Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the UKMET, at hr 48, the snow/other precip line is from CLT to FAY with snow entering the western Piedmont, so even with that horrible track, it is snow to start, at least.  Subfreezing 2m temps go from CLT to south of RDU.

No doubt it warms up after that, though.  Snow-to-rain, I suppose.  Looks like surface temps are only below freezing at hr 60 in NW NC... say maybe from Winston-Salem N/W?

I actually thought it would be worse with that track.  My guess is that there's some sort of Miller B-esque transfer occurring between the hr 48 and 60 panels on Meteocentre.

Ukmet would be a heavy burst of fronted snow 3 to 4 inches, then sleet of about 2 to 3 tenths inch q pf, then back to 1 to 3 inch snow on back side in triad. Surface temps in low 20s at their warmest before falling back into teens on backside. I'd take this in a heartbeat.

The bad part is it's still 36-48 hours before start time, and I doubt the northward trend stops. what a turn around today in models!

Thanks man. I wonder why height rises mysteriously show up now. Oh well.

Buddy's happy again!  Not good for us

As we've discussed, it just seems to be a common bias for all models to represent the height pattern farther south in the medium range progs than what actually occurs, but especially so in absence of a good blocking regime (-NAO).

Buddy's happy again! Not good for us

As we've discussed, it just seems to be a common bias for all models to represent the height pattern farther south than what actually occurs in the medium range progs, but especially so in absence of a good blocking regime (-NAO).

This is some sick mind game that we have to play every 6 damn hours. It's clobbers me then it shifts so far south I get .01" of qpf while griteater gets the goods then back to me lol I'm gonna have a heart attack over this stuff.

BF, Imo things have pretty much converged and this is how it will play out. I hate we want be 100 percent snow, espeacilly me, but the warning shots for this to get a little amped up where showing 2 days ago. It was just a matter of time before we ended up where we are now. When you where sweating the suppression, we just had weak - slider shortwaves, throwing moisture over artic air. But once it became clear the Baja was gonna inject or influence one of the shortwaves you know the north trend correction along with waa where coming. This is a classical winter storm for our area. I hate it will screw the I 20 crowd and most likely nail some folks with good bit of frzng rain.

This is some sick mind game that we have to play every 6 damn hours. It's clobbers me then it shifts so far south I get .01" of qpf while griteater gets the goods then back to me lol I'm gonna have a heart attack over this stuff.

I hear ya, it's all part of the ebb and flow.  The snow producing portion of any storm isn't all that large when you think about it, so minor storm track changes have huge implications to us weenies.

BF, Imo things have pretty much converged and this is how it will play out. I hate we want be 100 percent snow, espeacilly me, but the warning shots for this to get a little amped up where showing 2 days ago. It was just a matter of time before we ended up where we are now. When you where sweating the suppression, we just had weak - slider shortwaves, throwing moisture over artic air. But once it became clear the Baja was gonna inject or influence one of the shortwaves you know the north trend correction along with waa where coming. This is a classical winter storm for our area. I hate it will screw the I 20 crowd and most likely nail some folks with good bit of frzng rain.

with that UKmet track we go over to plain rain right? I bet the northward trend is not done yet. If the Euro goes north any from it's 12z run I say over for most of us.... By over I mean major winter storm, might be a little mix at the start... If any more north trend. JMO

with that UKmet track we go over to plain rain right? I bet the northward trend is not done yet. If the Euro goes north any from it's 12z run I say over for most of us.... By over I mean major winter storm, might be a little mix at the start... If any more north trend. JMO

Mt. Airy still has sub-freezing surface temps at hr 60.  I think you might be below freezing the entire storm.

Archived