joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome man, this would be my first time do they have good turnouts car wise?

Off topic, but there is motor cross, go karts, quarter midgets, battle robots, car show, etc all for the same price. When the weather is bad the pRking lots become slick. They have overflow Parking at HACC. Sunday is your best bet. All worth it because it's one ticket price for all the action. Hopefully road crews are prepared with the short notice given.

As has been mentioned by wmsptwx and Mallow earlier the local qpf minimum over true central PA is a bit concerning given that it's been shown by many of the models. It's certainly good to see CTP committing to a warning here though.

RGEM spreads that to cover all of us north of 80 with lesser snow amounts.

Seems to me guidance is honing in on an area of heavier overrunning out ahead and east of the main low. This feature is focused on areas from near D.C. to areas in central PA, depending on which model you look at. Also, there is higher forcing with the dynamics and the stretched/sheared low, so a higher QPF max is there as well. In-between, the globals (sans Euro) have been consistent in showing the central mountains of PA on the lower side of the QPF ranges. I'm not sure what to buy at this point. I don't buy the NAMing of the LSV the last few runs, but could see some higher amounts along or slightly east of I-81, with some "screwing" going on in the I-99 corridor. It all comes down to how the VV's shape up as that 850mb LLJ points in C PA's direction.

If any of you saw our snow map earlier today, I think we need to bump some of those totals up. Joe will make that call tonight and I'll re-evaluate things tomorrow morning. Should be a fun storm to track! It's going to come down fast and furious once it starts though...that jet is going to mean business. 

Seems to me guidance is honing in on an area of heavier overrunning out ahead and east of the main low. This feature is focused on areas from near D.C. to areas in central PA, depending on which model you look at. Also, there is higher forcing with the dynamics and the stretched/sheared low, so a higher QPF max is there as well. In-between, the globals (sans Euro) have been consistent in showing the central mountains of PA on the lower side of the QPF ranges. I'm not sure what to buy at this point. I don't buy the NAMing of the LSV the last few runs, but could see some higher amounts along or slightly east of I-81, with some "screwing" going on in the I-99 corridor. It all comes down to how the VV's shape up as that 850mb LLJ points in C PA's direction.

If any of you saw our snow map earlier today, I think we need to bump some of those totals up. Joe will make that call tonight and I'll re-evaluate things tomorrow morning. Should be a fun storm to track! It's going to come down fast and furious once it starts though...that jet is going to mean business.

Should be a good storm somewhere down this way. I thought that both WGAL and WHTM were both a little conservative with their snowfall maps (2-5)

Side note currently 4/-5

Wow...down to +3 already at 7:30pm. I wonder if I can get lower than the -5 I had last night...

Down to +1 now...

cloud cover will halt the crash at some point overnight but temps falling around the area right now shows what we missed out on last night with the wind.  MDT down to 5 already and the record low for the 21st is 6 that will be set at midnight as long as clouds don't come in and bump temps back up by then.

I'm definitely noting the QPF weakness a lot of model guidance has had in the central part of the state but I'm kinda leery on what to think about it. Overrunning events arriving from the southwest typically don't have that kind of shadowing effect, especially in the absence of a developing coastal secondary...which is usually what would promote such a thing. Will have to see what happens with it I guess. For now the early looks on the start of this event via the RAP look like a pretty solid onset of precip.

This event also seems to have a bit of a convective element to it as well, which could lead to some local surprises in snow totals and some pretty intense snowfall at times. 

cloud cover will halt the crash at some point overnight but temps falling around the area right now shows what we missed out on last night with the wind.  MDT down to 5 already and the record low for the 21st is 6 that will be set at midnight as long as clouds don't come in and bump temps back up by then.

Yeah. It was -5 here and -9 in Hazleton where my truck is parked. I wonder if the temps could have been close to 10 degrees colder if we didn't have the wind. As for tomorrow's snow event, it'll be interesting to see what ends up taking place and who might actually make out well with this one.

FRI EVENING UPDATE...

