joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 21-22 Storm Obs Thread

snowfan

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it doesnt make sense...the criteria should be more uniform. For warnings to surround 2 counties and those 2 counties have advisories is pointless...The NWS also dropped the ball yesterday on the issuance of advisories for just 1-2 while their point and clicks and snow maps argued for more, they later fixed the issue...Anyway I see some precip reports in NOVA...confirmation?

I noticed that and it looks weird, but are those two counties in the State College NWS area?  If so, that would explain it as they have higher criteria than the Phila office where those warned counties to the east are.  Looks funny tho.

Blacksburg's sounding has the warm layer just above 850mb. They were bumping right up against freezing aloft at 7am.

Yes. and it's quite a few degrees warmer than modeled. I was worried I'd miss out on the qpf all day so I'll take whatever. Some data was pretty stingy on snow just south of route 460, so I may be OK for  while. 

Does anybody remember last December or the December before (I think it was Sunday the 8th) there was a snowstorm that dumped about 8" - 12" of snow north of I-70 when initially only 4" - 6" was forecast? Does this setup look familiar?

Last year. I picked up 7.5" but it was really elevation dependent. Different set-up

Archived