amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per meteograms looks like 850's and surface go below freezing at the same time around 10-12z. 

I'm not so gung-ho with the Ukie

at 60 hrs the 5400 thickness line is in western PA; it's hard to see, but it's the dotted line almost touching the NW tip of Garrett County, MD

http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?lang=en&map=na&run=00&mod=ukmet&stn=PNM&comp=1&run2=-99&mod2=cmc_anal&stn2=PNM&hh2=072&fixhh=1&stn2_type=anal&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest&hh=060

Nice ggem shift with thermals. If the Ukie makes a move then we have almost unanimous agreement.

I agree with Kenny. A good sleet thump topped with snow is totally fine in my book. This has been a mix storm since the beginning. Torrential sleet would be fun.

There's just something about hearing that deafening sound of a sleet downpour that is really cool to experience. Give me a really nice sleet base and then even just a couple of inches of snow (like 2 would be fine) and I'll be happy. It's March and soon I'll be in severe mode...IF sleet has to happen let's make it memorable. 

Nice ggem shift with thermals. If the Ukie makes a move then we have almost unanimous agreement.

I agree with Kenny. A good sleet thump topped with snow is totally fine in my book. This has been a mix storm since the beginning. Torrential sleet would be fun.

Ugh...I may have to stay up for the Euro tonight

Ugh...I may have to stay up for the Euro tonight

I wasn't implying we have unanimous agreement about a sleet storm and limited snow. Ggem and Ukie improved from 12z. And both show a bigger thump from 12-18z.

I'm not sure what everybody is hoping for but we are staring at a 3-6" frozen event inside of 72 hours. I'm pretty stoked

no.   It's kind of misleading there, as it implies 2 different models.   But I think he is just displaying different output grids from the operational GFS run:  the one labeled as "regular" is very, very coarse (perhaps 110 km), and the "hi-res" is the highest-resolution GFS grid made available (about 25 km).

no.   It's kind of misleading there, as it implies 2 different models.   But I think he is just displaying different output grids from the operational GFS run:  the one labeled as "regular" is very, very coarse (perhaps 110 km), and the "hi-res" is the highest-resolution GFS grid made available (about 25 km).

Why have 2 resolutions for the same model?

I wasn't implying we have unanimous agreement about a sleet storm and limited snow. Ggem and Ukie improved from 12z. And both show a bigger thump from 12-18z.

I'm not sure what everybody is hoping for but we are staring at a 3-6" frozen event inside of 72 hours. I'm pretty stoked

Yup..most of us are realistic and grounded.  3 to 6 after some sleet is fine by me.

Archived