• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread - Part 2

IsentropicLift

That's just society today, soft, and easily offended. Like how every kid gets a trophy so no ones feelings get hurt. Screw that, one shouldn't hurt someone's feelings on purpose and at the same time we can't protect everyone's feelings. My kids for years have heard from me "sometimes life sucks so get a helmet". You gotta build 'em tough.

Agree, two of the most over used words you see today are "outraged" and "offended" ...society is just super soft...its embarrassing.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree, two of the most over used words you see today are "outraged" and "offended" ...society is just super soft...its embarrassing.

Most outrage (or lack of outrage) is inconsistently manifested...i.e., it all depends on whose ox is gored. 

Mehh, if it was NYC getting blitzed all the time we'd be bragging and celebrating too. DC/Balt/Philly had its year in 09-10 (also last year to an extent in March), Boston has its years (obviously climo favors them because of lat/long), NYC should have its year soon. 03-04 was really the last NYC/I-80 year, as most storms after Dec were either too warm from Philly south and too suppressed for Boston.

Also, NYC is by far the hardest city in the metropolis to forecast for, as it could be slammed by any type of Northeast storm, but also shafted by every type. Big miller A's that can be suppressed can edge NYC in, but can be suppressed too much. Miller B redevelopers can slam NYC, but sometimes develop too late and only really slam eastern New England. NYC is the dividing line between the SNE climate and northern Mid Atlantic climate. That extends into the spring as well with the backdoor fronts.

Also, a few times since 2000 NYC beat Boston in winter snow totals, and in terms of averages is actually higher on Boston proportionally than previous. So NYC's had a great run too.

Lol, Mid Atlantic thread has just gone bonkers. People giving up there love of snow and leaving the forum.

Zwyts lost his mind again? Deja vu. It would definitely be interesting to see an actual study about what kind of mental health issues weather weenies have. My guess is many people suffer from aspergers or are on the high end of the autism spectrum. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Or is there? Who knows, the one thing I definitely know is that we all want that infamous biblical east coast snowstorm that cripples and paralyzes the entire i-95 corridor with 2 to 3 feet of snow and mountains of drifts. Alright, sweet , sweet dreams weenies!

Zwyts lost his mind again? Deja vu. It would definitely be interesting to see an actual study about what kind of mental health issues weather weenies have. My guess is many people suffer from aspergers or are on the high end of the autism spectrum. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Or is there? Who knows, the one thing I definitely know is that we all want that infamous biblical east coast snowstorm that cripples and paralyzes the entire i-95 corridor with 2 to 3 feet of snow and mountains of drifts. Alright, sweet , sweet dreams weenies!

I bet some of these folks left the weather forum for a train forum. If the snow doesn't come, there is always the endless ramblings of train hobbyists. I am sure many folks get the same excitement when talking trains, like they get talking blizzards.

Many people do not realize that yams are not sweet potatoes. Most of what you find in stores are yams. Sweet potatoes are available usually at farmers markets. Both are great but if you've never actually tried a real sweet potato.....make it a priority

Sweet potato :

aa45e2813131134ec6361b67149a17ce.jpg

Yam:

12213b0f69f6661333126f10ea4c02e3.jpg

Now a recipe (same for both).....try it and love it.....

1.) rinse and dry the sweet potatoes/yams

2.) poke each several times with a fork

3.) lay out tinfoil on the lower oven rack (to clean up when it drops)

4.) place the sweet potatoes/yams on middle oven rack

5.) turn oven on to 425 degrees (do not preheat!)

6.) bake them for 45-55 minutes (45 for smaller ones, 50 for medium sized, 55 for large ones)

7.) turn oven off but allow them to sit inside for an additional 20 minutes

Once out of oven and cooled a bit, just peel them (the skin should come right off) and enjoy!

Archived