• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

Here it is.....the setup looked colder with more cold air in place with a more south track of the upper lows

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1983/us0324.php

I checked out CIPS today and no setup really resembled this with the surface low so far south yet the 500 low relatively far north....1/24/91 I thought was the closest one overall and it was not a spectacular match

Thanks! 850 low was just to my south. This time, it will be well to my north and much weaker. Rain definitely looks like a lock now, for me.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plumes are out. Greensboro is just over 6". The funny part is that none of the members are anywhere close to the mean. They are grouped around 5" and 10"!

Yeah, there's a tight cluster around 4-5" and another tight cluster around 8-10"... the mean of 6.60" is almost not informative at all...

At least we no longer have any members that blank us (minimum is 0.73").  One member gives us 14", but most seem within reason.

Our mean QPF is actually close to 0.9".  Some of the members start us out as rain, which I frankly think is not very realistic at this point beyond a brief period (less than 30 minutes, if that, IMO... and probably not at all).

This is from the GFS for 00z Thurs.  The yellows and reds show the coupled jet streaks (250mb) with the southeast being in the left exit region of the subtropical jet across TX/LA and in the right entrance region of the polar jet over the northeast/mid-atlantic...leading to the diverging black arrows over the southeast showing the 250mb divergence aloft.  If you run the loop, you can see these good dynamics roll through MS/AL, then into the Carolinas.  So, this shows the dynamic nature of the system.  Limiting factor with precip amounts for this storm is that it is a relatively fast mover.  The blue lines / shading over the southeast represents upward vertical motion at 500mb - http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/kgriffin/maps/irrwind/irrwind_namer_loop.html

250_GFS.gif

Here it is.....the setup looked colder with more cold air in place with a more south track of the upper lows

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1983/us0324.php

I checked out CIPS today and no setup really resembled this with the surface low so far south yet the 500 low relatively far north....1/24/91 I thought was the closest one overall and it was not a spectacular match

Snowgoose,

Thanks. Note the low 850 RH for that one just before the precip. started. I wonder if that, itself, could have caused evap. cooling at 850 to have been underestimated? Opinion?

SREF still shows a lot of rain to sleet for RDU which cuts snow totals. QPF mean is over 1", so if you think it'll stay cold enough, that could easily be 10".

January 25th, 2000 was also rain to sleet. It didn't change over to snow until 2 to 3 hours after precip started. By 1 AM, we had 4-5" on the ground. Not saying this will be like that, but if we do have a juicy storm, we can afford to waste precip on sleet.

January 25th, 2000 was also rain to sleet. It didn't change over to snow until 2 to 3 hours after precip started. By 1 AM, we had 4-5" on the ground. Not saying this will be like that, but if we do have a juicy storm, we can afford to waste precip on sleet.

In Chapel Hill / Orange county it started as snow. There was +6" at 9pm west of Carrboro.

I doubt we will have that much rain or sleet. Allan already explained why.

This is from the GFS for 00z Thurs.  The yellows and reds show the coupled jet streaks (250mb) with the southeast being in the left exit region of the subtropical jet across TX/LA and in the right entrance region of the polar jet over the northeast/mid-atlantic...leading to the diverging black arrows over the southeast showing the 250mb divergence aloft.  If you run the loop, you can see these good dynamics roll through MS/AL, then into the Carolinas.  So, this shows the dynamic nature of the system.  Limiting factor with precip amounts for this storm is that it is a relatively fast mover.  The blue lines / shading over the southeast represents upward vertical motion at 500mb - http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/kgriffin/maps/irrwind/irrwind_namer_loop.html

250_GFS.gifwow what if this sucker were to slow a little, wow

For my location, it was light rain for most of that time(for the first two hours). Then switched to sleet for about 15 minutes before it was all snow. We ended up in the bull's-eye.  

In Chapel Hill / Orange county it started as snow. There was +6" at 9pm west of Carrboro.

I lived on Davie Circle in Chapel Hill, and it started at my house as rain. It was raining at 6:00 p.m. when I left for work at Nortel in RTP. When I arrived at work, a few snowflakes were starting to mix in, but it was still predominately a wind-whipped rain.

By the time I left work just after midnight, there was about 8" of powder on the parking lot.

For my location, it was light rain for most of that time. Then switched to sleet for about 15 minutes before it was all snow. We ended up in the bull's-eye.

Where I lived at the time was off Honeycutt not just a few miles north from where 540 is now. The rain didn't last too long, but it did seem to sleet a good while. Maybe I misremembered how long that was. I do remember, however, watching the changeover band on the radar move from east to west as the cold air wrapped in.

Watching the NAM come in.  A plug for Allan's (RaleighWx) trend loop on the AmWx model site....really nice feature for seeing how a model has trended over the last 4 runs.  At hr12, the wave is over TX, and you can see over the last 4 runs it has weakened slightly on the NAM...which makes sense in that it has been the over-amped outlier.

Archived