years later.  The latest warm AMO cycle started in 99/00 so do we see a long -NAO cycle start in the next year or two???  Some people think we see the warm AMO coming to an end "soon", but if that does then it blows this theory out of the water.   But, just because next we see the AMO cool in the short term doesn't mean the warm AMO cycle is dead, there are blips in the 30 year cycle.

We will see.  I wish Webber was on as he would educate all of us on this.

Very interesting.  Hopefully, that will turn out correct.  Thanks for the info!

Very interesting.  Hopefully, that will turn out correct.  Thanks for the info!

Yeah, it's no secret why we had a very snow stretch from 58-73, we avg 10" a season.  Our least snowy streak was the 90's....just look at the NAO plot above....

Archived