Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James,

It would be very surprising based on history if there ends up being a surface low moving eastward from north AL through N GA (or even C AL through C GA) and into the wedge of cold air. Also, would it make much sense? Why would the low do that? If anything, I'd expect it to dissipate while west of the wedge and there could easily be a new near SE coast low. If the low is to move eastward to the SE coast and remain primary, I think that would likely need to occur down in the southern third of GA. Maybe it would move ESE from AL into S GA. We'll see!

Opinion?

I'm not sure, Larry.  It's certainly not a usual track, though I'm not sure if it's impossible.  It might transfer after hr 48, though.

---

Anyways, out to hr 42, the GFS is going to come north some, more in line with the other modeling, perhaps.

Looks like it's snowing in the western Piedmont by Monday afternoon.

For NC this is better than the 18z run, IMO. The front-end thump is solid. The surface low is in line with other modeling.

Good run for I-40. Looks like it probably goes over to sleet somewhere between hr 51-54, but not before a nice thump.

This is going to be a bad ice storm for NC. Lots of precip.

That's if it's done going north, we are still 48 hours out. Is it rain for CLT? North trend never fails.

Allan first guess.

My first guess. Will narrow in more tomorrow. Subject to change! pic.twitter.com/u270sPMKDP

0 replies 29 retweets 23 favorites
Retweet 29 Retweeted 29
Favorite 23 Favorited 23
More

• Share via Direct Message
  • Embed Tweet
  • Mute
  • Unmute
  • Block or report

Guys may be a stupid question but are the models possibly suffering with any sort of convective feedback or is the lee side effect in full force in relation to getting this precip over the mountains?

There is no lee side shadow on the GFS, and seriously doubt there will be when all is said and done

For reasons already stated, I don't buy this GFS run of an eastward moving low through both central AL and central GA together with a widespread major NC ZR. It hasn't happened at the very least since 1950 and it doesn't make much sense that it would move due eastward and push directly on the wedge.

Archived