DIGESTING THE AFTERNOON 18Z RUNS...CONCERNS CENTER ON TOTAL SYSTEM

QPF AND A REDUCTION IN PRECIP RATES AND QPF AFTER THE INITIAL

BURST OF WARM ADVECTION PASSES EAST OF THE REGION SAT AFTERNOON

AND DOWNSLOPING REDUCES OVERALL SNOWFALL RATES. ECMWF QPF IS MOST

ROBUST OVERALL...BUT EVEN IT STRUGGLES TO PRODUCE WARNING CRITERIA

SNOWFALL FOR MOST (6"/12 HOURS). OUR WARNINGS STRADDLE THAT 6"

BENCHMARK AND CAN`T SEE MAKING ANY HEADLINE CHANGES AT THIS

TIME...IN FAVOR OF SEEING A FULL 00Z PACKAGE AND ADJUSTING UP TO

THE ONSET OF SNOWFALL BY MID MORNING SAT.

CTP's latest take on the precip issue.

FRI EVENING UPDATE...

DIGESTING THE AFTERNOON 18Z RUNS...CONCERNS CENTER ON TOTAL SYSTEM

QPF AND A REDUCTION IN PRECIP RATES AND QPF AFTER THE INITIAL

BURST OF WARM ADVECTION PASSES EAST OF THE REGION SAT AFTERNOON

AND DOWNSLOPING REDUCES OVERALL SNOWFALL RATES. ECMWF QPF IS MOST

ROBUST OVERALL...BUT EVEN IT STRUGGLES TO PRODUCE WARNING CRITERIA

SNOWFALL FOR MOST (6"/12 HOURS). OUR WARNINGS STRADDLE THAT 6"

BENCHMARK AND CAN`T SEE MAKING ANY HEADLINE CHANGES AT THIS

TIME...IN FAVOR OF SEEING A FULL 00Z PACKAGE AND ADJUSTING UP TO

THE ONSET OF SNOWFALL BY MID MORNING SAT.

CTP's latest take on the precip issue.

Well, originally the WSW was for 5-9 inches, and they just updated it and lowered the totals to 4-7.

The GFS is somewhere out in LaLa  Land...

Is it? Somehow, after all this, I could see that being closer to verification than the NAM. Of course, I'm not a met, and I'm just going on the historical nature of storm evolution since I've lived in Tamaqua.

As far as temps go, I've tied my low for the day (and all time since I bought my weather station) already. Down to -5 here. I need one more degree. Can I do it?

CTP's short term forecast is, well, sexy.

.SHORT TERM /6 AM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT/...

FRI LATE EVENING UPDATE...

00Z SAT NAM12 HAS ARRIVED...AND THE DISTRIBUTION OF QPF IS NO MORE

CLEAR. LOOKING AT 700-850 MB FRONTOGENESIS FIELDS WRT NAM12

QPF...IT APPEARS THE MODEL IS FOCUSING MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL

ALONG AND NORTH OF A DEVELOPING REGION OF FRONTOGENESIS SAT

AFTERNOON AND EVENING OVER THE SOUTH CENTRAL MOUNTAINS AND LOWER

SUSQ. EVENT PRECIP ACCUMS NOW EXCEED 1 INCH FROM THE SINGLE NAM12

RUN. MEANWHILE...PREVIOUS SREF PLUMES INDICATE MEAN VALUES OF .4"

TO .8" ACROSS CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE CWA.

WON`T MAKE ANY CHANGES BASED ON ONE MODEL RUN OBVIOUSLY...BUT IT

APPEARS THE FORECAST WILL REMAIN TRICKY THROUGHOUT THIS EVENING AS

EVOLVING FORCING FROM INCREASED BAROCLINICITY OVER SOUTHERN

PORTIONS OF PA WILL BE COUNTERACTING DECREASING WAA WITH DEPARTING

INITIAL WAVE AND DOWNSLOPE IN BROADER WSW FLOW ALOFT.

BOTTOM LINE...OUR WARNINGS CONTINUE TO STRADDLE THAT 6" BENCHMARK

AND WON`T MAKE ANY HEADLINE CHANGES AT THIS TIME...IN FAVOR OF

SEEING A FULL 00Z PACKAGE AND ADJUSTING UP TO THE ONSET OF

SNOWFALL BY MID MORNING SAT.

Archived