Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
President's Day Weekend 2015 Storm Potential 2/14-2/15

bluewave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beware that the south trend only really helps if it can turn negative somewhat quickly off the coast, if it tracks south of us but is more or less positively tilted til offshore it won't make a huge difference.  This looks like a rich man's version of 2/25/90 to me right now, stronger low with a norlun type feature that may impact the same general latitude but extend further west.

I'd honestly be shocked if it does, I think the GFS holds serve, but after the NAM just did this, I'm getting the feeling that the RGEM, GGEM and ECMWF hold right where they have been, the next SREF run goes more south and the UKMET goes south again. I think it's going to be GFS vs the world again after the EURO comes in tomorrow morning

the GFS has been trending south I think it caves tonight

Beware that the south trend only really helps if it can turn negative somewhat quickly off the coast, if it tracks south of us but is more or less positively tilted til offshore it won't make a huge difference. This looks like a rich man's version of 2/25/90 to me right now, stronger low with a norlun type feature that may impact the same general latitude but extend further west.

SnowGoose, sounds like you are unimpressed by this south trend?

I think we have to rely too much on the inverted trof, I think it will be well positioned for people between coastal CT and Staten Island but they don't always deliver.  I think we need to see this turn negative faster to see more significant snow blossom NW of the low outside of the inverted trof.

As seen here, the heaviest banding closest to our area remains over western CT into SNY and has barely moved from 18z to 00z

18z

96a2ae30ac23f673bd6c2fc4dca06b3b.jpg

00z

5bae3fc70b96c80e4f955aeb7d4bbc6b.jpg

Not to rain on any parade (it'll be snow anyway) but the trends have to be LEAPS, not ticks here and there.....to get into the bigger stuff, that is. As far as a 2-4" event (with higher amounts east) becoming more likely, THAT is possible.....But when we are dealing with a 15-30" event headed north, I just want to make sure that the information is not misleading for some thinking that we may get into anything at all like that. We could get a light snowfall from this and set the stage for the greater event early next week

He's saying even with the closed off h5 coming south, without the trough turning negative quickly this still scoots to our NE fast instead of slowing down and getting tugged closer to the coast. This is an IVT or bust scenario for us IMO.

Hes saying even with the closed off h5 coming south, without the trough turning negative quickly this still scoots to our NE fast instead of slowing down and getting tugged closer to the coast. This is an IVT or bust scenario for us IMO.

The good news is I think the positioning of that trof is going to be fairly stable from here on in, the orientation of everything at 500-850 argues for it to position itself very close to the axis of LI and NYC

Beware that the south trend only really helps if it can turn negative somewhat quickly off the coast, if it tracks south of us but is more or less positively tilted til offshore it won't make a huge difference.  This looks like a rich man's version of 2/25/90 to me right now, stronger low with a norlun type feature that may impact the same general latitude but extend further west.

That's a terrific point to raise now at this juncture before people get too excited about the H5 evolution/trend.

The .25 line gets just west of EWR and more as you go east. There's a max of over 3" of QPF juuuuust SE of Maine.

I can't lie , I don't like the model . But it's VV and its 500 mb placement are more important than the QPF it spits out to me.

Gun to my head like I told Timmy before I sign for 4 with 40 mph winds.

Maybe we rally to the GEM , I just want to see more. But the NAM looks good aloft

Snowgoose summed it up pretty well that the initial movement of the trough scoots everything NE towards New England too fast for a huge snow event around NYC, but the 500mb low going underneath can hopefully mean the flow backs from off the ocean and some snow banding can work back into LI and NYC, enough for 3-5" maybe. Boston probably gets double that, then huge amounts in Maine. 

Archived