joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's a touch colder than the 18z run but I still can't help but think the nam is too warm aloft and indeed heavy precip will keep temps from warming aloft as much as it keeps insisting. this run actually drops 850s below 0 initially then by around hour 23 moves them just above 0 again. What is worrisome to me about this is that it does right in the middle of very intense precip rates. In fact the nam is actually showing a little dynamical cooling taking place way to the south over south georgia/southern sc with the blob of heaviest convection.

My guess is that warming at hour 24 in the mid-levels is because the low intensifies, but the low is basically SE of  N GA by that point, I've been discussing that idea of the NAM warming things with people all day and most agree its suspicious

NAM and RPM from 0Z just heavier than before in north GA, gradient on the south side has shifted only a tiny bit south, all snow still north of the Perimeter- so my thinking of ITP getting not much and the NWS being way too far south still looks good.

The NAM up here in the northeast has been overamped all winter on virtually every storm, if the RGEM overadjusted at 12Z and comes south this gets very interesting in your area, it really does not take a big shift, the WAA is just not impressive with this in the layers that are borderline and the last 3 storms in the SE have ended up colder than some guidance was saying...I don't think the south towns need to worry but it would not shock me if FTY-PDK saw 4 or 5 inches and the airport 2 or 3

What is the future cast model anyway?  Who created it?  is it a blend of other models?  Not to get too off topic.  Im just trying to understand its variables and biases.

From my understanding it is just a model based off of the 4k NAM that a weather service sells to stations. They just call it the "in house modeling". A big marketing play and that's it. 

My guess is that warming at hour 24 in the mid-levels is because the low intensifies, but the low is basically SE of  N GA by that point, I've been discussing that idea of the NAM warming things with people all day and most agree its suspicious

from my experience the nam doesn't normally "see" the cooling until right before it's happening. It will hint at it, shift it around a bit before hand but not do well with it well ahead of time.  Regardless, the cooling it shows over central ga aloft is impressive...dropping 4c in many locals. a closer examination shows that temps are within that infamous 1c..maybe even 0.50c from being snow on a much wider scale through hour 27 over quite a wide area. that's not a lot of wiggle room for the model to be right in the face of very intense precip rates.

Are we relying on gulf or Atlantic moisture for the main driver of this storm, or both?

Some models seem to indicate a minimum in the central-western part of the state, and I'm wondering if the coastal portion of the low could "skip" certain areas. We've seen it before.

Some of the moisture from this system will be brought from the Atlantic Ocean. There will be southeasterly winds almost entirely through the storm, so this could help to enhance the precipitation through the Carolinas. I expect that models could be under-doing the precipitation in certain areas, and that is why I am not shocked when the NAM increased precipitation at 0z. I expect nearly all the state to receive at least a 1/2 of an inch of precipitation, and areas from roughly I-77 west to receive over 3/4 of an inch of precipitation. Further east, 1+ inch of precip is likely.

Its funny....NAM puts snowflakes in the air around here once that Mid level low cranks...hahah takes our 850 temps to like 0c, with some insane lift.  I still think the NAM is too far NW

from my experience the nam doesn't normally "see" the cooling until right before it's happening. It will hint at it, shift it around a bit before hand but not do well with it well ahead of time.  Regardless, the cooling it shows over central ga aloft is impressive...dropping 4c in many locals. a closer examination shows that temps are within that infamous 1c..maybe even 0.50c from being snow on a much wider scale through hour 27 over quite a wide area. that's not a lot of wiggle room for the model to be right in the face of very intense precip rates.

Look at what it does Chris, when it strengthens the mid low over southern GA.  It drops my 850's down to like 0c almost -2c for a brief time...hahah Well..ok nam

From my understanding it is just a model based off of the 4k NAM that a weather service sells to stations. They just call it the "in house modeling". A big marketing play and that's it.

It is from WSI and is similar to the NAM but can be quite different at times as the physics package is not the same in all areas....

The NAM up here in the northeast has been overamped all winter on virtually every storm, if the RGEM overadjusted at 12Z and comes south this gets very interesting in your area, it really does not take a big shift, the WAA is just not impressive with this in the layers that are borderline and the last 3 storms in the SE have ended up colder than some guidance was saying...I don't think the south towns need to worry but it would not shock me if FTY-PDK saw 4 or 5 inches and the airport 2 or 3

I would be completely shocked if the airport got 2-3". As I said before I would just love to be dead wrong with this one though.....

It is from WSI and is similar to the NAM but can be quite different at times as the physics package is not the same in all areas....

Isn't there a big debate though as to if WSI really even does anything special with it?...Thus why I'm calling it a marketing play for them. They can make the network feel good about having something "unique" while spending the minimal amount of money on servers and networks. Just what has alway been floated around. 

Archived